The secret to good tone is...

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bucket said:
    The secret to good tone, as we all know, is actually having a really good fuzz pedal.
    Goji would be proud *wipes away a tear*
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • icarusiicarusi Frets: 2
    edited April 2014

I remember my 'tone' quest. One part involved heavier guitars with set necks, another involved some players who had the sounds I wanted but couldn't get. The next involved more gear and how to work and set-up a trem unit. Later it was lighter guitars with good bolt-on necks getting a similar sound. Later still it was how budget can you go and get that sound so that a beginner could get good enough gear to develop sufficient technique to cover all bases without having to spend a lot.

I still like to try different stuff and often find what should work doesn't and what shouldn't work does, so rarely buy online (unless I've already tried it somewhere).

The finger thing is important. A lot of the guys (though not all) who had the tone I was after were big guys and they just seemed to have much more control over the guitar than I had at the time (or other guitarists whose sound I wasn't coveting).

Apart from the usual suspects the players tones I've targeted have been, in order, Andy Latimer, Adrain Gurvitz, Larry Carlton Gary Moore, Alan Murphy, Robben Ford, Jimmy Herring, Wayne Krantz, Mike Walker, Dave Grissom, Mike Stern, Oz Noy, Charles Altura.............

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Lixarto said:
    Bucket said:
    The secret to good tone, as we all know, is actually having a really good fuzz pedal.
    Goji would be proud *wipes away a tear*
    Goji is well, I trust?

Here's my fuzz pedal, it's magnificent. See 1:15:

Here's my planned purchase for the small board:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited April 2015
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'm not sure I've ever had good tone, but if I do I'll be sure to update the thread.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    This is the key to good tone

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited June 2015
    jellyroll;204764" said:

So why do pros bother wasting money on expensive equipment?
    Because we live in a consumer society, and as responsible citizens it is our duty to consume.
    ;)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    This thread was a bit hard to read at points. Gosh.

The only thing I want to add is people banging on about "small" or "thin" guitar tones... Well you can't really judge a guitar on a record- no doubt it's been compressed 147 different ways and ran through high and low pass filters before being slid into a particular sonic bandwidth in a track.... And if the bands tour is big enough this will probably happen live too.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143

The secret to good tone is...

Being able to play the guitar.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Good taste.  That's all.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    1. A Les Paul with a extremely microphonic humbucker and a Bigsby.
    2. Being Neil Young
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ......only dependent on 'Gear' to a certain point, after which it's all about how YOU play.
    If you gave David Gilmour a reasonable guitar and a reasonable amp, he would sound like David Gilmour playing it.

The secret to good tone is using reasonable gear and playing it exceptionally well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Having a good pair of ears and using them.

Maybe, good hearing and talent is genetically handed down by DNA.

So, it's probably better if your Mum was a bit of a groupy with a good ear for musical talent.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."