Which basic guitar design do you most associate with?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4149
    edited August 2018
    Single cuts. Not necessarily Les Pauls, though I do love those, and own one. I've also got an ESP EC-256. Back when I started playing (around 1989) most of my favourite players used Les Pauls. Page, Slash, etc.

I remember watching the Freddy Mercury tribute concert (1992?) and Kirk Hammet was playing an ESP single cut and I thought "I want something like that". Still don't have something like that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    For me it's a Strat, superstrat or double cut - e.g. PRS, Eggle Berlin, etc. I've owned several LP's, a couple of Flying V's and one or two other oddities but they're never quite as comfortable.

Not sure there's much difference between a Strat and a superstrat as far as basic ergonomics are concerned. If you start getting into number of frets, pickup type/config, bridge design, etc, you may as well ask "what's your favourite guitar". For example, my Blade RH-4 is a superstrat but ergonomically it's not much different to a basic Fender Strat.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Strat shapes for definite.  They always feel the most comfortable and well balanced.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Probably Les Paul Special or Junior.
    Basically the Gibson slab models.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Bendercaster.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I have dalliances with other guitars but I always feel most at home with a Strat.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 875
    Strat for me
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Superstrat. I want to say ES-335, but I'd be lying.

Superstrats are the most practical Guitar, but dynamic too.

...Not as classy as a ES-335 though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Anything double cut that isn't too heavy. I don't really mind which neck I'm using although prefer something that isn't too thin. I never really change controls while I'm playing so that doesn't make much difference either.

I like my Strat, and my Revstar better than my Les Paul shape wise. 
  • I find the 25.5" scale Telecaster the easiest to play, easiest to get a good sound, and nice and light for somebody of small frame like myself.

That said I don't like making it easy on myself so at present I've an Airline Jetsons style (bit like jazzmaster shape) but 24" scale, a Supro style Twin Tone (bit like a very smalled down LP shape), a diy SG and I'm about to finish setting up another Airline Map which is more like LP dimensionsi think, albeit lighter.

The Tele was the best though but it's a bit late now lol
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Offset. Probably JM. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Despite not having owned one for a few years, Stratocaster. My hands just seem to fall in the right place on a Strat. 

From a purely aesthetic perspective, Telecaster. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    I always end up with a Strat.
    1. Gasp! 
    2. Wanna buy one of my surplus Stratocasters? ;)

Many of my worst guitar habits were formed on a Japanese copy Telecaster. Bass-wise, the Fender Jazz - ideally, with a Precision Bass width neck.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Funkfingers said:

ideally, with a Precision Bass width neck.

It’s always about girth with you isn’t it? ;)
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Telecaster ;)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    @HarrySeven a Strat? Given your reputation for owning every weird and wonderful guitar on the planet I'm surprised at this answer! Or has your role as proprietor of the (ware)house of magical musical creations informed your choice - because Strats just work.
    Yeah, they do. It’s it’s what I always return to - and it’s a rare occasion indeed (in around 40 years of owning/playing) if there isn’t *something* Strat-ish in the collection.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Great question.

Originally an SG. Totally by chance. Back in the day, a second-hand Gibson, for  anyone who was not in London, was a rare opportunity that you grabbed. If it had been a Gibson 330 I would have grabbed that.

And so......having the Cowboy Chords situated in a different postcode was just "normal" to me. Even the narrower width at the nut was not an issue, because no one had told me it was narrow at the nut.
    Les Pauls did not feel "normal" even though I actually owned an early Re-issue. This problem was resolved by a short spell not playing.......and then waking up one day realising that the Les Paul is the worlds great guitar design. The Pre-Historic Les Paul was rescued from the wardrobe and my jaw dropped at what I had been missing.
    So for me - Les Paul.
    I

• @HarrySeven a Strat? Given your reputation for owning every weird and wonderful guitar on the planet I'm surprised at this answer! Or has your role as proprietor of the (ware)house of magical musical creations informed your choice - because Strats just work.
    Yeah, they do. It’s it’s what I always return to - and it’s a rare occasion indeed (in around 40 years of owning/playing) if there isn’t *something* Strat-ish in the collection.

Aye, but the collection also contains something LPish, SGish, Jaguarish, Jazzmasterish, Mustangish, Teleish, 335ish, Mosriteish, Synthish... Etc...etc... ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    @HarrySeven a Strat? Given your reputation for owning every weird and wonderful guitar on the planet I'm surprised at this answer! Or has your role as proprietor of the (ware)house of magical musical creations informed your choice - because Strats just work.

Aye, but the collection also contains something LPish, SGish, Jaguarish, Jazzmasterish, Mustangish, Teleish, 335ish, Mosriteish, Synthish... Etc...etc... ;-)
    True! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Super Strat. I've tried all shapes from traditional to modern pointy weapon shapes and the super Strat is just a more accessible Strat shape.