Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16714
    skunkwerx said:
    Rocker said:
    Music shops selling CDs and vinyl

Maplins

Tea shops/cafes where you can get a decent cup of tea or coffee

Decent fish and chips shops

Apart from Maplins I see all of those ( albeit far fewer music shops these days). Perhaps I live in a bubble with the only cafes left. 
    Well, we’re certainly not a many as we once was (I work for hmv). There used to be a few local in my area, I survived the Ilford closure, then Beckton and latest to go is Stratford where I imagine rent was way too high.

They are actually reopening the HMV here.  WTF is that about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    RandomReg. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Gagaryn said:
    Yellow film in shop windows to stop window displays from fading in the sun.

Although recently saw a shop in Shetland that still had yellow film in the window, as it's still 1975 in Shetland.
    FTFY :)

(And about 1990 in Orkney! )

WezV said:

Realising that their new business model of selling stuff people want at prices they're willing to pay actually works. Who would have thought? ;)

The Glasgow Argyle St one is always mobbed when I'm in. They did close the Buchanan St one, but what was the point of having two within half a mile of each other in the first place?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    Gagaryn said:

Although recently saw a shop in Shetland that still had yellow film in the window, strange as it's seldom sunny in Shetland.
    I saw some in a shop in Lampeter last week - funnily enough my missus and I had been talking about nobody using it any more a few days before that. 
  • The Test Card.

The white spot in the middle of the screen when you turn the telly off.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    p90fool said:
    RandomReg. 
    Too soon?

ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

Although recently saw a shop in Shetland that still had yellow film in the window, as it's still 1975 in Shetland.
    FTFY :)

(And about 1990 in Orkney! )

WezV said:

Realising that their new business model of selling stuff people want at prices they're willing to pay actually works. Who would have thought? ;)

The Glasgow Argyle St one is always mobbed when I'm in. They did close the Buchanan St one, but what was the point of having two within half a mile of each other in the first place?

I was in the merry hill one on Saturday and the stuff I was looking at was same as Amazon prices, didn't used to be. 
    There were three HMVs in Birmingham city centre which always seemed a bit crazy so cutting it back to one big one felt like something they should have done long before their financial problems. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    My cock and my feet :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    tell me about it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    CHRISB50 said:
    tell me about it

I can't, I can't see them

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    ESBlonde said:
    When I was young (60s/70s) there were many more smokers and even in the villages the roadside grass was littered with discarded cigarette packets. The buses, pubs, anywhere really stank of stale tabacco.
    There were also a larger portion of disabled servicemen to be seen daily about towns as they struggled about on wooden crutches etc.
    Dogpoo was more common (including the white stuff) indeed the 'cartoon banana skin' is a polite way of displaying the poo / slip moment, it was certainly more common than now fortunately.
    Children playing in the street and inventing games/scenarios.
    Large industrial towns, not many left now, once upon a time a few large employers took pretty much all the schools output as apprentices and gave them jobs for life. Now people live miles from work and commute meaning many homes have multiple cars and creating the on street car parking mess we see all the time now.
    Easy to mourne the changes but on probability our general health and standard of living is way better than it was say 40 years ago.
    Marlboro used to do free gifts for the foil inserts from fag packets; years ago I got a free pair of Ray Bans from picking them up off the road.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited August 2018

Have enjoyed a lot of these things - grew up in the 70's so especially remember all of the above ^

I had forgotten quite how much dog muck there used to be.

My memories of family gatherings in the 70s are a terrifying, fire inducing mix of chain smoking and nylon clothing.

Another one - cigarette cards, I remember devouring the catalogue looking at the toys I could buy with the cards my grandmother was smoking herself to death with to collect

Insane when you look back on it

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    peteri said:

Have enjoyed a lot of these things - grew up in the 70's so especially remember all of the above ^

I had forgotten quite how much dog muck there used to be.

My memories of family gatherings in the 70s are a terrifying, fire inducing mix of chain smoking and nylon clothing.

Another one - cigarette cards, I remember devouring the catalogue looking at the toys I could buy with the cards my grandmother was smoking herself to death with to collect

Insane when you look back on it

Oh god yes, cigarette coupons. Forgot about those. My mate used to smoke Kensitas (always known as Cancertas) and collected the coupons religiously. As soon as he got anywhere near the amount he needed, a new catalogue would come out and the amount of tokens had gone up. We always reckoned he’d eventually have enough for an iron lung when he was about 70. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    edited August 2018
    Green shield stamps,
    Tiger tails hanging from rear view mirrors.
    Metal AA badges on car bumpers.
    AA boxes on the roadside.
    Dogs under 12" high were puppies not handbag pets.
    Men still sporting DA haircuts.
    People washing thier own cars on sunday morning.
    Families going out together all dressed in thier sunday best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    In the days before all-day telly, trade test transmissions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    JAYJO said:

Clackers wrapped around a phone line next to a pair of baseball boots.

You still get those in a couple of towns around here - used by the local yoof gangs to mark the territorial boundaries.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Prostitutes and drug dealers hanging around Kings Cross Station, a few years ago there were hundreds of them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • families rushing home with a giant bag of popcorn and malteses and a small pile of vhs cassettes from blockbusters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2018
    my old chap when looking down
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yam Fizzies going meeemeemememe meeeemeemeememe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    zepp76 said:
    The thing I don't see in my area anymore is workmen at roadworks, there are loads of coned off roadworks around here but the workmen are never to be seen! It took nearly 6-8 months for our local roundabout to be repaired/renewed, I drove through it at least twice a week and didn't see a single workman in all that time but it still eventually got done.
    Highway repairs is the job with the highest death rate in the UK. For the safety of the workforce, most of the work on major roads and motorways is done at night, so the volume of traffic is lower and their high vis really pops.