Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pics of the guitar you're currently playing most...

What's Hot
1789101113»

Comments

• This one 

https://i.imgur.com/XiPfWCF.jpg

Vela, it’s lovely  but it may be on the block as I may need something with full on humbuckers which I don’t own at the moment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GT said:

My 1977 Yamaha SG2000, recently refretted and fitted with a set of Oil City Tubesnakes.
    Beautiful! A really nice burst.

I have an 83 SG1000 and have long thought about removing the pickups and rings and replacing them with something more PAF like. I don't use the splits.

As your original pickups are the same as mine, has it been worth it to you? I always feel the originals are a bit too hot these days and those do look good in that guitar.

I daren't ask this question but are they more organic!   Sorry.   More open? I think the originals are a bit too focused but back in the day that was ok. I don't use a lot of gain.
    Thanks.
    Like you, I found the originals very "closed" sounding.  The neck I found usable - it had a decent amount of clarity, but lacked the warmth of a good neck humbucker.  The bridge was just too thin and compressed.  Perhaps if I played with a lot of gain they may have been OK - but for clean to light drive, I felt they lacked character.

The new set is like night and day - a huge improvement.  I now have all the body I felt was lacking, but still with plenty of articulation, and the dynamic response is way better.  I'd definitely recommend having a chat to @TheGuitarWeasel ; (Ash
     at Oil City) - he was very helpful and patient in dealing with my many queries, and clearly knows both how to make a great pickup and how to match it to a customer's requirements.

I replaced all the pots for 500k CTS, and I kept a split on the tone pots (push-pull, because CTS don't make push-push, and I wanted to get the best quality pots available).  The stock tone pot was 300k, but went to no-load at 10.  I found that a bit "all or nothing" - it was hard to get a softer sound without going muddy.  Again, the new pots fix that and I can get lots of usable sounds, particularly between about 3 and 7.

Regarding coil splits - I had previously installed partial split resistors, and had the same put into the new wiring.  It makes the split sounds much more usable - still distinctly single coil in character, but with less of a volume drop.  I don't use them a great deal in positions 1 and 3, but I play a lot in the middle position, and there I find mixing one single coil with one full humbucker quite useful.

Aesthetically, I saw a tobacco SG2000 with nickel covered PAFs a while ago and always liked the look.  I'm sure the SG2000 purists would be appalled, but it's my guitar :)  I would have liked to keep the reflector knobs, but I find speed knobs easier to use live - particularly on push-pull pots.  These are from Gibson and I think they look pretty good.

So, let's have a look at your SG1000 then :)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    edited September 2018

There ya go!

Many thanks for your post. You mirror my thoughts almost exactly. I have never liked the no-load tone pots on the SG's because on 10 the pickups are bright and once you lower the tone pot , as you say, they go muddy. The pickups are fine with gain but, again like you, I play mainly clean and light overdrive these days. Paf type of output is where I am tone wise.

I would probably keep the pots and just change the pickups so it is easy to go back to spec should I sell it. That's unlikely though! 
    I will browse the Guitar Weasels site and have a look see. I have been meaning to anyway because he gets a great rep on here. 
    Many thanks for taking the time!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    edited September 2018
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    slacker said:
    My Jet lust just went through the roof. Again!  :3
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    dazzajl said: hi
    slacker said:
    It's a sparkle jet with a drum finish top. It's growing on me.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2018
    I continue to play this the most out of everything I have owned since around 2004.

My friends bought me it for Xmas while travelling round Asia together for a year, I think in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

It's branded 'Future', written in the Fender font, and despite having bought, and sold, many expensive acoustics since nothing comes close to how it sounds and feels.

• crunchman said:
    terada said:
    crunchman said:
    terada said:

Lovely, I could look at that all day!

R9?
    Yes.

At least I bought it first up and didn't buy an R8 as well. :)
    Of course! I can see why you gave up after that one. Stonking guitar
    It doesn't just look nice.  It sounds plays well and sounds great as well.  I had a 2010 R8 before but this one seems a lot more articulate.  I know the post 2013 ones have a better reputation since they removed the sheath around the truss rod.  I suspect the Custom Buckers are better than the old Burstbuckers as well.  Whatever the reason it sounds really good.
    Love the dark board on that guitar, Seems like R9's in particular have darker boards
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    slacker said:
    dazzajl said: hi
    slacker said:
    It's a sparkle jet with a drum finish top. It's growing on me.
    I’ve looked at one many times. I’m love this one and the Champagne Sparkle but then there is something so classy about a black Jet too. I get paralysis in the end. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited September 2018
    Finally figured out how to post pics from imgur as copied images. Don't judge me on the books, the biographies belong to my wife. 

2004 Mexican Standard, upgraded in 2008 with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups which suit the big, open stuff I play using a lot of pedals. Best neck I've ever played. I think I was lucky and got a very good one. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Cheating I know but these get fairly equal play time at present, the ES335 slightly more as its new.

https://i.imgur.com/3XrdF9U.jpg