Worth the money ...

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
edited August 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader
As a counterbalance to some of the negativity that's been floating around on here of late, here's some stuff that i think is definitely worth the money:
Electrosockets for Telecasters: simply the first upgrade I do to any Tele. That original cup design is truly horrible, and an Electrosocket just rights a  60+ year cock up.

Wilkinson Strat trems: simply the best bang per buck for upgrading a lower end Strat.

Switchcraft jack sockets: they just feel so much better than the far eastern ones.

Earvana nut: perhaps a contentious one, but after getting our Feline demo Strat that came fitted with one ... I'm convinced they are the way forward. It simply plays more in tune than any other guitar in our rack.

And a couple of more personal ones: those little Joyo 'American' and 'British' etc pedals ... way more fun for your money than their 'cost of a round at the pub' prices.

And finally ... any good, wide, comfortable strap :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Totally agree with the earvana nut my strat has one fitted and my experience has been the same as yours.  My prs is the only other guitar which comes close.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Tell me more of this electrosocket sorcery. Genuine desire for enlightenment in my pitiful ignorance (Standard Tele jack sockets do my head in)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    Sits in the hole for the cup and is secured by two screws ... simples

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794

Zen Mastery
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    tFB Trader
    I fit em to all my Teles ... they just do the job. 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    edited August 2018

Agree. I’ve also just got a few of the dual contact jack sockets that balance the forces on the jack plug- think that will be a good improvement on the standard design.

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/pure-tone-multi-contact-1-4-output-jack-socket?variant=5383178453021
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    Ooooo those look interesting ... 

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Homeoftone  looks interesting. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader

You should fit a nut and washer BEHIND the electrosocket so the threaded part of the jack sits flush with the smooth surface of the electrosocket. Makes it much easier to glide the jack plug in .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My offering is the humble Gotoh SD91 split post tuners.  Really well made feel great to use and only cost about £34 you can buy cheaper machineheads but I’m not sure why you’d bother.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And easier to put the screws in!

• Good to recognise some positives. A little creative design thinking can go a long way and make things easier.Given the the plethora of gear reviews that are available, it defeats me why the big brands keep getting away with the same old same old.

tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    My offering is the humble Gotoh SD91 split post tuners.  Really well made feel great to use and only cost about £34 you can buy cheaper machineheads but I’m not sure why you’d bother.  
    Every time I stab myself with a cut string end on one of my non Fender style guitars I thank the lord for split post tuners on the majority of my Teles and Strats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Evertune. It might not be for everyone but as far as I’m concerned I love it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    Decent set of locking tuners. Makes life so much easier, I want them fitted to all my guitars!
    tFB Trader
    Evertune. It might not be for everyone but as far as I’m concerned I love it. 
    Never actually tried Evertune products ... but i'm always open to new ideas. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14503
    Freeway 3x3-03 six-way toggle pickup selector switch. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Can I add this:

The little pickup polarity tester that StewMac do. It's a god send for anyone doing pickups swaps, magnet flips, or just sorting out which, out of a box full of Strat pickups, will work with each other. 
    It's sub a tenner ... and my most used tool in the workshop.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7810

You should fit a nut and washer BEHIND the electrosocket so the threaded part of the jack sits flush with the smooth surface of the electrosocket. Makes it much easier to glide the jack plug in .

A good point, however if you use a right-angled jack then the above is perfect (for a Neutrik jack at least).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    do the earvana nuts need much experience to change out, and are they just for strats?