Worth the money ...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TC electronic clip on tuner. It works. Perfectly. 

A good setup by someone who knows what they're doing. Can transform a guitar from ok to awesome. 

(Without meaning to inflate any egos  ;) )
     Oil City Pickups & harnesses. Compared to stock pickups it's like going from 128kbps to lossless. Everything is clearer & better defined. 
    Agree so much with the TC Electronic clip-on. Blows my mind that it can even work, never mind be so accurate, when all the other instruments are playing loudly in the same room. I use it for bass which it works perfectly for while many tuners, even plugin ones, struggle with bass.

Also vouch for Oil City, really good price and they sound amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Behringer BDI21 Bass Preamp. £27.

About 99% of a Sansamp but £172 cheaper and perfect for DI'ing bass into your recording setup for some reasonably good vintage bass tones on a budget. Perfect for guitarists that just want a bit of proper bass on recordings without spending £££
    Big time!

Hard to believe such a good pedal can be had for such little money. The pedal itself is a bit lightweight but the sound is good. I wonder if you're being diplomatic by saying 99%; I read a blind test between that and the Sansamp and no one was able to tell the difference.

Recently, though, I've got the Amplitube Ampeg software for bass and it's got that "kid in a sweetshop" thing. You can actually move the mics around on the little drawings of mic stands and it changes the impulse response to one recorded with that mic in that spot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    thegummy said:
    Behringer BDI21 Bass Preamp. £27.

About 99% of a Sansamp but £172 cheaper and perfect for DI'ing bass into your recording setup for some reasonably good vintage bass tones on a budget. Perfect for guitarists that just want a bit of proper bass on recordings without spending £££
    Big time!

Hard to believe such a good pedal can be had for such little money. The pedal itself is a bit lightweight but the sound is good. I wonder if you're being diplomatic by saying 99%; I read a blind test between that and the Sansamp and no one was able to tell the difference.

Recently, though, I've got the Amplitube Ampeg software for bass and it's got that "kid in a sweetshop" thing. You can actually move the mics around on the little drawings of mic stands and it changes the impulse response to one recorded with that mic in that spot.
    My 99% was based on the fact the Sansamp is probably more gig-robust ;)
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Adam_MD said:
    Whitecat said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Whitecat said:
    Duesenberg Les Trems are a bargain if you wanna add a wobble bar to almost any kind of standard tune-o-matic stoptail setup and not damage anything... much cheaper than a Bigsby rig (drilled or not) and arguably more stable. 

+1 for the Joyos... reliable, inexpensive, great sound... Mooer is in a similar vein. 
    I like the idea of the Duesenberg trem but just don’t think it looks very nice on anything apart from a Duesenberg.  I suppose it’s familiarity with bigsbys on a les Paul but I just think the Duesenberg looks weird.  
    Yeah, it’s a bit visually challenging, I agre, but for me functionality trumps appearance... and it does what it’s meant to very well. 
    I’d really like to try one everyone I know who has tried one says they’re really smooth and feel great to use.  
    I've a Les Trem on my Yammy SA2200; looks great to my eye and performs as it should.  Great innovation, stays in tune and does not impact on the guitars original tone either
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    Mini spark boost. Jet City amp Jca50 head
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    Gotoh Hardware: I've had bass tuners, guitar bridges and tuners and all were great value and nicely thought out.

Squier Classic vibe series: prices have gone up since but when introduced they were awesomely good for the price. 

PRS S2 guitars: not seen a dud yet and play beautifully. I'd buy two if I was starting over.

Switchcraft & Neutrik sockets and plugs.

Buffalo pedals: Great build quality and parts used. 

Eastman guitars: great guitars
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited August 2018
    This very handy little gadget for pulling out acoustic guitar bridge pins. It works a treat, doesn't mark the bridge (unlike some others) and saves your fingernails.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Jimbro66 said:

silence is golden?
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Jimbro66 said:

silence is golden?
    The little devil went off before I'd typed anything. The beauty of touch screens, eh? :)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Stringwinders, Neutrik-ended Sommer cables, Heistercamp straps & Earvana nuts
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    String winders with string snips combined.

Shubb capo, a brilliant design that lets you shorten the fretboard with minimal added tension on the strings.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    One of those little stubby Phillips screwdrivers in the gigbag - you can get them for a quid, and useful for changing pickup heights quickly, or tightening up screws that have gotten themselves a bit loose. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    For anyone looking for an OCD type pedal the Joyo ultimate drive sounds fantastic for fraction of the price of a real one 
  • skunkwerx said:
    sgosden said:
    do the earvana nuts need much experience to change out, and are they just for strats?
    Not at all. 

Many Esp’s used to come standard with them. 

Can’t say on the experience side of fitting them, but Feline fitted an Earvana to my explorer. 
    I had an LTD EC1000, that came with an Earvana nut as standard. Another vote from me, it was a very sweet sounding guitar.

And locking tuners, as has also already been said. Godsend!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I know this is the guitar section, but coloured XLR cables are well worth paying extra for; they make setting up the PA so much easier! They even help with disentanglement at the end.
    A good idea is a good idea wherever it's posted. 
    Disagree.  I did exactly this to help simplify set-up for my technically challenged band members.  Every time I stand out front the orange cables to the bass bins annoy the life out of me :)