Worth the money ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    sgosden said:
    do the earvana nuts need much experience to change out, and are they just for strats?
    Can’t answer for experience the guys at Feline guitars fitted mine but I do know they come in different formats so you can fit them to anything. My tele and les Paul are next up to have one fitted.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know this is the guitar section, but coloured XLR cables are well worth paying extra for; they make setting up the PA so much easier! They even help with disentanglement at the end.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I know this is the guitar section, but coloured XLR cables are well worth paying extra for; they make setting up the PA so much easier! They even help with disentanglement at the end.
    A good idea is a good idea wherever it's posted. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Duesenberg Les Trems are a bargain if you wanna add a wobble bar to almost any kind of standard tune-o-matic stoptail setup and not damage anything... much cheaper than a Bigsby rig (drilled or not) and arguably more stable. 

+1 for the Joyos... reliable, inexpensive, great sound... Mooer is in a similar vein. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Duesenberg Les Trems are a bargain if you wanna add a wobble bar to almost any kind of standard tune-o-matic stoptail setup and not damage anything... much cheaper than a Bigsby rig (drilled or not) and arguably more stable. 

+1 for the Joyos... reliable, inexpensive, great sound... Mooer is in a similar vein. 
    I like the idea of the Duesenberg trem but just don’t think it looks very nice on anything apart from a Duesenberg.  I suppose it’s familiarity with bigsbys on a les Paul but I just think the Duesenberg looks weird.  
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Adam_MD said:
    Whitecat said:

I like the idea of the Duesenberg trem but just don’t think it looks very nice on anything apart from a Duesenberg.  I suppose it’s familiarity with bigsbys on a les Paul but I just think the Duesenberg looks weird.  
    Yeah, it’s a bit visually challenging, I agre, but for me functionality trumps appearance... and it does what it’s meant to very well. 
  • TC electronic clip on tuner. It works. Perfectly. 

A good setup by someone who knows what they're doing. Can transform a guitar from ok to awesome. 

(Without meaning to inflate any egos  ;) )
     Oil City Pickups & harnesses. Compared to stock pickups it's like going from 128kbps to lossless. Everything is clearer & better defined. 
    tFB Trader
    TC electronic clip on tuner. It works. Perfectly. 

A good setup by someone who knows what they're doing. Can transform a guitar from ok to awesome. 

(Without meaning to inflate any egos  ;) )
     Oil City Pickups & harnesses. Compared to stock pickups it's like going from 128kbps to lossless. Everything is clearer & better defined. 
    Thank you mate, the quality of the components in the harness must take much of the credit. Good pots, switches and sockets make all the difference. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Whitecat said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Whitecat said:

Yeah, it’s a bit visually challenging, I agre, but for me functionality trumps appearance... and it does what it’s meant to very well. 
    I’d really like to try one everyone I know who has tried one says they’re really smooth and feel great to use.  
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    sgosden said:
    do the earvana nuts need much experience to change out, and are they just for strats?
    Not at all. 

Many Esp’s used to come standard with them. 

Can’t say on the experience side of fitting them, but Feline fitted an Earvana to my explorer. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Behringer BDI21 Bass Preamp. £27.

About 99% of a Sansamp but £172 cheaper and perfect for DI'ing bass into your recording setup for some reasonably good vintage bass tones on a budget. Perfect for guitarists that just want a bit of proper bass on recordings without spending £££
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    A sturdy four wheel trolley, to move kit from the car for a gig (and back to the car after the gig), is worth its weight in gold.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    A sturdy four wheel trolley, to move kit from the car for a gig (and back to the car after the gig), is worth its weight in gold.
    As someone who used to gig with a Twin Reverb ... a small fork lift is handy too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    OK. Before anyone else says it: Axe FX, or Helix for that matter. Both are a lot cheaper, and easier to carry, than the equivalent stomp boxes and pedal board. I know that some people can’t get on with them, but some of us can’t cope with 100w amps and 4x12 cabinets either.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3859
    edited August 2018
    String winders - went for so long restringing just with my own fair hands as never got round to getting a winder. Amazing how much quicker it is to restring now! Makes a tedious job marginally less tedious.

FX wise it's gotta be a decent EQ pedal. The amount of different sounds and different options for boosting/tone-shaping etc from one little box is amazing. If I ever wonder how to get a certain sound, before I start thinking about any new gear I go and have tweak of my Boss GE-7 and see if I can coax the right sound from it. I got mine 2nd hand for £25 and it's easily the best value £25 I ever spent on guitar gear.
    tFB Trader
    String winders - went for so long restringing just with my own fair hands as never got round to getting a winder. Amazing how much quicker it is to restring now! Makes a tedious job marginally less tedious.

I got a free one from Mojotone USA for Independence Day or Thanksgiving (can't remember which) last year :-)

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    VFM: this forum. Lots of in-depth knowledge from hard-won experience across all areas, freely shared.

The general Dadsnet type topics on all sorts always get good knowledgeable advice too. Brill humour all over too.

Stating the bleedin' obvious, but hey.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Corvus said:
    VFM: this forum. Lots of in-depth knowledge from hard-won experience across all areas, freely shared.

The general Dadsnet type topics on all sorts always get good knowledgeable advice too. Brill humour all over too.

Stating the bleedin' obvious, but hey.
    Haha actually its a great call! Right infront of us but thinking about it, its saved me a hell of a lot of hassle, time, money and anxiety being on here. 

Also met some great folk too. 

Will have to actually meet some of you someday!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Proper wire strippers if you do any amount of wiring be it guitar internals or pedals.  I spent way too long mucking about trying to strip cables with a razor blade or a knife.  
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    Proper wire strippers if you do any amount of wiring be it guitar internals or pedals.  I spent way too long mucking about trying to strip cables with a razor blade or a knife.  
    Can't beat a good stripper when you need one .... :-)
    I use a CK Tools one ... it does everything from fine pigtail wires to four conductor humbucker cable.