Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Electro-Acoustics

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
Lets just suppose that I was thinking about venturing into the land of electro-acoustics.

I had an Ovation something-or-other years ago, and whilst the neck end was fine, the body was one of the bowl backs, so it kept slipping away from me if I tried playing it sat down.  Which was the only time I played it.  Being a electrics-only player, I don't want a mahoosive body, and a cutaway would be handy, so that I can at least imagine playing up that end.

What am I going to use it for?  Just for home fun - I'm not planning on a world tour anytime soon, so live playing would be limited.  Probably limited to theFB's excellent jam sessions.

So ... What would I need to know, what should I look out for and what should I make sure to avoid, any good brands/buys tips, etc.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I've got a freshman and like it a lot, although i've heard their QC has taken a nose dive, I've played Faiths and like them too. Depending on price point Taylor must be worth a look I always hear that they play more like an electric and the few i've played seem to bear that out.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Electro-acoustics are the work of Satan.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
    Price point - good point.

s/h always preferable of course, and I'd prefer the lower end of £300-£500.  Anymore than £500 and it'll get painful.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    I've got a Crafter I bring to all the jams loads of people have played so will have opinions on.  Cost me somewhere in the ballpark of £300 years ago... I think...

I love it though, had it for years.  I'll be bringing it to Quad with me if you haven't decided by then you are welcome to have a play.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Martin X series are worth a gander, tho the used price are creeping up towards what they cost new a few year back.
    Do you know what body size you want?
    rpr said:
    Do you know what body size you want?
    No.  Pros & Cons?
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Generally - smaller bodies - Bright projecting, :Fingerstyle, Dreadnoughts bassier, richer, designed to support vocals, can be boomy, jumbos, more balanced, good strummers.  OMs are a good all rounders, but dreads are probably the most popular shape.
    Thanks @rpr
  • Faith = good. You can trust the intonation on a Faith.

If you like something slightly different try the Epiphone Masterbilt Century acoustic archtops.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    Secondhand Faith, Eastman or similar.  There are (or were) quite a few very promising options at Coda recently - I was looking for a mate who now has to postpone his search.

Also worth considering a straight acoustic with after-market electronics (what I ended up with, on a Furch). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you like something slightly different try the Epiphone Masterbilt Century acoustic archtops.
    Now, I think I know why you might be suggesting one of those @Phil_aka_Pip!
    ;)

Too jazzy / bulky for me though, I think.  

Faith is a name I'm aware of - in a positive way.

Yamaha I'd always trust (and I have a 40-odd yo Yamaha acoustic upstairs), and they are plentiful s/h.

Martin might be too much of a stretch within the budget.  Guild has been suggested.  I've seen/heard some good Crafter guitars too.

I'd love one of the Godins, but their electro models hang on to their value a whole lot better than their electrics, which probably rules them out.
  • TTony said:
    Now, I think I know why you might be suggesting one of those @Phil_aka_Pip!
    ;)

Too jazzy / bulky for me though, I think. 
    They come in 3 sizes. I got the middle one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    My experience of Yamaha is that they always seem to be excellent value, but I find them a wee bit soul-less.  Really nice guitars but nothing to get hold of/connect with in that weird intangible area.

However, I feel the same about the limited number of Taylors I've played (well, not necessarily the excellent value bit), so I may just be a crap judge of these things. Or weird compared to other people.
    Any more suggestions to help part this fool man and his money?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    drive to coda and play everything in your budget. It really is the best way to find out. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12408
    What about one of the fender telecoustic/stratacoustic things with an electric style neck, have often thought one of them might be good for home.
  • GS Mini at that price point. Also parlour sized so won't feel like you're trying to get to grips with something the size of a WWE wrestler compared to your electrics

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    @meltedbuzzbox speaks wisdom.

The bad news is that they seem to have sold some of the candidates I was looking at a few weeks ago.  Now there's just this lot
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14307
    tFB Trader
    Try a Takamine Tony - get a good used example - Yamaha APX always popular but I never liked them - But a nice used Jap model and popular amongst many 'electric' based players - EN10C and EF261 are popular