Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Electro-Acoustics

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27631
    ICBM said:
    TTony said:
    @TTony - don't discount a non-electro acoustic with a pickup.  You can usually get a better guitar *and* plugged-in sound via that route.
    I had discounted that because I didn't want to butcher my old Yam acoustic.
    The reason why electro-acoustics are the devil’s work is because most of them use an invasive, unique set of parts - which means they cannot be upgraded or replaced in the event of reliability problems (which although not that common are far from unknown) without a huge amount of work, if it’s even practical at all. So you’re putting a nice guitar which should last decades and improve with age at the mercy of electronics which probably won’t.
    I hadn't considered that at all.

Hmmmmm ... 

And I've just scanned gumtree for local sales of acoustics and found a couple that  look interesting ...

(Still don't fancy putting power tools anywhere near my old Yam acoustic though).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    TTony said:

(Still don't fancy putting power tools anywhere near my old Yam acoustic though).
    You don’t need to. Even if the endpin hole needs enlarging, you do it with a hand reamer - safer than a power drill.

Either a soundhole pickup or a K&K or Baggs iBeam internal pickup doesn’t even need a hole drilled under the saddle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5388
    I'm with ICBM - the replacement for the Tak was a Furch, fitted out with an internal Fishman system.  Bit of a step up in cost, but … :)
    Just back from spending a couple of hours at Peach's little shop in Colchester.

Played a few - Sigma, Eastman, a s/h Crafter, skipped past the Fenders & Epis, Faith, all in the £300-£500 range of my budget, but nothing really clicked.
    :(

And then I went into the Taylor room.

Academy12 - bang on budget, although if I wanted it electro'd, it adds another £100 (they didn't have one in stock).  
    GS Mini - which was a little outside budget, but had a beautiful walnut back and - if you closed your eyes - you'd swear the sound it made was coming from a full-sized body.  Only reason I'm not sat here playing that right now is that I was 100% sure on the size of it.

Head and shoulders above anything else I played there today.  I'm sure if I stretched the budget further still I'd find something I liked more still ... but there has to be a limit.  Ish.

I'm thinking it over.  They might get me an electo'd Academy12 in too, to back-to-back them all ...

No great surprise or news - but top marks to all the guys at Peach.   Scott & Martin and the younger guy whose name I didn't get, were perfect.  No pressured sales pitch, there when you needed them and somewhere else when you didn't.  Don't care if someone else has it £50 cheaper, my money is going to them.

You've got great staff @peachguitarsdotcom .
    :+1: 
    Oops, forgot about this.  In answer to the action question, it's an unscientific "about 1.8mm at the 12th fret".  Haven't had chance to get the proper measuring stick out, but a 1.5mm pick slides underneath with a tiny bit of wiggle room.

Assuming I can fit it and the tele in the car with all of the other crap we have to take to keep SWMBO happy, I'll probably have it up in Norfolk next week for practicing for Quad.  You're welcome to swing by if you want to, but I'm assuming you're really looking at expanding the budget to get something nice, rather than contracting it to get something adequate :)
    Cheers @snags.

I admit to having had a lapse in budgetary control - though not on an R8 scale!

NGD pics will follow when I have some time.

Thanks for the info, and the offer to give it a spin, but on current trends, it’ll be c2055 before I buy my next acoustic ...

Enjoy the hols
    :)

Exciting times :)