R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    Twinfan said:
    I don't think there were any others that low.  I think 8.3lb was the next closest?
    If I take the medallion off mine it will be *just* north of 8.3lb... in imperial terms it was shipped at 8lbs 6oz... so assuming that removes 1oz, metrically-speaking it would be 8.3125lbs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Twinfan said:
    I don't think there were any others that low.  I think 8.3lb was the next closest?
    Mine is  8 lb 1. With the medallion.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    8.2 here with the medallion 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22856
    I used to have an R4 which was 8lb, plus or minus an ounce.  I was probably pretty stupid to sell it.
  • Do any of you regret the purchase? Enjoying it?
    Good question.

It's too early to regret the purchase - after all, the only thing to regret is the outlay, whether it was worth the expense to obtain something special.  Having paid the grand total of £25 so far, ask me a few months down the line when I need to find approx £250 a month from somewhere.

Having said that, I gave the R8 a good play over the weekend, a small gig and a couple of hours jam with @Legionreturns and @Dontgiveupyourdayjob. ; The thing has loads of character - far more than the usual £500-£1k guitars I play.  It's fairly heavy - I know why people go on about heavy LPs now, anything heavier than this would be too heavy.  The neck finish is sticky and coming off in my hand, which I'm not keen on - I had little scraps of finish all over my hand after a while.  Not sure whether this is going to settle down over time - the guitar is over a year old now so shouldn't the finish be properly set?

Now, the upside.  Playing it is just so very right.  The neck, stickiness aside, is superbly playable, better than anything I've had.  The sound is just the sound of proper rock 'n' roll.  To finish this mini review, the thing is unique, there isn't another top like it in the world, any playwear I put on it will be my own, and we shall hopefully grow old disgracefully together, and perhaps even my sons might end up loving it as well.

TL;DR - no regrets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    @Modellista ; the stickiness on the neck should go away over time.  A year is unusual though.  I've had 3 or 4 new nitro guitars, and they have all got significantly better in the first 6 months, and keep getting better after that.  Normally, they are fine by 18 months in.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Just keep polishing it and playing it.  It will go in no time.
  • Another deposit cancellation! One more washed cherry up on the site and just over 8lb I believe
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Modellista that's also one thing I'm not keen on. I really love sleek satin necks, but I'm sure you can probably do something about that!

•    DougCoda said:
    Another deposit cancellation! One more washed cherry up on the site and just over 8lb I believe
    8.1 and 1/4 from the picture
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    @Modellista - the neck stickiness was addressed about 20 pages ago! Keep up chap! I think @peachguitarsdotcom had a (lemon pledge?) solution which was passed unto him by the Mountain Wizard or something.. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I’ve never played a sticky neck before -must be lucky
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • I'd be frankly embarrased to post regarding an R8 if I had one. I have heard that all the cool kids are buying the R9's.

Even PRS owners are sniggering at R8 owners now apparently. Just what I've heard...
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    I’m happy in my rut. 
  • So how come no one has grabbed the two at coda?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    So how come no one has grabbed the two at coda?
    Slightly Tempted.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    They look really nice I think. That washed cherry looks miles better in the flesh I think. 
    Given that the quality and timbre is more consistent at this level / in this batch, if I could have any it would be a lightweight dirty lemon