R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    terada said:
    Gorgeous tone (timbre ;) ). What amp are you using?

Amplifi TT would you believe.  Providence Stampede OD for the slightly gainier bits, and Ibanez analog delay for when I get sick of making any musical sense.
    Sounds fantastic mate, what a great neck pickup sound
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Dan said:
    terada said:
    I'm done for a long, long, long while :o

Have a wow from me, thats superb!

Much difference between the three sound wise?
    Thanks.

Surprisingly so. The cherry is very light in weight at 8.2lb, and has a very direct attack. It is especially superb on the bridge, bright yet full. The iced tea is brighter overall but weighs the most at 8.8lb, and the pickups are hotter. On the neck it has the filthiest blues tone, love it. The lemon at 8.6lb has a slightly darker more mellow tone, but still cuts through. That one has a very full bridge sound and almost 335 type neck tone. 

They also have slightly different necks - cherry the slimmest almost v profile, the iced tea a bit more shoulder, and the lemon a bit fuller all over. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited September 2018
    gringopig said:

Ebony fingerboard too!
    That is absolutely gorgeous, mate. Thanks for the advice! Compared to the R8 and R9, how does it play?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    gringopig said:

Ebony fingerboard too!
    That is absolutely gorgeous, mate. Thanks for the advice! Compared to the R8 and R9, how does it play?
    Yeah I would literally hump its leg
    Dirty Lemons available on GG - have to pay a deposit like a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331288008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-dirty-lem
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    terada said:

Brilliant.

Utterly mad of course, but still brilliant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    gringopig said:

Is that from the recent 50th anniversary run?
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    terada said:
    Dan said:
    terada said:

Thanks.

Surprisingly so. The cherry is very light in weight at 8.2lb, and has a very direct attack. It is especially superb on the bridge, bright yet full. The iced tea is brighter overall but weighs the most at 8.8lb, and the pickups are hotter. On the neck it has the filthiest blues tone, love it. The lemon at 8.6lb has a slightly darker more mellow tone, but still cuts through. That one has a very full bridge sound and almost 335 type neck tone. 

They also have slightly different necks - cherry the slimmest almost v profile, the iced tea a bit more shoulder, and the lemon a bit fuller all over. 
    Great info thanks.

I guess like a lot of us on here we didnt get to try and compare as we brought online. Its interesting to hear the differences. 
  • How different are these RI's to a Gibson Custom, like the black ones with double binding etc? Are they completely different? I want something exactly like my R8 but black.
    They do R8s in black or blacktop finish sometimes. Check Reverb for them - there's usually a couple for sale. A "Les Paul Custom" is fairly different to a Standard. It's a "good-different" imo, but if you want something that's very close to your R8, then another R8 in the right colour is closer than an LPC
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It was nice to wake up and have zero regrets about spending a fair chunk. Excited to get it - more than likely it'll be Friday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It was nice to wake up and have zero regrets about spending a fair chunk. Excited to get it - more than likely it'll be Friday.
    I'm not far away...my Iced Tea has already been introduced to another tFB R8, and would have no issue meeting more ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I'm not far away...my Iced Tea has already been introduced to another tFB R8, and would have no issue meeting more ;) 
    Imagine how many we could get in one room! A room full of R8 goodness.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    Dan said:
    terada said:
    Dan said:
    terada said:

Thanks.

Great info thanks.

I guess like a lot of us on here we didnt get to try and compare as we brought online. Its interesting to hear the differences. 
    I've played about 15 2017 R8s/R9s now and the tonal variation between them is HUGE! The ones I kept I chose primarily on tone, then comfort (neck profile/balance/weight), then looks. The general theme was the heavier they got the tighter the midrange got. What I found most surprising is the amount of bottom end had no relation to the weight at all. The ones I played with the most bottom end weighed 8lbs 8.5oz and 8lbs 3 oz!
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Any other Scottish folk buy one of these R8’s?

I would love to compare a few side by side at some point.

(Assuming I liked mine the most of course)
  • It may have been discussed before, but are there any webpages etc that discuss the spec and build of these? Like a proper nerdy breakdown of the 58 models?
    terada said:
    Dirty Lemons available on GG - have to pay a deposit like a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331288008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-dirty-lem
    All gone now
    edited September 2018
    It may have been discussed before, but are there any webpages etc that discuss the spec and build of these? Like a proper nerdy breakdown of the 58 models?
    There are places, but I'm not sure we're allowed to go on about them. To be honest though they don't have quite the same, shall we say, atmosphere.

We do have 4 pages left to break our century, so why not do it here?

What questions do you have?
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Here's a guitar at Wildwood with the same spec as the UK ones:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/87158/2017-les-paul-standard-vos-27/?cat_id=21800
  • terada said:
    It may have been discussed before, but are there any webpages etc that discuss the spec and build of these? Like a proper nerdy breakdown of the 58 models?
    There are places, but I'm not sure we're allowed to go on about them. To be honest though they don't have quite the same, shall we say, atmosphere.

We do have 4 pages left to break our century, so why not do it here?

What questions do you have?
    Hahah, thanks, I'm not sure yet....is there like a spec breakdown of this run, apart from what is on the sites selling them? I tried to find Gibson's webpage....