R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• I took "baseline" as lowest not average.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Hattigol said:
    It's not hard to do a search on Ebay for Les Paul R8 and tick the box for completed items.

My post above is what it throws up. Not rocket science.
    This must be what it felt like bowling at Geoffrey Boycott for two days while he steadily worked up to a 50.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    prlgmnr said:
    There's (a 2011) one sold on eBay for £1500, so that's that definitively established as the baseline price for now.
    Interesting use of facts.

Just looked and there were 24 completed R8 sales on Ebay. These include one at £1,500. Of the other 23, 18 sold at a price range of between £2,000 and £3,723.

So from this, you deduce that the baseline price is actually £1,500? Good work. 

Keep trying to talk the market down though. I'm sure you don't really want one anyway....
    Said the man that was himself offered a 2007 R8 at only £1700 
    Me? Was I? Did I buy it?
    Doesn’t matter if you bought it or not. It’s the price that’s relevant 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    ..kelpbeds said:
    Yep that's what I heard too. But that came about initially because of the other issue I mentioned. (AFAIK)
    Yes thanks for sharing, interesting stuff. Interesting for us, at least!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited November 2018
    To be fair to this thread it normally takes less than 4000 posts for a topic to get a bit narcky. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    @kelpbeds this makes sense. The argument that they made loads to sell cheap to get as much money as quickly as possible doesn’t hold up as these are all 2017 models! 

Thanks for the info!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    @kelpbeds this makes sense. The argument that they made loads to sell cheap to get as much money as quickly as possible doesn’t hold up as these are all 2017 models! 

Thanks for the info!
    Remember they entered bankruptcy in early 2018.
    To be fair to this thread it normally takes less than 4000 posts for a topic to get a bit narcky. 
    Actually no, it takes less than 2000. I don't know what you're trying to imply ;-)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    roberty said:
    Actually no, it takes less than 2000. I don't know what you're trying to imply ;-)
    IMHO it takes about 3
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The story about "Ed and Henry" sounds daft but is irrelevant.  They've just pumped "300 CS Reissues" into the market at £2.5k, which will depress the price from the previous higher price.  It also means an extra 300 guitars moved into the secondhand market.  The idea that their value will increase only holds if you believe in the economic equivalent of water running uphill.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited November 2018
    Does it not ultimately depend on how many people really wanted them but couldn’t afford them previously and, more pertinently, will almost never be able to after this sale is all over? This determines how many extra will be moved onto the used market which determines impact to used prices. If there aren’t a lot more on the used market then the impact to used prices is minimal isn’t it. Then if the only way to get one is m2m @ 5k then that’ll pull up used prices.

I say this using myself as an example. I’ve sold a bunch of other guitars & brands to buy this keeper r8. Used market isn’t getting mine so how many of the buyers are like me and have no intention to move theirs on?

if @terada decides to sell up then the crash’ll Be the guitar equivalent to 2008 sub-prime crisis but other than that, I can only see a very temporary drop in price.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    The story about "Ed and Henry" sounds daft but is irrelevant.  They've just pumped "300 CS Reissues" into the market at £2.5k, which will depress the price from the previous higher price.  It also means an extra 300 guitars moved into the secondhand market.  The idea that their value will increase only holds if you believe in the economic equivalent of water running uphill.
    They're only in the secondary market if they are actually in the secondary market. I'm sure that there are plenty that won't be sold on so soon.

A few pages back I think I made this point already. In 2015 Amazon dumped a bunch of Gibson's at cut rate prices. You know, the terrible ones with the ugly logo, spiritual LP hologram, robots, wide boards and brass nuts.

I paid £289 for a Les Paul Junior and regret not having bought 10. You can see more than a handful recent sold ones in the range of £400-500. Water does move uphill, it's called capillary action.

Considering that Gibson made 1000s of R's each year up to this point, 300 guitars is a drop in the bucket. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Chalky said:
    They're only in the secondary market if they are actually in the secondary market. I'm sure that there are plenty that won't be sold on so soon.

A few pages back I think I made this point already. In 2015 Amazon dumped a bunch of Gibson's at cut rate prices. You know, the terrible ones with the ugly logo, spiritual LP hologram, robots, wide boards and brass nuts.

I paid £289 for a Les Paul Junior and regret not having bought 10. You can see more than a handful recent sold ones in the range of £400-500. Water does move uphill, it's called capillary action.

Considering that Gibson made 1000s of R's each year up to this point, 300 guitars is a drop in the bucket. 
    Totally agree with the above. This is short term as supply has increased. These R8s will settle with people, supply will drop (especially if Gibson change things at the CS) and prices will go up again.
    If I had 20K lying about i'd buy a bunch of cheap R8s for sure and i'd make money.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4804
    edited November 2018
    Chalky said:
    Plenty of people in control of money still believe in trickle down economics as well, which has been debunked numerous times hasn't it?

It's just a temporary oversupply, the price will increase over time if you're patient. No idea how much, could be a few quid, could be more. How many Fender Custom Shops from 5 or so years ago sell above their original retail price for example? Bide your time and the market will rise, you know this!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    kelpbeds said:
    Chalky said:

Totally agree with the above. This is short term as supply has increased. These R8s will settle with people, supply will drop (especially if Gibson change things at the CS) and prices will go up again.
    If I had 20K lying about i'd buy a bunch of cheap R8s for sure and i'd make money.
    I totally agree with this too. It's a very short term over supply which is likely to be followed by under supply so prices will then rise. It happens with certain cars and watches from time to time too e.g. mk1 and mk2 Focus RS or the Rolex BLNR GMT.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited November 2018
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    prlgmnr said:
    There's (a 2011) one sold on eBay for £1500, so that's that definitively established as the baseline price for now.
    Interesting use of facts.

Just looked and there were 24 completed R8 sales on Ebay. These include one at £1,500. Of the other 23, 18 sold at a price range of between £2,000 and £3,723.

So from this, you deduce that the baseline price is actually £1,500? Good work. 

Keep trying to talk the market down though. I'm sure you don't really want one anyway....
    Said the man that was himself offered a 2007 R8 at only £1700 
    Me? Was I? Did I buy it?
    Doesn’t matter if you bought it or not. It’s the price that’s relevant 
    Oh bless you, I've just realised what you're on about...

I was offered one in July at £1,700 - you're right. And you managed to go through all my posts over a five month period to find it. Well done!

I wish my wife paid me as much attention as you did :-)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    The comparison with the 2015 blowout is a good one. Amazon sold the Standards for £1050. Look on EBay now and they’re hard to find and fetch more than that. I think the accepted wisdom at the time was that they were pretty much worthless. Similarly with the Zoot Suit SG, blown out cheap, now very rare and rising in vale.
  • The R8 that sold on eBay at £1500 could’ve been part of a cash plus guitar deal couldn’t it..? If the seller had a best offer on it of £1500 plus a guitar whose value was say £800 would the completed listing only show the money that changed hands..?
    i don’t know if this is the case but could it be..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    skaguitar said:
    The R8 that sold on eBay at £1500 could’ve been part of a cash plus guitar deal couldn’t it..? If the seller had a best offer on it of £1500 plus a guitar whose value was say £800 would the completed listing only show the money that changed hands..?
    i don’t know if this is the case but could it be..?
    Makes good sense: I find it hard to believe that anyone that wasn't on something would have let one go for so little unless there was some form of additional consideration.  Unless there was something 'up' with it, or they were truly desperate for cash in a tearing hurry.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    I still have weekly regrets about not getting a 2015 junior in the Amazon deal