Are 2018s allowed in this thread? 
    Skinny frets?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Ossyrocks said:
    Hattigol said:

Are 2018s allowed in this thread? 
    Skinny frets?
    If they are any different from my 2017 one, I hadn't noticed.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    I think ‘18 was when then R4/6/7/8 moved to skinny frets and remains that way to this day. Medium jumbos are still specced on quite a few dealer select editions (and all R9/0s) as it seems to be what punters like. Personally I prefer the skinny ones. 
  • tomajoha said:
    I think ‘18 was when then R4/6/7/8 moved to skinny frets and remains that way to this day. Medium jumbos are still specced on quite a few dealer select editions (and all R9/0s) as it seems to be what punters like. Personally I prefer the skinny ones. 
    Any reason why you prefer them? Sorry, just researching for my own selfish reasons.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Sounds a bit more woody to me, more space for my idiot fingers? If I was a flashy speed player though I’d probably want the med jumbos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajoha said:
    Sounds a bit more woody to me, more space for my idiot fingers? If I was a flashy speed player though I’d probably want the med jumbos.
    Thank you, that's great. Appreciate that!

If it helps @Jonathanthomas83 I’d recommend looking for a 13/14 model if you want the best historic changes and QC. I have also had seen some really nice 2020 CS stuff which has changed my mind on their recent output so much so I bought an R4 (with skinny frets). @hyperben is also worth checking with as he’s served his time with recent CS’s. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited January 2021
    tomajoha said:
    If it helps @Jonathanthomas83 I’d recommend looking for a 13/14 model if you want the best historic changes and QC. I have also had seen some really nice 2020 CS stuff which has changed my mind on their recent output so much so I bought an R4 (with skinny frets). @hyperben is also worth checking with as he’s served his time with recent CS’s. 
    I've not really liked what I've heard of the recent guitars with the unpotted Custombuckers - both in terms of reviews (on here) and in video demos. That said, I don't go for the sounds they're playing in these demo's either, so that could be a red herring. But I'm searching for the right thing, which I thought was an R9 neck and medium jumbo's but I'm coming around to the thicker R8 neck profile with skinny's. I'm now mainly concerned about the potted/unpotted debate! Thanks for the advice!

I tend to replace the custom-bucker anyway as I find them a bit meh. I think the more recent R8 neck is a wee bit slimmer than previous years too. My ‘20 R4 is certainly a fraction slimmer than my ‘14 R8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1095
    Anyone with any recent R6s here? Any thoughts?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    tomajoha said:
    I tend to replace the custom-bucker anyway as I find them a bit meh. I think the more recent R8 neck is a wee bit slimmer than previous years too. My ‘20 R4 is certainly a fraction slimmer than my ‘14 R8
    what do you go for instead of custom bucks?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited January 2021
    tony99 said:
    tomajoha said:
    what do you go for instead of custom bucks?
    I'm interested too. I must admit, I really liked the CBs in my old R8. What didn't you like about them @tomajoha?

@tony99 and @Jonathanthomas83 its totally personal preference. I tend to prefer Alnico 2, other than that I like OX4 or Mules . I havent tried the unpotted CBs so I cant comment on them.

I think I have a pair of potted (2014) CBs if you want some to drop in to your new guitar if thats the sound you like
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1424
    edited January 2021
    CBs can sound really good but they’re a little unfriendly in the upper mids I find. Sometimes that’s a good thing if you want more of a T-Top type sound though. I’ve not heard that upper mid spike it any other repro PAF so be wonder how authentic it is. They’re great sounding pickups though, and worth swapping out? Probably not worth the cost for most people.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @hyperben what would you recommend?

@tomajoha, I'm intrigued with the OX4's must admit. Everyone raves about them.

edited January 2021
    Wizz of Shed PAFs would be my choices. I really don’t like OX4s... they get a lot of love but I’ve always found them to be quite lifeless and colour the tone too much compared to others.
    hyperben said:
    Wizz of Shed PAFs would be my choices. I really don’t like OX4s... they get a lot of love but I’ve always found them to be quite lifeless and colour the tone too much compared to others.
    I should have added my OX4 experience is with my ES175 so that's really not helpful for me to recommend them for a Les Paul.

I recently had a set wound by JPG which I'm loving - keeping it Yorkshire 
    Well it’s all personal preference, but I couldn’t get OX4s out quick enough. Every couple of years I have another go with them but always feel the same about them and they’re out and up for sale again.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I found a difference in the CB’s in my 2014 compared with the three 2017’s I’ve had.

I swapped them out of the 2014 for some Sheptones, but I kept them in all the 2017’s as they were so much better than my previous experience of them. I still have one 2017 and have no intention of changing the pickups as it’s such a nice sounding guitar.

I have no idea what difference there is between the CBs from different years, but you can hear a difference.

Rob
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    People still discussing these B-stock R8s?  ;)