R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

send it back if not happy, write it off to karma with good grace.
    I agree this is harsh. If it was sold to him as a figured top then he has every right to expect that. He’s paid his money & that’s up to him

Karma? Sounds more like envy is at work here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    edited August 2018
    Is it a plain top if you can see wood grain? What does figured mean?
    Figured means there is some deviation to the grain creating the hologram effect of flames or quilting.  Plain straight grained maple doesn’t have it.

why does it cost more?  Only 1 in a 1000* trees have the desireable figuring.

*varies by type of figure, species and climate... but I have seen these numbers quoted for flamed maple.  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    GG listed all of their 58’s as ‘figured’, which is nonsense.

They also listed them as having 58 profile necks, which yet again is nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8039

In a weirdly perverse way, I'm kind-of loving the fact that while you lot are fannying about drooling over R8's, I'm all excited about these... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

19reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I know this might be a crazy notion but surely how it plays/feels/sounds should be the most important things?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited August 2018
    “Figured top” R8 

https://imgur.com/gallery/iYL6DoS
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    I know this might be a crazy notion but surely how it plays/feels/sounds should be the most important things?
    If that was important we wouldn't be playing Gibsons ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

Yeah that's a plain top, no argument can be made for it being figured. Though I do like it, but can appreciate that if you wanted figured then you would be disappointed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

I am not a fan of the colour (personal thing) but I like the grain of the wood. I wouldn't be so upset with that provided it played well and sounded good (to be fair a pickup swap is easy enough if the sound isn't there)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

They're having anlaugh
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 860

I wouldn’t have said so if you buy from the internet without trying first.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

send it back if not happy, write it off to karma with good grace.
    I agree this is harsh. If it was sold to him as a figured top then he has every right to expect that. He’s paid his money & that’s up to him

Karma? Sounds more like envy is at work here...
    nope, I've not ordered, or tried, and am pleased for everyone who's happy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    koss59 said:

I wouldn't disagree. 

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

Not figured, if you're not happy send it back.  No way they can dispute a refund based on the description given by them.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    The thread that keeps on giving takes another dramatic turn
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited August 2018
    Here’s mine, can’t believe I’ve gotta wait a week to pick her up! 

1reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Adamski said:
    Here’s mine, can’t believe I’ve gotta wait a week to pick her up! 

that's quite white. was it described as "figured" ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    edited August 2018
    koss59 said:

I wouldn't disagree. 

Each to their own.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3491
    edited August 2018

WezV said:
    Is it a plain top if you can see wood grain? What does figured mean?
    Figured means there is some deviation to the grain creating the hologram effect of flames or quilting.  Plain straight grained maple doesn’t have it.

why does it cost more?  Only 1 in a 1000* trees have the desireable figuring.

*varies by type of figure, species and climate... but I have seen these numbers quoted for flamed maple.  
    This is perfect, thank you mate! Mine's plain top then, exactly what I wanted!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5481
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

I guess they figured you’d fall for it..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom