Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG v Les Paul

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
I gig prs most of the time but have a real hankering for a bit of grunt I just can't get with a PRS.
I've tried a les Paul and it instantly sounded right but I can't get on with the lack of access to the top frets or the weight of the thing.
I've never played an SG and wondered if that would do the job.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited August 2018
    I find that the only thing that sounds like a Les Paul is... A Les Paul. The weight & access are the price you pay. 

I love SGs, but they're a bit more raw sounding & lack that "thick" tone that's synonymous with a LP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
    They definitely sound a bit thinner and more "wiry" than a Les Paul, but for upper fret access and general comfort on a strap for multiple hours they can't be beaten. Just make sure you get one that doesn't neck dive and they're the most comfortable guitars around.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    I play an Sg 2018 and o get tremendous tone.  Thick and sustain.  Love it. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Have you tried a HP Les Paul? That should have the sound without upper fret access problems.
  • Les Paul Double-Cut? Sounds like the obvious solution to the problem.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunno how close you are you Shoreham, but there's a nice looking one on eBay...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302855847095
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    underdog said:
    Have you tried a HP Les Paul? That should have the sound without upper fret access problems.
    Alas it has the super skinny neck.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I find that the only thing that sounds like a Les Paul is... A Les Paul. The weight & access are the price you pay. 

I love SGs, but they're a bit more raw sounding & lack that "thick" tone that's synonymous with a LP. 
    My opinion exactly. Both are great guitars but sound quite different, I own both.  It’s  a bit like comparing a Strat to a Tele, both nice guitars with similar construction but a Tele sounds like a Tele and a Strat sounds like a Strat.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If you are gigging, an SG is a very comfortable guitar.
    An SG sounds like a Gibson. For many that is enough.
    If Clapton had bought the '64 SG  just a bit sooner it could easily have been the Beano guitar plugged into the Marshall. History would have changed. Similar guitars would now  be fetching $100k or more.

As you don't yet have the guitar.......that means that you can choose one that balances perfectly on a strap. (sticky is right). So don't forget to try every guitar (that floats your boat) on a strap.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited August 2018
    Try an SG - you'll love it.  I have a 1990 Les Paul Custom and a 2006 SG Standard. The SG is so much lighter and I love the easy high fret access.  It sounds more airy than my LP Custom, but it's lovely and warm and gives plenty of great rock tone that's very similar (but not identical) to my LP.  But then my friends' LP Custom doesn't sound like my LP either and almost exactly sounds like my SG.  Now - if an SG has enough balls for Angus Young.....
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I keep looking at the SG classic in the classifieds ...hmm 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Interesting post - I was comparing my two today. 

I have an old Les Paul, sounds absolutely amazing, switched to a nearly as old SG - very similar and I doubt the audience would notice but not the same. 

As other have said the Les Paul is thicker whereas the SG has more snarl. 

But they are in the same sonic ballpark so worth a look. 

The guitar I have which is closest to my Les Paul is my D.C. les Paul junior. Thick as you like and wonderful neck access and weight 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Nothing sounds quite like a Les Paul.  I've had 3 Les Pauls, an SG and several PRS.  I've not had the more recent PRS with the shorter Les Paul like scale length.  They may get closer.  I played a McCarty 594 in a shop that was the closest PRS I've played to a Les Paul.

Some PRS come closer than an SG.  The problem is that you do need a maple top as part of the Les Paul recipe, but the PRS maple top is too thick.  The carve is so deep that it's quite a lot thicker in the middle where the bridge anchors.

If you want a doublecut for playability, the McCarty 594 is probably the closest.

If you have the budget, the Feline Lion has a different take on the neck joint that will make the upper fret access a lot easier.  That might be worth a look.
  • Norm - I’ve been a long time fan of PRS guitars too, and have worked through most of their models trying to find “the one”. Last year I caved and bought a Gibson LP and loved it, that sound was there straight away, but it still didn’t feel quite right. This evening I bought an SG Standard, and it’s bloody great - feels closer to the PRS guitars, is very light, but still has that grunt and depth that was missing from them. I actually prefer the tone to the LP, although it’s early days so I reserve the right to change my mind once the honeymoon period’s over!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    SGs are great but don't have the neck thickness or tone 'beef' of an LP or PRS.  They're thinner sounding and feeling.  Freat guitars but they're not an LP substitute.

I've played and owned a whole range of PRS guitars, both new and old, and none of the sound like an LP.  Something in the formula is fundamentally different between the companies approach to guitar building and one cannot substitute the other.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Twinfan said:
    SGs are great but don't have the neck thickness or tone 'beef' of an LP or PRS.  They're thinner sounding and feeling.  Freat guitars but they're not an LP substitute.

I've played and owned a whole range of PRS guitars, both new and old, and none of the sound like an LP.  Something in the formula is fundamentally different between the companies approach to guitar building and one cannot substitute the other.
    I'd mostly agree with this.

I don't know if you have played the McCarty 594.  That seems to get closer than the older PRS guitars did.

The SG is definitely different to the Les Paul.  There is something about the all mahogany guitars that sounds different.  I think it is the wood as much as, if not more than, the construction.  I have an all mahogany PRS S2 Singlecut Satin.  For me that is closer to an SG than a Les Paul. 

I'm actually debating selling that one as I've just participated in the great Les Paul feeding frenzy.  Not really sure I need both, but it is different from the Les Paul.  I also don't mind carrying it in a gig bag on my bike. On the other hand I'm back up to 8 electric guitars again, which is probably one or two too many.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I'm not actually gassing for a Les Paul.. I'm gassing for that Gibson snarl and think an SG would fit the bill perfectly.
    The thing is although I'm seriously interested in the SG in the classifieds, I've just looked at GAK and I'm even more confused now.

There's a few new ones on there for £549. 
    I can't figure out if the 
    Gibson USA 2013 SG Future Tribute Min-ETune, Vintage Sunburst is any good or should I buy second-hand 

• When I was gigging "electric guitar music" a few years back I had one of each with me at all times.  Solved.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’ve you’re gonna buy an SG to be an SG, only a standard will do. Don’t buy any of the ones with mini humbuckers or P-90’s. and definitely nothing with Min-ETune (issues aside it’ll make the neck dive). 

I’d get a good used standard 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve got an sg classic and a lp with p90s. I like them both. They’re similar in a way, but different enough to justify both.
    if I had to choose between them, though, I think I’d keep the lp..
    but that’s just me.. ymmv 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.