Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG v Les Paul

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I’m by no means an SG expert - but just on the P90 issue - a friend used to own a ‘61 Les Paul/SG Junior. It was one of the very best sounding electric guitars I’ve ever played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited September 2018
    Can't wait for my Les Paul special Double Cut to arrive. 
    I love the P90 tone.. that fat on the edge of Armageddon tone with a hot valve amp is just awesome..   but saying that I'll probably experiment with changing the bridge P90 for a p90 sized Humbucker at somepoint, just to see how it sounds.
    I think somebody had one for sale in the classifieds 

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited September 2018
    Not sure if the upper fret access on a Les Paul needs to be a problem, raise the guitar, worked beautifully for Gary Moore and John Sykes 

And yes SGs sound like Gibsons, they sound great.  But they don't sound like Les Pauls, specially live playing rock. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    clarkefan said:h
    Not sure if the upper fret access on a Les Paul needs to be a problem, raise the guitar, worked beautifully for Gary Moore and John Sykes 

And yes SGs sound like Gibsons, they sound great.  But they don't sound like Les Pauls, specially live playing rock. 
    @clarkefan what do you mean by 'raise the guitar'?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Sorry, I mean shorten the strap, "wear" the guitar higher than you otherwise might :)

"Looks funny" be damned, helps one to play better as well, stand up Mr. Sykes.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2905
    edited September 2018
    Where do you think the ESP/LTD EC series sit on the sound and "push/weight" spectrum? Is it more SG or more LP? I really like what they've done to streamline the design without completely ruining it but is the tone and sustain any good?
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 458
    You want one of these Norm!

https://i.imgur.com/i3jyYGH.jpg
  • Haven't gone through all the messages here but my recommendation would actually be the Yamaha sg which is thick like a Les Paul but double cut like an sg or possibly a Gordon Smith double cut with thick body and carved top