Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG v Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    Coming back to the theory that neck stiffness affects tone significantly....

les Paul’s and Sg’s are very similar guitars.  Hardware, wiring, scale length and bridge pickup position are identical. Tonal similarities are easy to explain.  For tonal differences you have to consider the structure of the body and neck.

the biggest structural difference is the longer neck, followed by the thinner body and then the different neck join(but they vary a lot on SG’s).  

You could also consider the neck pickup location.  It will significantly affect the sound of that pickup just by being in a different place. Will moving a source of magnetic pull change the sound of the bridge pickup too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think an SG will definitely do the job. I used to gig with a LP Custom and used an SG Special as back up.

They both had the same 498T/490R pickups and through the cranked up dirty channel my Orange amp I'd be lying if I said there was much difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love SGs but they’re not the same as LPs. Plug an SG in and play a few chords then plug an LP in without adjusting anything...

The LP will be louder, drive the amp harder and will have a wider and arguably more balanced frequency range. More beef in the bottom end and more articulation on the treble side and overall a smoothness to it. The SG will sound thinner and more midrangey with less cut in the treble and a more aggressive character.

This is all relative of course, try the same with a strat and LP and the differences are of course much more marked.

The above is why I don’t really like LPs - they have so much push they can be hard to control. An SG is a nice middle ground between fender and LP, the mid focus is great when pushing an amp a bit and brings out a an aggressive character that is great for overdriven rock and blues. On the other hand, I find them too honky and a bit bland for true clean tones. YMMV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    edited September 2018
    I thought I was happy with my SG and that it sounded the same but I've played a few LPs recently that have made me really want one again. There's something about how they hang on a strap and the push and sustain they have that just works for me. As others have said the SG will get you in the ballpark but it's more of a thinner wirey sound. The 490r/498t set works really well in an SG though, the position of the neck pickup seems to balance them better than when they're in an LP. But there's nothing cooler than a black LP Custom :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    To me LP v SG equates to 'smooth, rounded and powerful v rude, in-yer-face and aggressive' ... I love both ... 
    For my taste a Les Paul with PAF style humbuckers and an SG with P90s are the best expressions of the respective models.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited September 2018
    Les Paul Double-Cut? Sounds like the obvious solution to the problem. 
    http://imgur.com/qfmZNN9
    Hmm here’s something that’s for sale in Somerset. it ticks my “keep it simple stupid” box 
    used Les Paul double cut. I was never a fan of the TOM bridge but realise it’s part of the sound

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    crunchman said:

I don't know if you have played the McCarty 594.  That seems to get closer than the older PRS guitars did.
    Yep, played loads and own a PS 594 with 408 pickups.

They do sound closer than anything else, but still different to a PRS. I've never played a PRS that I thought sounded close enough to a Gibson LP.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited September 2018
    To me, SG has more snap 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    2013 SG Standards came with Burstbuckers (not the 490/498 pickups). I had one and got some great tones out of it.

The number of times I took my fretting hand away from the neck was so few, neck dive wasn't really an issue. 

But what may or may not be an issue is neck profile. Most SG's come with a 60's slim neck. If that slim neck doesn't do it for you, then you'll have to look harder for the few with rounded necks. Am I right in saying the SG faded's had rounded necks? I don't think SG Standards come with anything other than a 60's slim neck. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    SG and neck profile:  what @fandango said.
    Incredibly variable.
    Oh, and an SG on "Big Norm" will look like a tiny ukulele!  I'm not exactly Samson and it was too small for me.  Not in anything other than pure visuals -- really nice guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Adamski said:n
    I’ve you’re gonna buy an SG to be an SG, only a standard will do. Don’t buy any of the ones with mini humbuckers or P-90’s. and definitely nothing with Min-ETune (issues aside it’ll make the neck dive). 

I’d get a good used standard 
    +1!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I have a lot of Les Pauls and a couple of SG's, though technically my 1960 DC Les Paul Special is an SG.  I've foolishly let a couple of original white SG Juniors go, which I kick myself regularly about.  For me the difference is the brighness and a little bit less compression on the SG, though the pickups can change some of that.  For a longer gig, at my age, the SG wins and I'm sure the audience can't tell (though to be fair, my Feline Lion is not too bad for weight, and I've played for 90 minutes straight with it a few times).

I also have a @WezV John Birch style SG, with neck through body construction and quite a few John Birch parts.  It is a different experience to the Gibsons, but is great for Black Sabbath stuff (though it can do most things well, it also has sustain for days).
    My 2008 Standard has a thick 50s style neck.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191

Oh, and an SG on "Big Norm" will look like a tiny ukulele!  I'm not exactly Samson and it was too small for me.  Not in anything other than pure visuals -- really nice guitars.
    To be fair... all guitars look like ukulele's on me
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    bignorm said:

I can't figure out if the 
    Gibson USA 2013 SG Future Tribute Min-ETune, Vintage Sunburst is any good or should I buy second-hand 

It's a good buy, as long as you like the neck profile and features: 24 fret neck, good body carve, classic '57 pups, and you can add an angel wing pick guard or leave it bare according to your preference. At this price there's no issue swapping out the Min-Etune for your choice of tuners. These tribute models from 2013/14 were excellent SGs. I almost grabbed a 70s tribute when they were on offer, (interested in the Dirty Fingers pups), but an SG Supreme on offer got my attention instead. 

SG Standards are great (I own two), but they're only really offering you the 'bling' of a bound fretboard, inlays, gloss finish, etc. An SG Special, or these Tributes, offer you a good hard working, no fuss SG at a more affordable price. From there it's your call, no right or wrong answer!

As for the LP v. SG thing: I suspect many people today are able to hear differences between them that guitarists like Clapton failed to notice in the mid-60s. Perhaps the amps got better... :)
    [ducks for cover]
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    fandango said:
    2013 SG Standards came with Burstbuckers (not the 490/498 pickups). I had one and got some great tones out of it.

The number of times I took my fretting hand away from the neck was so few, neck dive wasn't really an issue. 

But what may or may not be an issue is neck profile. Most SG's come with a 60's slim neck. If that slim neck doesn't do it for you, then you'll have to look harder for the few with rounded necks. Am I right in saying the SG faded's had rounded necks? I don't think SG Standards come with anything other than a 60's slim neck. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    50s Tribute and SG Classic have fatter, rounder necks. Definitely the exception rather than the norm. I have one of each, the Classic is in the classifieds
  • Nowt wrong with LPs or SGs. Just eq a little more bottom end and low mid for an SG. I have and like both.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LPs will handle lower output PAF-like pickups better (eg. Stormy Mondays) if that's your thing. SGs like a bit of kick from the pickups esp on the bridge. But as mentioned by someone before, do consider a double cut LP junior with a hot p90 as well. Something special about those LP juniors. 
  • What's wrong with an SG with P90s? It's the ideal sound imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    What's wrong with an SG with P90s? It's the ideal sound imho
    In my SG a bridge P90 just sounds a bit weak and lacking for some reason but as I've said before I think my guitar seems quite picky about pickups, took me ages to find a bridge one I'm happy with. Which is annoying as in the right guitar P90s are my favourite. I have a humbucker size one in the neck of my SG and I love it, the bridge humbucker seems very "flat" in comparison. Keep meaning to try an Oil City, the Critical Mass 90 sounds like it might do the job - a lot of people seem to love Alnico 8 in an SG.