Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12400
    edited November 2018
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Wow are they still trying to shift those? Decent guitars, not easy to find Junior/Special styles with full sized HBs from the factory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    roberty said:
    Wow are they still trying to shift those? Decent guitars, not easy to find Junior/Special styles with full sized HBs from the factory
    That looks nice, but I bet it didn’t sell well due to the blinkered ‘vintage design only’ market which says it’s “wrong” due to not being a body/wood/hardware combination Gibson offered before 1970...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    MikeS said:
    I'm a traditional Junior fan, and thoroughly hate the new ones. I did think in an ideal world I'd sit and wait on one coming up second hand dirt cheap (and I mean dirt cheap), and converting it. Removing that monstrous pickguard and filling all the routs with wood, filling the screw holes, routing a jack socket on the edge, and installing a dogear pickup, pickguard and electrics. 
    It would have to be painted a nice TV yellow to cover all the work, and then I'd be left with a cool looking Junior, or would I?.

No, because firstly even if I were given one free, doing all that is just not cost effective, but the biggest reason why it wouldn't work is you'd still be left with a Junior with a Maple neck!. So my mind is firmly made up. It's a pointless, ugly guitar without even the possibility of being made good. I can only see it's market being people who are new to Gibson or Guitars, and have no interest in the history of the brand or the model.

You can probably guess I don't like it eh :#
    Jesus Christ, listen to yourself, it's just a guitar, and a kind of cool, cheap, hotrodded Joan Jett kind of a guitar at that. 

It looks perfect for making a great rock 'n' roll noise, simple, with a decent pickup, a tough-as-old-boots neck and rugged looks. 

I'm well aware how it differs from a vintage Jr, and as someone who started gigging with a '52 ES-295 in the early 80s and still gigs Gibsons every week it's ridiculous to suggest that anyone who likes it is ignorant of or has no interest inGibson's history.

I'm tempted, it looks like a proper workhorse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • Jaysus, it's just a guitar. Plug it in and play the f**king thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sounds bloody great in that vid ^^^ no one outside a small circle of guitar nerds will give a f*** about the pickguard. Not even your bassist :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1098
    How good did Acquiesce sound in that video.  He's some player Jack.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    micky mouse fretboard
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    micky mouse fretboard
    Why? 
  • I played one last week.

I liked it.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I personally wish i had the money to snag one. They look and sound pretty cool to me!
  • sawyer said:
    I've said it before,and I'll say it again! Just make an affordable vintage correct singlecut/double junior at a reasonable price that a simple straightforward,  mass produced  instrument should cost. It's what we want and Gibson would sell shed loads.
    I agree. It can’t be that difficult or expensive to make a proper LP Junior, why mess with what is a classic design? As you say it would be very popular and they’d sell lots of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyer said:
    I've said it before,and I'll say it again! Just make an affordable vintage correct singlecut/double junior at a reasonable price that a simple straightforward,  mass produced  instrument should cost. It's what we want and Gibson would sell shed loads.
    I agree. It can’t be that difficult or expensive to make a proper LP Junior, why mess with what is a classic design? As you say it would be very popular and they’d sell lots of them.
    Hoo fucking ra...I would buy 2!

It's not hard is it.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Henrytwang said:

It can’t be that difficult or expensive to make a proper LP Junior, why mess with what is a classic design? As you say it would be very popular and they’d sell lots of them.
    The tooling for the classic Junior will be quite a lot more expensive because the body has to be routed from both sides. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is - it doubles the amount of machine work, and if you're trying to make a cheap guitar that really makes a difference - and there's also a side rout for the jack, which makes three operations.

That's why throughout their history, both Gibson and Fender have tried to produce new models with the routing only from the front - even modifying existing designs when they're in a pinch regarding costs... Gibson with the SG in '71-'73, Fender with the Strat in '83-'84.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • On the Peach video they sound sort of what you want from a junior.

I have always thought for many years when I was looking for a new junior the Gibson business model was you could have any variation you liked of Junior with stop tailpiece and a Nashville bridge, Humbuckers rather than p90 unless you paid the price for a 57 reissue.  I suppose it's a business strategy but a bit of a blunt approach and one that I think has run out of steam in recent years, rather than make as many as you can sell of a good standard made to the classic formula. 

I would be happier if Gibson  made an honest junior guitar for an honest price. 

I appreciate a pound on cost in manufacture is a fiver on the high St but when you look at touch time in modern guitar making in a good production environment flipping the guitar to rout a simple control cavity is not doubling machine time. Or it might be at Gibson I have not been to Gibson but when you look at the working people in the background of a lot factory tour video's yet get those who have achieved a work rate of corporate indifference. When I went to Taylor the feel was buzzing as was Fender. `

Ultimately it sounds in the ballpark but Gibson is never going to get a lot of love if they don't treat a simple junior guitar as what it is not a 3 or 4k recreation of something they once made cheap and basically in 1957.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5436
    edited November 2018
    sawyer said:
    Because they make way more money selling a few Custom Shop Juniors in an authentic spec to those that really want one than they do a truckload of low-margin "compromised" USA Juniors... they wanna nudge you up, so to speak.
  • roberty said:
    That is really nice for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    sawyer said:
    Because they make way more money selling a few Custom Shop Juniors in an authentic spec to those that really want one than they do a truckload of low-margin "compromised" USA Juniors... they wanna nudge you up, so to speak.
    Funny you should say that. I suspected that they were trying to push people into spending sack loads of cash on the Custom Shop Junior. Sure it would cost a bit more for the extra routing but that doesn’t seem to push the price of a Les Paul Studio through the ceiling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    The cost of manufacture doesn't dictate the selling price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom