Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I really, really, love the look of the ‘proper’ junior. Especially the double cut.
    If similarly priced, I’d go traditional, every time. I’m sure most people would.
    Putting the traditional junior to one side, for a minute, and judging this on its own merits, I have to say it looks really good.
    In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like it. I’d rather have rear routing for the controls, but I think they’ve done a good job of designing the scratchplate. If you can separate this guitar, in your mind, from the traditional junior, it’s a really good looking guitar in its own right.
     I’m also very much in favour of the maple neck. Maple necks, generally, in fact.
    I’m not exactly short of guitars, or even p90 equipped guitars, for that matter, but if they start blowing these out, at some point, I might find it hard to resist.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @usedtobe here's hoping :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    I really, really, love the look of the ‘proper’ junior. Especially the double cut.
    If similarly priced, I’d go traditional, every time. I’m sure most people would.
    Putting the traditional junior to one side, for a minute, and judging this on its own merits, I have to say it looks really good.
    In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like it. I’d rather have rear routing for the controls, but I think they’ve done a good job of designing the scratchplate. If you can separate this guitar, in your mind, from the traditional junior, it’s a really good looking guitar in its own right.
     I’m also very much in favour of the maple neck. Maple necks, generally, in fact.
    I’m not exactly short of guitars, or even p90 equipped guitars, for that matter, but if they start blowing these out, at some point, I might find it hard to resist.
    I just look at this guitar and think "that's a nice guitar". I never did care for what was traditional. I get them to play them, not look at them. I couldn't give a fiddlers if it looks like the traditional or not... I don't know why people get so bothered by these things. Cars change all the time, why not guitars.
  • Everytime I see a decent Jr with a half decent spec it's about £2k which is ridiculous.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited November 2018
    Another option is a first class luthier built LP DC Junior by @GSPBASSES , a Superb finish by @lamf68 , nickel hardware to suit from @streethawk , probably end up around same price, yet probably, a far higher quality instrument ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doug said:
    Another option is a first class luthier built LP DC Junior by @GSPBASSES , a Superb finish by @lamf68 , nickel hardware to suit from @streethawk , probably end up around same price, yet probably, a far higher quality instrument ;

Surely a part caster LPJ would not cost £2K even if you used the most expensive hardware available. A LPJ DC from @GSPBASSES would be around £450, less if you can get a “B” grade, even better if you get an "A" grade in one of his Black Friday sales. A really good pickup should cost you no more than £95 (Bare knuckle, Mojo, Hot Rod, Oil City). A bridge will cost you from as little as £20, the top level about £50. A set of vintage Klusons £50 or Kluson copies £25, and the rest of the bits and pieces £30 max. A Nitro finish would be £250 to £350, or considerably less if you do your own oil finish, not a lot more than £20 plus your time.

If you're prepared to spend £2K on a LPJ,  then surely you would be better off going to @Feline, where you can be sure the guitar will be properly built, unless you're only interested in having Gibson on the headstock.

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited November 2018
    Bond123 said:
    Doug said:

Surely a part caster LPJ would not cost £2K even if you used the most expensive hardware available. A LPJ DC from @GSPBASSES would be around £450, less if you can get a “B” grade, even better if you get an "A" grade in one of his Black Friday sales. A really good pickup should cost you no more than £95 (Bare knuckle, Mojo, Hot Rod, Oil City). A bridge will cost you from as little as £20, the top level about £50. A set of vintage Klusons £50 or Kluson copies £25, and the rest of the bits and pieces £30 max. A Nitro finish would be £250 to £350, or considerably less if you do your own oil finish, not a lot more than £20 plus your time.

If you're prepared to spend £2K on a LPJ,  then surely you would be better off going to @Feline, where you can be sure the guitar will be properly built, unless you're only interested in having Gibson on the headstock.

I think you misunderstood, I was comparing the price of the 2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior DC ( around £700) with the cost of a @GSPBASSES ;; LP DC JR build with quality hardware and finish. Regarding your point about spending £2k on a LP Jr, I think you might be surprised to learn that @GSPBASSES actually builds/supplies for some top UK Brands!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    p90fool said:
    57Deluxe said:
    micky mouse fretboard
    Why? 
    cos they made of crispbread or somesuch nowadays...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    p90fool said:
    57Deluxe said:
    micky mouse fretboard
    Why? 
    It's rosewood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    p90fool said:
    57Deluxe said:
    micky mouse fretboard
    Why? 
    Some descriptions did state that the fingerboards were made of richlite but it seems that they’re made of rosewood. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Cant see what te fuss is about .Its just a guitar and you play them as per instructions by Bert Weedon  and its got a neck ,body ,pickup etc like a junior so why  rant and rave about something made in the 50's  being updated  is a few ways .I dont know why a single pickup is so great anyway.
  • i really can’t get over how much this guitar has grown on me, I really like the scratch plate, it reminds me heavily of the Gibson s-1.
  • I can understand the fuxation with the purists, buuuuuuuuuut, I think it is a rather handsome Guitar and sounds awesome on the Peach Vid.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    Yeah it’s just a guitar, I like it others may not. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    They’re all ‘just guitars’.  ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    p90fool said:
    57Deluxe said:
    micky mouse fretboard
    Why? 
    Some descriptions did state that the fingerboards were made of richlite but it seems that they’re made of rosewood. 

\/   this ain't rosewood though... \/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

\/   this ain't rosewood though... \/ 
    It might be given some of the crap Gibson have used in recent years. There's plenty as pale and dry-looking as that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    There’s one on eBay at the moment 12 hour auction. £400.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Has anyone tried or bought one of these? What's the verdict?