Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comparison: Gibson R8 vs Tokai LS150

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Voxman said:
    Excellent post that clearly took a lot of time & thought, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read and photo-comparisons and learnt a lot, thank you.

As good as the Tokai undoubtedly is, I'd only ever go for the Gibson myself - I openly admit it's largely sheer snobbery because of the Gibson name (although your review confirms the Gibson has the edge on tone), but also being realistic in terms of any future resale.  If I was lucky enough to be able to afford and get a brand new R8 for under £2,500 I know I'd likely be able to sell it for 90% - 100% of its cost.  With the Tokai, the value drop in proportion to its new price would be a lot more and the Gibson name is a lot easier to sell. And regardless of how good a guitar it was, it just wouldn't feel 'proper' & special to me - the Gibson would.  I'm a name slut, what can I say!   
    Putting the peach deal aside, 2.5k is closer to used prices. There’s also a significant drop in gibson custom new prices.

Comparing used prices pushes the conclusion even further toward the Tokai imho, especially with plenty of room for a pup upgrade (which if you buy those used also and can fit yourself, is negligible extra cost).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited September 2018
    Fifty9 said:
    Voxman said:
    Excellent post that clearly took a lot of time & thought, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read and photo-comparisons and learnt a lot, thank you.

As good as the Tokai undoubtedly is, I'd only ever go for the Gibson myself - I openly admit it's largely sheer snobbery because of the Gibson name (although your review confirms the Gibson has the edge on tone), but also being realistic in terms of any future resale.  If I was lucky enough to be able to afford and get a brand new R8 for under £2,500 I know I'd likely be able to sell it for 90% - 100% of its cost.  With the Tokai, the value drop in proportion to its new price would be a lot more and the Gibson name is a lot easier to sell. And regardless of how good a guitar it was, it just wouldn't feel 'proper' & special to me - the Gibson would.  I'm a name slut, what can I say!   
    Putting the peach deal aside, 2.5k is closer to used prices. There’s also a significant drop in gibson custom new prices.

Comparing used prices pushes the conclusion even further toward the Tokai imho, especially with plenty of room for a pup upgrade (which if you buy those used also and can fit yourself, is negligible extra cost).
    Still wouldn't have Gibson on it though!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Really interesting and detailed comparison Steve, enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for posting.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited September 2018
    Voxman said:
    Fifty9 said:
    Voxman said:

Still wouldn't have Gibson on it though! 

New LPs are copies of 50's guitars made by a different company with different machinery in a different factory. The difference between Tokai & Gibson practically speaking is that one of the cloners happens to own the rights to the Gibson trademark. My feelings run the same way about Fender. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Good work sir
    Tokai all the way for me tho had a few and loved em
    Had a few Gibsons some were good some were meh.
    Had an R9 which was dogs dangly bits but the money is  stupid all for 6 letters on a headstock.
    Ta for the effort 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi to All,

Its appears that until today this thread has lay dormant for several years. In fact, I stumbled across it by complete accident, but I'm so glad I did.

I found it because I've just acquired a 2017 Tokai LS-150 in Heritage Dark Cherry.

I found the article very informative, which gave me a better insight to the LS-150. As I was working my way down though the thread I noticed the Serial Number: 1737864 - Wow! I thought, that's very close to the serial of my Tokai. So, off I trot to get the guitar and investigate how close the serial numbers are!

Much to my amazement, the Tokai Guitar in review is the same guitar, same serial number, even the very same imperfection in the mahogany wood to the rear of the guitar.

The guitar is spectacular, in fact, I’m over the moon with it - I can’t see me ever parting with it. 

If anyone reading this has any further information regarding the guitar or previous owners, please, do get in touch - it would great to hear from you.

Many Thanks

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 817
    Wowsers, a brilliant in depth review!

This is why I love MIJ twangers! Great for the money.  
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    @dotcomjohnny glad the guitar is still in great nick and appreciated by its current owner. It’s a fantastic guitar. :)