Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just played a Suhr Standard

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Bengal Burst, HSH with coil tap. Guy brought it along with the Epiphone 339 I did a trade for to see if I was interested. 

Oh my god, sounded velvet smooth and beautiful balance in every position. I can see what the fuss is about now. 

Harmonics to die for, quite taken aback by it to be honest. 

Are they all like this? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• All mine are. Just brilliant, consistent and enjoyable guitars in my opinion
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    All mine are. Just brilliant, consistent and enjoyable guitars in my opinion
    Did you buy new or used, and have all the ones you've tried been good? 
  • All my Standards have been bought new. I've got 3 now and have sold one in the past. Different wood and pickup combinations and all excellent. All my other Suhrs - Moderns, Classic S's, Classic Ts and JMs have been bought new and used. Again, excellent consistency.

I've only ever sold two - the aforementioned Standard and a 10th anniversary Modern. Not the right things for me at the time, but brilliant.

In my experience, the only guitars I've played that are of similar quality, consistency and vibe are PRS, Xotic and Feline.
  • I've got Pro S4 which is the old standard. 

Are yours all HSS? At one point I thought about HSH but it doesn't look as nice and you can get the "Sweet Child" tone by rolling tone down on bridge 'bucker. 

I would love a carve top one. I like how they're 22 frets. Yes, very resonant guitars. 

I like basswood and maple combo - though I did find my mahogany PRS was more prominent in a full band. 
    I've thought about a mahogany standard/modern. I don't get on with the modern as much as I do the standard. 
  • All mine are HSS. One basswood body, maple cap and 1 piece Cocobolo neck/board, one alder body, Pau Ferro neck and Macassar ebony board and an Archtop with mahogany body, EMGs and I think Cocobolo neck/board but can't be sure.

I used to find the Standard slightly awkward ergonomically since I was used to Moderns and Classic S models, but that's in the past. I love the Standard now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How do you find the Humbuckers mate ?

Im so delighted with my Alt TPro, I want to try a Strat style HSS
  • The Aldrich model is the best high gain pickup I've played. Articulate and cleans up well.

The SSV and DSV are lovely and in the same ballpark as the Thornbucker, which is stunning as you already know.

The XXX+ series have a little more oomph, but they all are responsive and I love them.

My preference is the Thornbucker+ in the bridge with Thornbucker at the neck, but the DSV/SSV are also great. Depends how hot you want them to be.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've got Pro S4 which is the old standard. 

Are yours all HSS? At one point I thought about HSH but it doesn't look as nice and you can get the "Sweet Child" tone by rolling tone down on bridge 'bucker. 

I would love a carve top one. I like how they're 22 frets. Yes, very resonant guitars. 

I like basswood and maple combo - though I did find my mahogany PRS was more prominent in a full band. 
    I've thought about a mahogany standard/modern. I don't get on with the modern as much as I do the standard. 
    Ah really?

When I went through my experimental phase of seeing if I could scale down to a single (HSS) guitar I found I couldn't get close enough to the smooth neck humbucker tone to satisfy myself but I think I found the neck single coil tone with the tone down to be closer than the bridge humbucker.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2018
    TBH I never tried neck with tone down lol...

Come on get yer pics out!!

I've got audio files but you can get them anywhere online. 

I REALLY love the Standard / Pro S series, in particular... some of the colours (and wood combos) they've done are phenomenally good looking. 

I like when the headstock is either the same colour as the fingerboard or matches the body. A niggle of mine is when Suhr just have a bland black headstock, or similar, which matches neither.

• @hubobulous how do you like mahogany compare to basswood on suhr?
  • Without being flippant, no different to any other brand. They are each their own thing. I'm probably an alder or ash guy at heart, but I've not yet come across a wood combo that sounded anything other than alive with Suhr.

i won't get one of the limited edition Auras, but will save for a Goldtop and that will be standard LP woods I'd expect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sort of GASsing for a standard in that nice green/brown burk/natural look with hsh but wouldn't know if mahogany or basswood ooohh. Naughty me. I really don't need another.

Auras look great!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited September 2018
    I've had 3 Suhrs to date and I'm currently enjoying the Alt T Pro very much, which is versatile, resonant, a great player and strikes a super balance between a vintage, worn-in instrument and a modern one.

I've also tried a good few of hubo's Suhrs and they're lovely and a bit special. His hologram one is my fave. I've also gone through a fair few tests of various Classic Pros when I was looking for a superstrat - these I found to be inconsistent in their quality of sound/tones and I always take my pedalboard along when trying and usually go into a DRRI. That way, I know what to expect. IMHO, the maple boards were better.

The first 2 Suhrs I owned were Standards - an S2 Pro (HSS, Maple neck, Alder body) and Standard (HSH, basswood, rosewood neck), respectively.

The S2 was a really good guitar and went to a forumite and a good home - he loves it. They can be picked up for really good prices. The sale was a bit of a knee-jerk one by me as really, all it needed to suit me better was a change of pickups, which would've been some VL70s or MLs or my favourites, Fralin Blues, and then something like a Thornbucker Plus in the bridge. I'd also got it into my head that I needed a more expensive and better spec'd guitar like a Tom Anderson or Tyler, but I was wrong. Oh well.

The Standard was a reverse headstock and a real-looker. It played well and had Suhrs largest neck profile, but it wasn't a baseball. Sound-wise, it fell down and I didn't like basswood. It lacked something and didn't resonate or sustain as well as other guitars I had and I didn't like the SSH+ pickup in the bridge. It was very gnarly and hot and that's even before I'd engaged the Blower Switch. A change to an SSV+ proved a better choice as it married up well with the SSV in the neck but still, the guitar felt pretty soul-less and on paper, this should've ticked all my boxes. It went fairly quickly but the build and playability were great, as was the Gotoh 510. I thought about Thornbuckers in it but I think the guitar itself wasn't as lively as I would've liked.

As I said, the Alt T is a different beast and has been described as the Suhr for people who don't like Suhrs. The Thornbuckers really are the 'secret weapon' in that guitar and looking back at my guitar history, it would appear that I've preferred lower output pickups and their tone. That's why I think I haven't enjoyed my past Suhrs, and Schecter USA Custom Shop guitar, because of the 'ok tones' but there's been nowt wrong with the guitars themselves. However, I didn't have that issue when I had a Tom Anderson years ago.

I think the Peach Ltd Superstrats that they've just introduced are interesting and worth a look as they give you the best of the Classic Pro but you get a roasted neck, 2 X MLs and a Thornbucker Plus in the bridge. Now that does tick my boxes but I'll stick with the Alt T.

I'd recommend a Suhr but like anything, you've got to find the one that suits.

https://i.imgur.com/J0FF2ok.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vR4XSbU.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    How do you find the Humbuckers mate ?

Im so delighted with my Alt TPro, I want to try a Strat style HSS
    I had one for a while. Lovely guitar (mine was a classic pro. Amazing neck). The humbucker in it was absolutely fine but I prefer their thornbuckers and prob would have changed it out had I kept the guitar. 

Got rid cos I don’t get on with HSS strats really...
  • Here's my Exotic Standard in Fireburst over a burl top

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Daaaamn, super awesome!! Do you have any clips? 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    Here's my Exotic Standard in Fireburst over a burl top

Wow! - that looks a bit tasty!  <3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    Kebabkid said:
    I've had 3 Suhrs to date and I'm currently enjoying the Alt T Pro very much, which is versatile, resonant, a great player and strikes a super balance between a vintage, worn-in instrument and a modern one.

I've also tried a good few of hubo's Suhrs and they're lovely and a bit special. His hologram one is my fave. I've also gone through a fair few tests of various Classic Pros when I was looking for a superstrat - these I found to be inconsistent in their quality of sound/tones and I always take my pedalboard along when trying and usually go into a DRRI. That way, I know what to expect. IMHO, the maple boards were better.

The first 2 Suhrs I owned were Standards - an S2 Pro (HSS, Maple neck, Alder body) and Standard (HSH, basswood, rosewood neck), respectively.

The S2 was a really good guitar and went to a forumite and a good home - he loves it. They can be picked up for really good prices. The sale was a bit of a knee-jerk one by me as really, all it needed to suit me better was a change of pickups, which would've been some VL70s or MLs or my favourites, Fralin Blues, and then something like a Thornbucker Plus in the bridge. I'd also got it into my head that I needed a more expensive and better spec'd guitar like a Tom Anderson or Tyler, but I was wrong. Oh well.

The Standard was a reverse headstock and a real-looker. It played well and had Suhrs largest neck profile, but it wasn't a baseball. Sound-wise, it fell down and I didn't like basswood. It lacked something and didn't resonate or sustain as well as other guitars I had and I didn't like the SSH+ pickup in the bridge. It was very gnarly and hot and that's even before I'd engaged the Blower Switch. A change to an SSV+ proved a better choice as it married up well with the SSV in the neck but still, the guitar felt pretty soul-less and on paper, this should've ticked all my boxes. It went fairly quickly but the build and playability were great, as was the Gotoh 510. I thought about Thornbuckers in it but I think the guitar itself wasn't as lively as I would've liked.

As I said, the Alt T is a different beast and has been described as the Suhr for people who don't like Suhrs. The Thornbuckers really are the 'secret weapon' in that guitar and looking back at my guitar history, it would appear that I've preferred lower output pickups and their tone. That's why I think I haven't enjoyed my past Suhrs, and Schecter USA Custom Shop guitar, because of the 'ok tones' but there's been nowt wrong with the guitars themselves. However, I didn't have that issue when I had a Tom Anderson years ago.

I think the Peach Ltd Superstrats that they've just introduced are interesting and worth a look as they give you the best of the Classic Pro but you get a roasted neck, 2 X MLs and a Thornbucker Plus in the bridge. Now that does tick my boxes but I'll stick with the Alt T.

I'd recommend a Suhr but like anything, you've got to find the one that suits.

https://i.imgur.com/J0FF2ok.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vR4XSbU.jpg

Those are niiiiice - I've got a thing for blue guitars at the moment (used to hate 'em!)
  • @Kebabkid - Cos, brilliant post that mate :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2018
    Ok THIS is the thread for Suhr chat ...!

So when I was in GG recently I played a whole bunch more Suhrs. 

One had a thinner than normal neck, more like an Ibanez. It was this one:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/160414296968007--suhr-guitarguitar-select-58-modern-natural-burst-burl-maple-roa
    It actually looked the part but the feel was so different due to the fretboard. 

A lot of guys say that alder is a great wood and I see this is in Epsom but I'm not committing to another guitar (looks good, though... and HSH which is handy):
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170512310566007--suhr-guitarguitar-select-66-trans-faded-whale-blue-burst

This one felt and played really awesome... the satin mahogany neck was amazing and TBH they all sound good with the Suhr pickups (though I'd have to go in a quiet room to check that... I'm pretty sure mahogany body has less "sparkle" than basswood, though cuts through the mix more). Unfortunately the top didn't look AS good up close (to me) and I wasn't keen on the knobs. 
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/171031316193007--suhr-guitarguitar-select-89-custom-modern-desert-gradient-finis

This one was by far the best - it was (to me!!) stunning, weighed perfectly, felt great and sounded sublime:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180305323929007-1025676--suhr-modern-carve-top-namm-select-js2l1r

I used to die-hard say that my Cu24 was my fave guitar but my Suhr Pro S4 with HSS is really taking over that spot. You just can't beat 22 fret HSS for that proper neck pickup sound. I also like the "medium" frets that come with it as opposed to the jumbo on the Modern (not a deal-breaker). The neck on the Suhr... you just get used to it and it starts to feel amazing. I thought the PRS pattern thin neck was the best but I realise it juts out a bit more and feels thinner (a bit like Les Paul necks but not as thick) - still great... but I've really fallen for the Suhr. I mustn't have been setting my amp right in the band as found the basswood harder to cut through the mix but on its own it sounds like heaven - very "grainy" with a bit of distortion, in a good way. Lots of bite.