Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You have £1000 to spend on a guitar.

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
Do you buy one vey nice guitar second hand for the £1000 or two nice ones at £500 each (or whatever split)?
 I say this as someone who always would go for the second option....I think.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Build something special yourself. £1000 buys top of the line hardware and electronics on top of a really nice body build. Plus you'll have an instrument you'll be bonded with from the start. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Having been on both ends of the scenario in one way or another I would always buy one at 1k. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • And I wouldn't build because the variables are too high. 
    I've done the dream parts caster thing and whilst it's a great guitar it's just nowhere near as good as my CS version. Ymmv and all that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Secondhand: Either a PRS CE22 or Yamaha SG700 or 1000. Have it refretted & set up. I can't really see a new guitar being able to compete with that. Plus your residual won't move.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • One good one. A £1000 for a used guitar gets you a hell of a lot of guitar from lots of different brands. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d buy a secondhand Revstar 502 and a secondhand mex Strat 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If I had to spend 1k right now I’d spec up another MJT Jazzmaster and put WRHBs in it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    A(nother) Ric 4001 - no contest.
  • I think it would depend on what I already had. If I had zero guitars I'd definitely buy two contrasting £500 guitars, just to cover as many bases as I could. If I already had one or two other guitars then I'd go for one really nice one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    One good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited September 2018
    I think it would depend on what I already had. If I had zero guitars I'd definitely buy two contrasting £500 guitars, just to cover as many bases as I could. If I already had one or two other guitars then I'd go for one really nice one.
    If it's all about covering basses why don't you play nothing but a variax?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'd buy one midrange one new rather than second hand.

If I could go back to the start before I had any guitars, I'd have a hard time choosing between several budget guitars and a single high end ( in reality I have several mid range, I.e. American range but at the grand mark)
  • If you suffer from constant gas then go for the two. If you already have an ideal guitar in mind, 'the one' then £1000 gets you alot of secondhand guitar.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    edited September 2018
    Take back a recently purchased R8 (if anyone has such a thing...) and use the extra £1,000 to buy an R9.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Japanese Edwards or Tokai LP Custom I reckon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it would depend on what I already had. If I had zero guitars I'd definitely buy two contrasting £500 guitars, just to cover as many bases as I could. If I already had one or two other guitars then I'd go for one really nice one.
    If it's all about covering basses why don't you play nothing but a variax?
    I actually tried that! Great bit of kit, but eventually the GAS demons came a calling and I moved it on.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    If Mrs munckee gave me the bag of sand and would allow an extra guitar I would shove it all in a used jazzmaster or maybe les Paul. More likely I would sell my strat or tele and get a used for the 1000 plus value of the one I sold. 
  • 2nd hand American Strat and some change.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • One nice guitar. As good a Fender style bolt-on  -- tele or strat style -- as I could find 2nd hand for 800 quid or so, which would get me something decent. US Fender or G&L, maybe a Japanese made model. I wouldn't be a brand snob. Buying on playability and esp. neck and basic body wood. And then put a few hundred quid to pickups or hardware improvements if it needed it.

So, if it was a nice telecaster, maybe a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck. If it was a strat, maybe a nice low-output vintage voiced humbucker, or a tele style pickup at the bridge .