Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You have £1000 to spend on a guitar.

What's Hot

Comments

• I’d take the single guitar option. £1k buys a lot of used guitar. Don’t get me wrong so can £500 but I’d still go for one higher priced.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d buy a used decent quality guitar for under £500 (PRS SE, LTD Deluxe, Fender etc) and have an evertune fitted, any remaining budget would go on pickups. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • From my recent £500 mark experiences, I’d buy an Esp ltd 1000 series for £850 or whatever they are new on sale, and have it set up properly with the remaining budget and hopefully never look back. 

I’m getting sick and tired of spending £519 (fender I’m looking at you), and having endless issues, 3 out of 4 weeks without the instrument, add in petrol for all the trips back and fourth, a set up etc, I should have just saved up a little and bought an American made one. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    IMO one good second hand guitar will get you more guitar for your bucks then other options
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    I would buy a second hand Green Epi LP and save the rest to pay bills.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    £1000 buys you so much used these days so I’d get a Les Paul or a Strat, like an AVRI or something of that ilk, maybe an Eric Johnson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 608
    11 years ago I bought an AVRI 60s Fender Telecaster. Still have it. I would buy one guitar but go for the best you can afford at the time. Worked for me! Went through a lot of mid range guitars over the years, but the higher quality guitar has stayed the distance. Just my opinion if you have a budget.
  • You have £1000 to spend on a guitar.
    Just wanted to check when you're sending me my grand? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    I'd go for a single guitar. I've owned many guitars over the years and you can get some really nice instruments for £500 (although, not quite what you could 10-15 years ago!) but with what I already have, I'd rather add a higher quality instrument.

I reckon at this particular moment with a grand to spend, I'd go for either a Jazzmaster, another Strat or maybe a super Strat of some kind, like a Charvel or something. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Over the years I’ve bought a few guitars, and I’ve recently made a few too. At this point any guitar that I might want to buy is likely to cost a little more than £1,000.

With a £1,000 budget I’m more likely to make something. I’d spend about £500 buying the parts and pickups to make a headless guitar. Hipshot tuner/bridge and headpiece (hideously expensive, with import duty on top). Some of @TheGuitarWeasel’s pickups (good value). Decent pots, switch and jack socket. Then I’d think about dropping some money on a veneer for the top, and some more on StewMac’s binding channel cutter.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Over the years I’ve bought a few guitars, and I’ve recently made a few too. At this point any guitar that I might want to buy is likely to cost a little more than £1,000.

With a £1,000 budget I’m more likely to make something. I’d spend about £500 buying the parts and pickups to make a headless guitar. Hipshot tuner/bridge and headpiece (hideously expensive, with import duty on top). Some of @TheGuitarWeasel’s pickups (good value). Decent pots, switch and jack socket. Then I’d think about dropping some money on a veneer for the top, and some more on StewMac’s binding channel cutter.
    thank you for the mention :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    Easy, @Gspb for an excellent quality build, @streethawk ; for the hardware, Mojo or weasel for pickups then @lamf68 for the finish.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve always been a buy a couple of cheaper ones instead of one expensive guitars, kind of guy, until recently. With the number of guitars I currently own, if I was going to buy any more guitars, I would choose one more, rather than two more.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• If you bide you time and wait, you could pick up s nice Pro Line Gretsch in budget. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You mean if someone gave you a grand and told you that you had to have one, or two, guitars with it and that you couldn't add any of your savings to the sum?

I think I'd get a Reverend Airwave 12-string, and if there were change, I'd buy CDs or LPs with it. It's a guitar I've wanted since reading reviews of it, and it's sufficiently different to other instruments I have to make it an interesting addition.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Definitely two at 500 apiece. Probably a Chapman Ghost Fret Standard and I'd look for a good used Tele as a contrast. 
  • Yam SG1000 like this;

Image result for Yamaha SG1000
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I could only have one guitar at £1000 I would buy the nicest second hand 335 I could find and be happy ever after
  • One good one.

All my guitars would fetch 1k or more if i sold them, and i couldn't play anything of a lower grade as it is.

There are times I think the ones I have arnt good enough, but I've been spoiled.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd save it for 6 months and buy a 2nd hand r8, I hear there's a glut of them on the market.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom