Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UK Guitar Show - 29th to 30th September

What's Hot

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Did anyone go to this? Thoughts, observations?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Yep, just got back.

It was busy and bloody noisy. Not much that you wouldn't have seen or tested at a decent guitar shop.

Complete sausage fest too

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    I'm probably being a little unfair, highlights for me were:

- seeing some crimson guitars - fabulous instruments
    - Atkin acoustics - again lovely stuff
    - Thorpy pedals looked cool - good to see the stand was busy, but that also meant I didn't really get a chance to get up close.
    - Guitarwrist were nice to meet, their charitable work sounded pretty good
  • Hmmm

Was thinking of going tomorrow. But now my war chest is earmarked for other projects... probably... and the write up isn’t mega inspiring.

Tell me: did they have stickers? :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'm going tomorrow .
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11629
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to pop along tomorrow (provided I can get my sleepy head out of bed). Come say hello if you are there too.
    Will be good to be at a show where I'm not exhibiting for a change

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

JerkMoans said:
    Hmmm

Was thinking of going tomorrow. But now my war chest is earmarked for other projects... probably... and the write up isn’t mega inspiring.

Tell me: did they have stickers? :D
    Didn't see any stickers I'm afraid (but wasn't really looking for any).

Did pick up a nice 25ft cable which had about a tenner of the street price. And some key ring/bottle opener merch shaped like a guitar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Went today.

Not as much gear as other shows, but more live stuff - both performances, and tuition/workshops.  There were events in the main auditorium, plus 3 other smaller rooms on the 3rd floor.  On the 2nd floor they had more live stuff with the Seven Decades band, plus vintage stuff on display, and being demoed.

This was rather tasty:

58 Les Paul (ignore the label that says 1956 - thats for the guitar next to it).

Also a 1950 Broadcaster, 52 Tele, 54, Strat, and an absolutely immaculate 56 Strat.
  • Despite the negativity on here towards the show, I thought it was entertaining and good value. Martin Simpson played for 45 minutes and chatted afterwards, there were the finals of Acoustic Guitarist of the Year and Guitarist of the Year, and Rory Gallagher's guitar collection was on display. What's not to like?

Plus I got to play on an amazing Turnstone guitar, and there were some great displays from Reiver guitars and others. There were some beautiful guitars from a builder from Germany all though I don't recall the name.
  • i agree i enjoyed it.  
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    I was there on Saturday, and left with very mixed feelings.
    PROS:
    - Cream Experience was excellent, with strong playing (astonishing bass), and passionate vocals
    - proper gig level volume, and generally good sound in the main auditorium (but see other comments below)
    - the Rory Gallagher collection was moving and informative
    - the workshops seemed appreciated by most
    - good to have a London-based show for all us of in Dixie
    - the Gretsch G6228 seems as good as its reviews!  Definitely a guitar to own alongside your Gibson Les Paul R types

CONS:
    - very little gear actually exhibited; only low end Fender and Marshall, for example; no Gibson, no Martin; no bass gear (except DV Mark)
    - where were the amps?  These are at least as important (if not more so) than our guitars
    - and is it too much to expect that attendees might want to buy things?  Time was when equipment would be piled high, and sold (relatively) cheap; this gave the atmosphere a buzz
    - the 7 Decades band need to allow their vocalist to sing; she was excellent (soulful, although with no histrionics), but criminally under-used to make way for the frontman's soloing 
    - the website didn't credit the side persons in the bands; why?
    - Olympia is a bleak venue; who could have known that grey was available in so many different shades (no, not those Shades...)?
    - we were worried that the expectation of this being a really big show might have had people travelling real distance to get to it; as you could easily walk round the displays in an hour, you then had to check that your vision hadn't failed, and there really was so very little there.  Reminded me of the Hammersmith Novotel shows...
    - with the exception of the ever-affable Adrian Thorpe, there were no high profile makers there.  I can recall the days of Paul Reed Smith, Jim Marshall, and Hank Marvin (I appreciate he's not a maker) signing autographs
    - ...and no high profile US artists to show us the way.  When the Hellecasters could be seen in the middle of the day (for no additional ticket charged) at past shows - and on the same bill as UK genius Albert Lee - you know you were at a real event
    - ...and there was a health and safety apparatchik going round with a decibel meter!  Come on; guitars these days are electric...I was asked to turn down, when I couldn't even hear myself (and not because it was NAMM levels of loud)
    - the show just didn't feel crowded; it made the whole event seem flat and somehow reverential 
    - and where is the innovation?  The next forward move in the whole guitar thing?  Even if it this was more vintage reissues...or more low wattage recording and gig friendly amps...or more of the Fractal/Helix/Kemper profiling/multi-effects axis

To conclude; this was quite a weird day out, and there needs to be real consideration paid to the scale and content of any future events, especially the retail side of things (GuitarGuitar in Camden definitely have more gear - to echo a previous comment).  Give us some atmosphere, because this didn't have much...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • @dcg that settles it: gonna walk the dog instead :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    @dcg that settles it: gonna walk the dog instead :D 
    If you walk it to the nearest GG or PMT etc you'll have the best of both worlds! ;)
  • terada said:
    JerkMoans said:
    @dcg that settles it: gonna walk the dog instead :D 
    If you walk it to the nearest GG or PMT etc you'll have the best of both worlds! ;)
    Until he either pissed on something or let off one of his trademark malodorous farts.

Maybe I’ll bring him to the Northampton show next weekend :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I went to one at the Olympia a few years back and it was very much like what is being described here - hardly any good stuff, not much to buy and something you would walk round in an hour. That’s exactly why I had no intention of going to this one. 

I really miss miss the old huge shows at the Excel etc 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    While there wasn't much of the mainstream big name stuff, there were quite a few l small builders.

On the acoustic side, I tried two or three Atkins, had a chat with the guy on the Turnstone stall, and a guy who had come from India with some acoustics.

There were a lot of small electric builders.  I played on one of Dominic Gray's guitars, had a chat with Crimson, Hayden Williams, and Seth Bacchus.  There were several others I didn't talk to.

I also bought a Pinegrove strap, which is not something you are going to see in a lot of shops.

I will agree there was less gear than some other shows, but if you want the big name Fender/Gibson/Martin/Marshall etc, you can get them loads of places.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14368
    tFB Trader
    Good to see some update so far guys - I think that with the connections Guitarist Mag have, then it is inevitable that the show should be strong on clinics, demos, and 'gigs' - But from what I can see, the show never had any main backing from potential dealers as show 'partners' - For what ever reason that might be - As such it was never going to be a 'gear for sale frenzy' - The manufactures/distributors etc basically don't sell direct and need  retail partners at the show - Big dealers like PMT, Andertons GuitarGuitar can influence so much what products are at the show and what deals are available and work in-conjunction with suppliers - Without this, from a sales point of view it will be low key - Even the cost of hiring a table or two for the vintage/used area was far higher than I pay at any other show I attend/exhibit at - I know a couple of guys who have had a stand at the show so will no doubt get an update later

The shows continuance will be measured by what happens next - It is not the cheapest venue to hire so stand space is not cheap - If suppliers, builders, dealers etc don't think a viable return was achieved they will think twice about any pending show for 2019 - Without this backing then no show

Equally it has been a challenge for many years now to find a suitable/affordable venue in London itself - Looks like it is not possible - Maybe a pity but that is just the way it is - @Jason will tell you more about this as he has looked at London options many times
    The shows continuance will be measured by what happens next - It is not the cheapest venue to hire so stand space is not cheap - If suppliers, builders, dealers etc don't think a viable return was achieved they will think twice about any pending show for 2019 - Without this backing then no show
    I thought this would be the case so bought a cable I didn't need or really want just to try and encourage it to grow.

Are the other shows in the UK much better (as in worth both the entry and the time and money to travel)?