Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UK Guitar Show - 29th to 30th September

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14413
    tFB Trader
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138973/the-guitar-show-2019-23rd-24th-february-the-new-bingley-hall-birmingham#latest - Run by @Jason ; - The largest show certainly with regards to new products on display and public attendance

Not sure where you live and what you expect - but see links below - These 3 promoters run table top shows, as per many USA Guitar Shows - More used then new - Some larger shows than others, so I'm guessing 500/1000 guitars on show to 2,000/3,000 on show inc pedals, amps, spares etc etc - Certainly less corporate

All are far less expensive than the recent London Show regarding entry - Think most have on site parking

http://www.mojoguitarshows.co.uk/
    http://www.guitarshows.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.myclassicguitars.co.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    crunchman said:
    While there wasn't much of the mainstream big name stuff, there were quite a few l small builders.

On the acoustic side, I tried two or three Atkins, had a chat with the guy on the Turnstone stall, and a guy who had come from India with some acoustics.

There were a lot of small electric builders.  I played on one of Dominic Gray's guitars, had a chat with Crimson, Hayden Williams, and Seth Bacchus.  There were several others I didn't talk to.

I also bought a Pinegrove strap, which is not something you are going to see in a lot of shops.

I will agree there was less gear than some other shows, but if you want the big name Fender/Gibson/Martin/Marshall etc, you can get them loads of places.
    Thanks, some really nice stuff @crunchman ;

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/Guitar-s/1829.htm

• JasonJason Frets: 1106
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    The shows continuance will be measured by what happens next - It is not the cheapest venue to hire so stand space is not cheap - If suppliers, builders, dealers etc don't think a viable return was achieved they will think twice about any pending show for 2019 - Without this backing then no show
    I thought this would be the case so bought a cable I didn't need or really want just to try and encourage it to grow.

Are the other shows in the UK much better (as in worth both the entry and the time and money to travel)?
    Hello

Thanks Mark @guitars4you. I've just got back from Olympia, I was surprised by the show, but I'll say no more.

@terada my show is in Birmingham every February, it is probably 4 x the size of the Olympia show, it has pretty much everything that this show has, but then a whole lot more. I won't lie and tell you that its in such a prestigious venue, but then I don't charge prestigious prices, I believe that my show is a hell of a lot more fun, but thats up to you to decide.

Here are some facts

1. 4 x the size
    2. bigger names on the live stage
    3. cheaper
    4. free car parking (limited at the venue - but the streets are free too)
    5. curry and chips for £3.00
    6. The Fretboard has a stand
    7. many, many more exhibitors
    8. deals a plenty

The website is www.theguitarshow.co.uk have a look and decide if its for you.

I can't remember if it was you asking about Gibson, but as long as they remain in Chapter 11, they can't do anything, I suspect we won't see them anywhere but NAMM for quite a while yet.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Did anyone see RDA amplification there ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    I had a travel nightmare (drove from Wilts to Crystal Palace to stay with a friend and we hopped a train from there to the venue) - Mr, through London, then London trains were all fucked meaning I was hours later than planned - made the workshops and live stage stuff moot as I missed it all and got there around 4. 

The exhibition floor was very poor - no other way to put it really. Seemed to be a combination of fewer of those interesting lesser known brands that you see at places like the Brum show, none of the big retail stands knocking out bargains that you see elsewhere, and some of the name brands seemed to have a smaller or more lacklustre presence than they've had before (Orange may as well have had a banner saying "Look, where here ok but we really can't be arsed" ha) 

Luckily for me catching up with my mate, and the Cream Experience gig made trip worthwhile, but there's zero chance I'll fuck about hauling into London for another of these.

The Birmingham show is significantly better, and if I feel the need for additional fix the Kemotion Park show was a far better atmosphere than London 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I was really looking forward to going and imho it was a total waste of time and not remotely worth even the discounted ticket price. 
    I took my time and had a good look around everything (even the stands that didn't interest me) and was in and out in less than an hour. 
    Massive disappointment.   
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Jason said:
    5. curry and chips for £3.00

That's the winner right there! 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    First guitar show for me so no real expectations to be met.

Went along with a mate and was there for most of the day, not a huge amount of stands and the vintage area was limited but it was enjoyable.

The Pedal Show live and the Cream Experience were the highlights for me, along with having a chat to Thorpy and Danish Pete.

Cheers

TC
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 888
    dcg said:

- the website didn't credit the side persons in the bands; why?

My friend Doug played drums in the Cream / Hendrix Experience and with the That Pedal Show band. One of his regular gigs is with Dan from TPS in The Tin Spirits - featuring Dan and Dave Gregory on guitar. Saw them recently and preferred Dave Gregory`s tone.... :-) 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I was really looking forward to going and imho it was a total waste of time and not remotely worth even the discounted ticket price. 
    I took my time and had a good look around everything (even the stands that didn't interest me) and was in and out in less than an hour. 
    Massive disappointment.   
    Same for me .. quite disappointing. Even my girlfriend was surprised of how poor it was.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11638
    tFB Trader
    It certainly was eye-wateringly expensive
    £25 to get in on the day
    £2.50 for a small bottle of water 
    £6.50 for a hot dog 

I bet an awful lot of people went out of the venue to the Tesco across the road to buy drinks and snacks.

I did enjoy my day out , but that was because I got to catch up with a lot of people who were there. 
    A chance to catch up with some of the other exhibitors who whilst I see at Birmingham show , I don't get so much chance to chat to as we are all so busy tending our own stands. Saw a number of my customers too , which is always nice.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JamieDJamieD Frets: 30
    Hi, just wanted to join the thread speaking as one of the people who helped to organise the UK Guitar Show. Firstly, thanks to everyone who came along, especially those who were kind enough to come see me, Nev Marten and Mick Taylor have a bash at some classic Jimi and Cream tracks on Saturday night. It really was appreciated and we hope we gave you a good show. Also, thanks to those who shared their feedback on the show more generally here, both good and bad - it will help guide how we develop the UK Guitar Show for next year. We're definitely going to do it again, bigger and better, because the response we had from the overwhelming majority of visitors and exhibitors - that's everyone from PRS and Gretsch to independents such as Thorpy FX and others – we spoke to was really great and we want to build on that to offer visitors even more to enjoy next time.

To those who didn't enjoy the day for whatever reason, sorry you had a negative experience. Most people I spoke to seemed to be enjoying their day out but as mentioned, the less favourable comments on the event are food for thought for next year and while we'd rather everyone had a brilliant time we'd be crazy not to use such feedback constructively. At the end of the day, it's a brand-new show that's aiming to entertain visitors and do something positive to promote guitars and guitar playing at a national level event. I don't personally see the necessity to choose between this and other shows as if they were rival football teams - we're at the other end of the calendar from Jason Hunt's excellent Birmingham show, for example, and we're all supporting the same industry – so I'd simply invite anyone who didn't come down this time to visit next year and decide for themselves. We had a great time putting on the show and enjoying the weekend with all those who came along to visit, so big thanks again to everyone who attended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I echo all that Jamie has said. It was great meeting so many readers and getting so much positive feedback. Despite a few nervy moments the Cream/Hendrix gig was great fun and thanks for those that have commented so nicely about it.

It was our first guitar show as Future, but I would point out that Guitarist itself created the template for this type of event back in 1987 with the Guitarist Shows. I was editor at the time and personally helped to shape them, along with Dave Mead who I still sit next to at work. We ran them annually and they eventually turned into bigger events that played London, Manchester and Glasgow.

But back to the UK Guitar Show, I'd also mention the brilliant free workshops/clinics that were on offer this year from some of the country's most amazing teachers/players. And the Guitarist Of The Year finals where players young and old travelled as far and wide as Singapore, America and Russia to be there. The standard was terrifyingly good and I was proud to be a judge (remember we also 'discovered' Guthrie Govan and quite a few other current luminaries from running that competition).

To have Rory's guitars was amazing, and his brother and nephew on hand too, was just so nice. Not to mention Seven Decades who happily hung a bank vault's worth of vintage instruments on their beautiful backdrop for all to see and hear.

Lastly, I try to go to as many shows as I can, from Sheehan's back in the day to the Brum one. I never have anything negative to say about them as I believe this very small industry needs as much positivity as it can get, and sniping is unfortunate, to say the least.

The show will be back next year, of course bigger (many exhibitors who wanted to come simply couldn't for logistical reasons - Martin for instance), and better. And, as Jamie says, any and all feedback will help it to be so. But reading certain of the comments on here, I think I must have been at another event entirely!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    Thanks Jamie and Nev for chiming in - and in such a constructive tone. 

I'm on record (per above) as being disappointed at the show (Cream Experience aside) but do really hope it can go from strength to strength. I agree it's not a zero-sum game. Personally I'll skip next year and if it sounds like it's growing/worth the aggro and cost of London travel/ticket price then who knows. 

Red ones are better.