Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Decent Cable Suggestions

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I got some cables from @Danny1969 - Van Damme cable and Neutrik ends and made by a fretboarder. What more could you want!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Gassage said:
    I really urge you to buy Evidence. I have heard the difference with my own ears and simply couldn't believe it.
    Mmmm? 80 quid? I know I spend that on plenty of things, but a cable? You can hear the difference. Are you Eric Johnson in disguise?
    Well he does own Eric Johnson's amp :).

There can be a difference - and it's not always subtle. There is a good reason why it should be so - the capacitance of the cable is well within the range where it makes a measurable and easily audible difference to the frequency response of a passive electric guitar, because the output impedance of the guitar is so high. It's essentially exactly the same as a second tone control turned down, although with a smaller cap value.

But it is only the capacitance that matters, and it's directly dependent on length as well as the quality of the cable - so if you want a clearer sound, it's often as effective to use a shorter cable than a better quality one, assuming you don't actually need the extra length. One reason curly cables tend to roll off top-end so much is because they're actually very long - a typical "10-foot" one is actually about 30 feet of cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Klotz 59 is rather nice and it's low impedance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    I really urge you to buy Evidence. I have heard the difference with my own ears and simply couldn't believe it.
    Mmmm? 80 quid? I know I spend that on plenty of things, but a cable? You can hear the difference. Are you Eric Johnson in disguise?

Really? That’s cool!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Megii said:
    @designacable does good stuff at very reasonable prices www.designacable.com (or via ebay).
    If I’ve got the plugs and cable then I make my own. Otherwise these guys can make it for around what it costs me to buy the parts.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Really? That’s cool!
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135520/holy-cow-what-the-f-ck-have-i-done-new-incoming-vintage-amp-content#latest

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Ive tried a few cables now and have settled on the Lava Vintage cables, solid, well built cables that aren't too expensive. It's just finding somewhere that has them in stock!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Lava-Cable-ELC-Vintage-Tweed-Instrument-Cable-30ft/1HRL
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Good to know @robinbowes ;

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    fftc said:
    Are there any decent curly cables?

divine noise. not cheap tho!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3602
    I have a couple of fender cables, never had an issue with them, but they dont get abused much though. Surely if you buy online then you dont need a receipt?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    bbill335 said:
    fftc said:

Been using Divine Noise curly cable without a problem for 3 years - best cable ever had and worth every penny. Get the 50/50 cable and it doesn’t do the dreaded curly cable jumping out the amp socket trick for when you stretch it. 

https://thedivinenoise.com/divine/pages/cables/50-50
  • Gassage said:
    Which ones have to tried and prefer?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    ricky50 said:
    bbill335 said:
    fftc said:

Been using Divine Noise curly cable without a problem for 3 years - best cable ever had and worth every penny. Get the 50/50 cable and it doesn’t do the dreaded curly cable jumping out the amp socket trick for when you stretch it. 

https://thedivinenoise.com/divine/pages/cables/50-50

try the hendrix trick - plug into a heavy fuzz face or wah first!
  • Using Klotz mostly. But still grab an odd Stagg by mistake.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    robgilmo said:
    I have a couple of fender cables, never had an issue with them, but they dont get abused much though. Surely if you buy online then you dont need a receipt?
    Bought one from Amazon that failed after a couple of years.

They sent me a returns label and asked would I like a replacement or money back.

Can't argue with that. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    jdgm said:
    fftc said:

Curly cables are horrid.....IMO.
    But yes there are decent ones if you want -

I spent £40 on a P Cornish 'Silver Signature' lead at least a decade ago....they cost more now but - that's a cable!!

I also have a load of Pete's cables and have had one or two failures on patch leads, but some are 10 yrs old. Great cables.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Neil said:
    robgilmo said:

They sent me a returns label and asked would I like a replacement or money back.

Can't argue with that. 
    Absolutely. Although I bought mine in a Dawson’s and have no receipt. Not the end of the world but I’ll not be buying any more.
  • :) kt66 said:
    Custom made Nordost Odin or nothing for me  =)

Just looked that up. Perfect!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Neil said:
    robgilmo said:

Can't argue with that. 
    The problem is whether this gets back to Fender, or whether Amazon just cover it themselves.

Fender really need to know why their cables are no good - it would be easy for them to fix, if only they used decent plugs on them. The cable itself is actually very good, and I've repaired a lot of them by fitting Neutrik plugs - which is quite difficult, but does a great job. Even standard Switchcraft plugs would be better than the junk they use...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I use a few that @robinbowes made for me and I’m very pleased with the quality of them.