Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrives that also work into clean amps

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Rat. You just need the filter set a bit higher into a clean amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I like RAT's into clean amps. 

Not as fond into a dirty one. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I like the Blackstar HT-Dual into a clean amp.
    tFB Trader
    I can't imagine it working into a dirty amp though?
  • Drew_fx said:
    I like the Blackstar HT-Dual into a clean amp.

It does sound good into both and an obvious advantage is that you can have it setting one channel for your clean amp and one for your dirty.

As an 'uncool' outsider the Hardwire CM-2 was pretty impressive into both,  fairly flexible and probably only £40-£50 s/h to try.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    tFB Trader
    Would quite like to try a CM-2

I've had an SC-2 in the past and that was decent. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nah it works okay. Just gotta watch the gain levels when you do it that way.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    Emma Stinkbug.

I don't know why this pedal doesn't get more press.
  • ZVex Distortron would get my vote as well. I used to run it into an AC30 that was wound up to just below breakup so I was getting a mix of the pedal gain and the amp being being pushed over the edge. Lovely. 

I love my Bognor Blue but I'm not sure how it would sound into a driven amp. What I do like about it is the three band EQ and plenty of toggle switches that make a noticeable difference. It means you have to spend more time with it than a regular vol/tone/gain pedal but it's worth it. Plus the lead boost is great. 
    tFB Trader
    I'm actually very seriously considering the Bognor Blue on the classifieds. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    What about the V1 Marshall Guv'nor in the classifieds?
    They sound great.
    tFB Trader
    Since realising that they had a loop into which I could put a delay I'm quite enamoured of the Mk1 Guv'nor
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    monquixote;20089" said:
    Since realising that they had a loop into which I could put a delay I'm quite enamoured of the Mk1 Guv'nor
    oh, do they ? I was thinking not enough pedals have their own loop. I think some of the Amptweaker ones do but I couldn't think of any others.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah it works okay. Just gotta watch the gain levels when you do it that way.
    And the EQ. I don't like the HT-Dist I have (basically channel 2 of the Dual) into a dirty amp, or at least not with anything like the same EQ that I would want into a clean amp, but I may be using much less mids than you do. You can get away with it better if you boost the mids and cut treble and bass, but I still don't really like it... too muddy. The Mesa V-Twin suffers from exactly the same problem - I'd never consider them overdrive pedals, they're preamps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm actually very seriously considering the Bognor Blue on the classifieds. 
    If by some stretch I make it to the East Anglian meet up next month I'll bring my board so you can try it. It's pretty unlikely I'll make it though. :(
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The Big Bite overdrive is great for this. Used to run it into a super clean Carlsbro 50 Top for slightly driven and then lead boost tones. Sounds just as good into the Genz Benz Black Pearl when I stack it with the Pearl's on board boost. Well worth a look and an awesome UK based builder too!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    My absolute favourite for both situations is the Honeybee...
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I love the trex moeller. Clean channel gives lovely light to mid gains with tonnes of clarity and into an OD channel you get pretty much what you'd expect
    How very rock and roll
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    fairfield circuitry barbershop
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    I haven't tried it, but as far as i'm aware a signa drive is basically a tweaked tubescreamer, so if you don't like how a tubescreamer sounds into a clean amp...