Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrives that also work into clean amps

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Many drives are tweaked tubescreamers though and some of them sound rather better like the Fulldrive in MOSFET mode. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Dave_Mc said:
    I haven't tried it, but as far as i'm aware a signa drive is basically a tweaked tubescreamer, so if you don't like how a tubescreamer sounds into a clean amp...

That's far too simplistic I'm afraid, yes it is TS derived, but what isn't, even though I draw the line at inflated prices an marketing BS, I don't get the "all tube screamer type pedals sound the same" argument, I've tried enough and they really don't.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Out of my current dirt collection I'd say the JHS Double Barrel fits in to this category. I tend to run it mainly with my EmDrive already on, set to a very low setting (never really turn this thing off) but it also works in an untouched clean channel. The Morning Glory side gives an early break up sound to a clean amp with some nice colouration then the ts808 side sets it over the edge. I'm going to be interested to see how this compares to the Rook Royale I have on the way!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360

Many drives are tweaked tubescreamers though and some of them sound rather better like the Fulldrive in MOSFET mode. 
    dindude said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    I haven't tried it, but as far as i'm aware a signa drive is basically a tweaked tubescreamer, so if you don't like how a tubescreamer sounds into a clean amp...

That's far too simplistic I'm afraid, yes it is TS derived, but what isn't, even though I draw the line at inflated prices an marketing BS, I don't get the "all tube screamer type pedals sound the same" argument, I've tried enough and they really don't.
    Yeah of course, I'm not saying that you can't change how the thing sounds by changing a strategic component here and there, just getting something which is completely different may sound even better into a clean amp. or may not.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    I don't know why the general consensus is that tubescreamers don't work with clean amps. Granted, you may need a proper hairy-chested amp like a four-input Marshall, but it works very well for me.

Small boxes with a single 12" and too many 12ax7s always seem too mid-heavy for a TS no matter how expensive, but big, deep-voiced amps which were in common use when the Tubescreamer was designed still sound great with it.
    tFB Trader
    I'm normally using blackface type amps where it makes you sound a bit like you're playing down a telephone line. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    p90fool said:
    I don't know why the general consensus is that tubescreamers don't work with clean amps. Granted, you may need a proper hairy-chested amp like a four-input Marshall, but it works very well for me.

Small boxes with a single 12" and too many 12ax7s always seem too mid-heavy for a TS no matter how expensive, but big, deep-voiced amps which were in common use when the Tubescreamer was designed still sound great with it.
    I still find them too middy and boxy, and I do use big deep-voiced amps. (Actually very deep-voiced amps... the sort of sound I always wanted out of 4-input Marshalls but could never get deep or heavy enough.) I actually much prefer 'distortion' pedals into clean amps, they sound much more open and chunky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    It's horse for courses I guess, I wouldn't advocate the use of a TS into a clean amp as a core sound, but it certainly has its uses for me in the studio, controlling some of the inherent boominess of some old halfstacks.
    A lot of that clean, natural depth can get lost in a mix.
  • Since realising that they had a loop into which I could put a delay I'm quite enamoured of the Mk1 Guv'nor
    What's the difference with that and just putting the delay after the Guv'nor?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Since realising that they had a loop into which I could put a delay I'm quite enamoured of the Mk1 Guv'nor
    What's the difference with that and just putting the delay after the Guv'nor?
    you can do OD+delay with just one stomp of your Doc Marten.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    VALVESPORKER!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader

VALVESPORKER!!
    I would if I could find one, but a certain otter stopped making them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I always liked a TS into clean amps,  turn the tone down to about 10 o'clock and keep the gain around 10-2 o'clock. Worked for me anyways.

other pedals, are the Barber Small fry which is awesome.  I'm liking the plimsoul at the moment, initially when I got it i  didn't take to it, but after a bit of fiddling starting to dig it big style.  seems to work nicely into clean amp and also a dirty channel.
  • [...]
    Things I'm interested to try include the AC Boost and the Signadrive. 
    For what it's worth, I've A/B'ed the AC Boost and LSIII - not sure which I prefer, they're different but not wildly so. The AC is maybe slightly smoother on the drive (TS heritage, I suppose) and more 'hi-fi' sounding, especially on the top end - with a big clean fender you might be running the AC with the treble at the centre notch, or even slightly below. 

I've not monstered the AC through a Twin, but have found it to work well with a DRRI both above and below amp breakup levels. I'd definitely give one a go, given the second hand prices and availability.

• The vs route 66 is a great drive for pushing an amp, then flip the bass boost on and it makes for a nice drive for smooth, but crunchy, chord playing. It even gets rawky on a bridge bucker if you want it to. I really like it. Switch the compressor on at the same time, and things can get pretty cool.
    tFB Trader
    The vs route 66 is a great drive for pushing an amp, then flip the bass boost on and it makes for a nice drive for smooth, but crunchy, chord playing. It even gets rawky on a bridge bucker if you want it to. I really like it. Switch the compressor on at the same time, and things can get pretty cool.
    And I just so happen to be selling one :D
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9584
    edited September 2013
    Best ever ? Kingsley Jester...

Most consistent ? ANY of the Bearfoot range

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    I think one of the most under rated pedals out there is the Digitech Bad Monkey. I've used one as the core of my overdrive/distortion sound for the last five years or so. I either run it as a clean boost in front of the drive channel with some beans already applied ... here it sounds great ... or I use it with about three quarter drive on the clean channel ... and it sounds brilliant used like that too. It  now sits in my pedal board with a Joyo 'American' amp side of it ... and a Tubescreamer guitar side of it. Run with my clean channel the Joyo is set to just break up when I hit hard ... then the Monkey does heavy crunch ... and I can step on the Tubescreamer for a smooth solo boost. Amazingly this rig is very quiet
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Best ever ? Kingsley Jester...

Most consistent ? ANY of the Bearfoot range

Was looking at the Bearfoot website the other day, very confusing range I have to say, but I am a Bjorn Juhl fan so there must be some good stuff in there somewhere.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I think one of the most under rated pedals out there is the Digitech Bad Monkey. I've used one as the core of my overdrive/distortion sound for the last five years or so. I either run it as a clean boost in front of the drive channel with some beans already applied ... here it sounds great ... or I use it with about three quarter drive on the clean channel ... and it sounds brilliant used like that too. It  now sits in my pedal board with a Joyo 'American' amp side of it ... and a Tubescreamer guitar side of it. Run with my clean channel the Joyo is set to just break up when I hit hard ... then the Monkey does heavy crunch ... and I can step on the Tubescreamer for a smooth solo boost. Amazingly this rig is very quiet

I agree with the BM being under rated. I loves mine, although I use it as a gain/volume lead boost rather than a "core tone" pedal.

I find it sounds best into a valve amp (DSL) but a bit dull/lacklustre into a SS (Valvestate 30)amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)