Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• To be fair the Helix range is pretty amazing and so far ahead of the curve on most things. However I have to agree that the modelling falls way short of the Kemper. IMHO, YMMV, no need to cry etc. 

But like I said, the Helix range does other things so well they can both co-exist happily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2018
    simonk said:
    With the 6 block maximum, if you run 2 separate amps (for clean and distortion) does that have any noticeable impact on the remaining amount of DSP for other FX blocks? 
    That would probably depend on which amps you chose... some are definitely more DSP intensive that others. I’ll try a few scenarios later when I get a minute.
    Just did a few quick tests and two amp/cab blocks don't leave you much DSP for other stuff (could have delay or reverb but not both). Two amp blocks and a separate cab block fares slightly better but that's half your blocks done before you start adding the gravy. That was done using amps I know to tie up less DSP (Deluxe NRM and the Plexi's for example), sticking both Placaters into a patch will likely be worse.

Edit: actually the Placaters aren's as bad as I thought...

In conclusion, two amps can be done but it depends on which ones and what else you want in there with them.
  • Jees this is getting a bit personal over a pedal that digitally provides amps, cabs and effects! 

If a user has tried all of the Helix models, states the positives, then tries the latest version, and continues to hold an opinion that the Helix amp models aren't up to the standard of Kemper, I think I'd be happy to accept his opinion! 
    I'm completely open to someone's opinion, he's stating it as fact and I am not a fan of anyone  belittling one of the big modellers over and other. He's not the only person in this thread to have owned a bunch of high end modellers but we just don't use the fact as a shield from which to chuck rocks from behind

I've been listening to Waz bashing Helix for about 2 years now, I really wonder where he gets the energy
    I don't use anything as a shield; don't need to. And why would I keep buying Helix stuff if Ive bashed them for 2 years ???

My objection is indeed to the "belittling"... quote - "With respect I would advise potentially interested buyers not to pay much heed to the views of people who try and return within a day or two"

AnywayI'm not even going to get embroiled in all this... but duly noted for future reference...
    Thats some really strange threatening language you're using there...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Wazmeister do you use kemper into monitors/pa or powered into a guitar cab? Same question for when you owned Helix. I value your opinion and would like to know. I'm currently using my Helix into a Yamaha DXR 10 and i'm pretty happy with it, and certainly it's saved me a ton of money on that endless perfect pedal chase. I would love to try the Kemper though and was wondering if you'd tried it into a PA speaker like the DXR10 (which I believe you own/used to own.
  • I haven't had enough time to play about fully but having tried an LT for a few weeks previously and now having Stomp for a week I think the FX are great but the amp models are not as pleasing as they are on Kemper (which I have owned for a fair few years now).  I wanted Stomp for practicing/recording when I can't take a full home studio setup so I am not that bothered but it can sound a bit like a Pocket Pod if you aren't careful.

Again my opinion :shrug:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Got my HX Stomp yesterday and set up some tones - sounds good to me. Put it in a mix with bass, drums and keys and I doubt anyone would notice nor care. Cork sniffing gets you nowhere. Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page recorded some great albums on a cranked Fender Champ which was designed as a practice amp. At the end of the day they are tools. I find the ease of use of the HX Stomp stimulates your creativity with the wide variety of tones.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited November 2018
    Well, my Stomp will be returned back to Guitar Guitar.

Love the Helix routing, like the FX, but still think the amps are way behind the Kemper.
    With respect I would advise potentially interested buyers not to pay much heed to the views of people who try and return within a day or two. Kemper is obviously excellent sounding but (by this firmware) it's a case of which do you prefer- probably the one you're most used to- and not that one is "way behind" the other
    With respect mate, do me a favour...

Ive owned Helix floor (twice), HX effects, LT and Stomp.

It is “way behind” Kemper on amps, imho, and not based on a “day or two”
    After owning 2 Helix units, Axe afx2, Axe Fx3 and now a Kemper, @Wazmeister is 100% correct as far as my experience is concerned. All the units have their pros and cons but the Kemper Amps are in a different league and the Fractal units have best effects. Line 6 scores on ease of use, flexibility and value for money, some people swear by them and the Stomp does seem excellent vfm and is aimed at a different market tbh
  • @Wazmeister do you use kemper into monitors/pa or powered into a guitar cab? Same question for when you owned Helix. I value your opinion and would like to know. I'm currently using my Helix into a Yamaha DXR 10 and i'm pretty happy with it, and certainly it's saved me a ton of money on that endless perfect pedal chase. I would love to try the Kemper though and was wondering if you'd tried it into a PA speaker like the DXR10 (which I believe you own/used to own.
    Hi Mate !

I actually have TWO set ups; one for home and one for live/rehearsal...

I still own two DXR 10s (we use them for the band as PA), and I do like them. Sound good, if not a bit bright/digital for my liking. Mind you, I played through two last night with the Kemper and they sounded mighty

So,

1.) Home - I use Genelecs 8020s and 8010s

2.) Live - Red Sound LP12 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited November 2018
    Pointless getting in a knot about someone's opinion. If it works for you then get on with it and enyoy it. I absolutely agree with @Wazmeister though, I have to say. Spent a lot of time with all of the newest Kemper, Helix and Fractal units. It's not fact, it's my opinion.

That said, this little fella looks the dogs swingers and if I had some spare cash, instead of spunking it on plugins, I'd have one in a shot, to compliment the toaster.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't had enough time to play about fully but having tried an LT for a few weeks previously and now having Stomp for a week I think the FX are great but the amp models are not as pleasing as they are on Kemper (which I have owned for a fair few years now).  I wanted Stomp for practicing/recording when I can't take a full home studio setup so I am not that bothered but it can sound a bit like a Pocket Pod if you aren't careful.

Again my opinion :shrug:
    If you have a preference for a particular brand of IR then I would definitely advise using them with Helix and not relying on the stock cabs. 

However, I find that setting the hi and lo cuts to be vital in Helix. NEVER use the cuts in the cab or IR block as they have a strange curve. Always use a separate Hi Lo cut block.

There are a few not so good models in Helix imo but I think that the Matchless, Litigator, Plexi BRT, Deluxe, PRS dirt channel, Lonetsar Clean, Mod 2204 and even the Placater are as good as any profiles I've ever played through. There's a lot fo crappy profiles out there too just like there's not so good amp models in Helix. The Hi and Lo cuts are really important though.

Still prefer S-Gear for a lot of things though, especially headphone practice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeh I did actually do the hi and lo cut...still same outcome for me. Enjoying the device but very glad to have the Kemper as main sound as said above if people are happy then doesn't matter what we all use.

Next is to try it more into an amp as purely FX which should be fun.

The HX Edit software is great. As stated in the Kemper thread it would be amazing to have similar on that platform too.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Mine arrived from PMT today, bought as a handy back up for Kemper or Axe II. Not tried Helix of any sort before so was looking forward to playing around with it this evening.

Definitely wanted the USB driver and editor so went to the Line 6 website. You have to create an account to download anything so I tried to do that. After numerous attempts on my PC and iPad, all I'm getting is error messages. I'm getting an OK against all the fields so no idea why it won't allow me to create an account.

Anyone else had this problem? Any advice @rossyamaha ?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Just tried again and it's logged me in. That was weird!  :o
    drwiddly said:
    Just tried again and it's logged me in. That was weird!  :o
    The Line 6 website was down for much of the day ... I had the same problem. Seems to be working OK now.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    I see the dude who runs The Helix Channel on Youtube is feeling grumpy - his Stomp developed a fault, was returned, but is out of stock and he can't get another - not good press given that he was in the middle of creating custom presets and has decent viewing figures. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I see the dude who runs The Helix Channel on Youtube is feeling grumpy - his Stomp developed a fault, was returned, but is out of stock and he can't get another - not good press given that he was in the middle of creating custom presets and has decent viewing figures. 
    Got a link? Might like to check out his channel.

Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:
    Got a link? Might like to check out his channel.
    I really like him.

Channel is a combination of tips (moreso in the earlier days of Helix) and demos of his free presets (Fridays I think) and the paid-for preset packs he does. I like his vibe. 

Red ones are better. 
    That was a browser url to the videos listing - forum does it's own sweet thing with it though :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
    google "The Helix Channel" 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    google "The Helix Channel" 
    Found it  -  thanks.