The Jump/Swing Blues Thread

What's Hot

Welcome

This has come about from a thread in the classifieds for a Vintage47 Micro Mini amp and the conversations that built up around that. I suggested starting a seperate thread to stop the highjacking of that thread so we could discuss gear, who we're listening to, what we're learing etc. So @JMC, @DB1, @billzabozo, @pinstripephil, @surfguy13 and anyone else who wants to join in...let's begin :)

So, I've been trying to learn this stuff for the last couple of years, I didn't really know people like Bill Jennings, Tiny Grimes etc. until I started looking for ways to play blues rhythm guitar that wasn't your usual boogie guitar line and lead that wasn't a pentatonic box. Came across Tommy Harkenrider online and it began there. I bought his jump blues lessons and signed up to his subscription lessons and it's slowly coming together. Difficult to find anyone around here (Manchester) who's into this sort of stuff to actually jam on or start a band but that's my plan going forward.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• One of New England's finest:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn’t narrow it down to New England...he’s one of the finest anywhere! 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I'm down the road from you (a bit far possibly) in Stafford, and have only started playing (again) over the last couple of years, but jump, swing, blues, etc, and the jazz side of blues (as opposed to the blue side of jazz!) is where I'm at. I have haven't subscribed to Tommy H yet, but I do subscribe to a few TrueFire courses and a Keith Wyatt course. Tutors/players that I like are the two already mentioned, Damian Bacci (rockabilly, but jazzy as well), Mark Wein, Rodney Gene Jr, the Old School Blues Channel, Kid Ramos, Jonathan Stout (swing etc) Chris Corcoran and a fair few others. 
    Call me Dave.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Listen to some Louis Jordan !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lots of names to check out from you guys. @edenfield99 - if you manage to start a band playing this stuff - good on you. Finding a drummer for it may well be your biggest challenge.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Jalapeno said:
    Listen to some Louis Jordan !

How could I have forgotten to mention Louis Jordan? I was buying his records 30 years ago! :-)  T-Bone as well, also (you can hear where Chuck Berry got a lot of his inspiration from)
    Call me Dave.
  • telehack said:
    Lots of names to check out from you guys. @edenfield99 - if you manage to start a band playing this stuff - good on you. Finding a drummer for it may well be your biggest challenge.
    Yes, plenty of drummers out there but they’re all modern blues guys, not the swing drummer you need for this sort of thing. 

Wynnonie Harris also has some cool guitar players (Mary Osbourne), also check out some of the Nat King Cole Trio’s instrumentals for a more swinging feel...and it’s no less cooler for that! 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I wouldn’t narrow it down to New England...he’s one of the finest anywhere! 
    Duke Robillard's CD "Swing" (on the Rounder label) is just totally superb though it might be hard to find now.

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader
    My dad is a sax player and brought up listening/playing to swing/jazz blues from the 40's and 50's  - As such I've always been influenced by sax players and the music of this era, which in many ways were rock n roll came from - I love the type of music that is not pure swing, jazz, blues etc but takes interest from all, inc rock n roll and indeed country

So Little Walter to Ray Charles - Louis Jordan to Eddie Cochran - Love artist today like Duke Robillard and Pokey La Farge

Call it swing, call it jazz, call it blue, call it jump n jive - They all borrow from each other

I love the genius of a song like 'Hit the road Jack' that it has no solo - Yet if you covered it you can add solo if required, or indeed just drop on to a bass guitar + drum groove and sit on it for a couple of chorus

Great aspect of youtube in that you find an artist but on the right hand side it lists so many similar songs/artists, styles etc that before you know where you are you've spent an hour touring, discovering etc

• Great aspect of youtube in that you find an artist but on the right hand side it lists so many similar songs/artists, styles etc that before you know where you are you've spent an hour touring, discovering etc
    I know that!! I call it going down a YouTube rabbit hole! I ended up watching drumming lessons last week and I don’t even drum!! Swing music...Buddy Rich....Quick aside to the muppets...drum Battles....drum lessons! 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7574
    Forumite @Lewy used to play some sweet jump blues 
    Red ones are better. 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

loved when Brian Setzer had a go at it.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    It's about time someone mentioned Charlie Baty, esrtwhile of Little Charlie & The Nightcats.

Here's a starter-for-10 :)

• Hollywood Fats is good one and William Clarke            
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4256
    edited October 2018
    I love this style - Gatemouth Brown, Hollywood Fats and the amazing Junior Watson. 

A pretty obscure guy who you are unlikely to stumble across but who does have some stuff on iTunes is Job Striles, especially his album “Sings and Plays”. There’s a track on there called “Coffee” that kills, as well as a great version of Okie Dokie Stomp.

I find a big part of getting that sound is “playing the II-V that isn’t there” especially going from the I to the IV. Then the judicious dropping in of Charlie Christian and bebop licks here and there. 

If I was looking for a drummer I’d be looking amongst jazzers instead of people who considered themselves blues players. Ditto for bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader

This fats Domino track almost sums up this style and era for me in one track - I know there are shed loads of options etc etc, but in one track this does/says a lot - along with this by Little Walter

• I should start taking notice of this stuff. It's what I've been wanting to play for a while
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Jimmy Sutton's Four Charms do some great swing and jump style music. The guitar player (Joel Paterson) is fantastic: rhythm time feel, and soloing. Lots of tasty playing.

Joel Patterson playing live (in a swing style): 

Or with a looper at home, copping Les Paul: 

Older live video:

Live show:  - check about 14 minutes in for a lovely bit of playing.

• Excellent thread @edenfield99 my first of many possible gear questions, strings.

I assume flatwounds? I currently have all my guitars strung with flats even my telecaster & love the sound and feel (it forces me to play in a certain way) but I do find I need quite bright amps to compensate.