The Jump/Swing Blues Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025

BTW, do watch this:
    https://youtu.be/2_6uwMIoG6g
    And this:
    https://youtu.be/R_qlXRXr5yA
    Solid gold jump blues info right there. Now go seek out those players tunes. I first did that 10+ years ago and I Have still barely scratched the surface of it all. Best journey ever. :-)
    Brilliant, thanks!
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I would listen to a lot more of this stuff but I'm logged on with a laptop and its speakers are crap, they can't reproduce anything with a lower fundamental than a guitar's G string. Neither have I found an audio out socket on the back or sides, otherwise I'd try connecting it to my stereo system :(

Why is audio on modern technology such utter shite?
    I bought a 10 quid Bluetooth receiver for my stereo, and send my laptop audio to that.
    I usually use this into a Hot Rod Deluxe IV clean channel for this style. I love the simplicity, the lack of tonal choices makes me play so much better. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/a29q20.jpg

Incidentally @PinstripePhil am I hearing a lot of out of phase pickups in the Jump Blues guitarists video? 

Is that an ES-5 feature, I've never played one? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    Yes, that's a sound that is typically ES-5. I had a '56 ES-5 Switchmaster (P90s) that gave that effect when all three p/u's were being blended. Funnily enough I also had a couple of Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxes which were earlier ES-5 in their makeup (i.e. no switch) and found the out of phase tone easier to achieve. I liked my Switchmaster but would probably go for a plain ES-5 next time, although they're less popular now.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I usually use this into a Hot Rod Deluxe IV clean channel for this style. I love the simplicity, the lack of tonal choices makes me play so much better. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/a29q20.jpg

Incidentally @PinstripePhil am I hearing a lot of out of phase pickups in the Jump Blues guitarists video? 

Is that an ES-5 feature, I've never played one? 
    Wow, that looks great. I assumed it was an ES-125 until I spotted the headstock and looked closer. 
    Call me Dave.
    Thanks @DB1 it's the cheapest acoustic Loar LH300, I put the P90 in it and found some old Bakelite knobs and a very nice tortoiseshell scratchplate. It's fantastic to play, with a great big v-neck on it. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    edited November 2018
    p90fool said:
    Thanks @DB1 it's the cheapest acoustic Loar LH300, I put the P90 in it and found some old Bakelite knobs and a very nice tortoiseshell scratchplate. It's fantastic to play, with a great big v-neck on it. 
    Sounds very similar to the Gretsch New Yorker I modded.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^ Nice!
  • PinstripePhilPinstripePhil Frets: 98
    edited November 2018
    DB1 said:
    I use any old P90 gibson with a Jr BarnYard and Quilter amp. Reverb to taste. 1 
    Why did you choose the Quilter amp (and which model), may I ask? I know that Tommy H uses one, but just wondering what it offers for 'that' sound?

As a low cost alternative to a Gibson P90 guitar, I'd also suggest the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. It's surprisingly close to my 1955 ES-125 in tone and feel. 
    With the JrBarnYard it is THAT sound.  No idea why, but it works.  I have the MicroPro Mach2 HD.  Light as a feather and plenty of beans.  Most guitars will have the sound with those two bits of gear, but a P90 guitar will kill.   1   :-)
  • I've bitten the bullet nocturne EL  PESCADORO ordered. Will report back in a few weeks hopefully. I completely blame this site & thread for such expenditure. 
  • Yes, it's all our fault, I accept full responsibility as the OP....looking forwrd to your review :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    I've bitten the bullet nocturne EL  PESCADORO ordered. Will report back in a few weeks hopefully. I completely blame this site & thread for such expenditure. 
    You know it makes sense ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Horror of horrors - this thread upset me so much that I just went to order a Jr Barnyard and.......

they've sold out.   :'(   I've emailed Tavo and suggested that I'm not complete without one.

Edit: my wife's just walked past and pointed out that I AM complete. A complete ****. Harsh, but more than fair. 

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1 said:
    Horror of horrors - this thread upset me so much that I just went to order a Jr Barnyard and.......

they've sold out.   :'(   I've emailed Tavo and suggested that I'm not complete without one.

Edit: my wife's just walked past and pointed out that I AM complete. A complete ****. Harsh, but more than fair. 

Gutted for you! Surely he’ll be doing more?!?
    Got to be, surely, or else I shall haunt, eBay, Reverb, Google etc for one. And you, obvs.   =)
    Call me Dave.
  • Mine is going nowhere!! I actually went on to buy an Umbangi Stomp a few days ago and he’s sold out of those too. Not that I really needed one, I do want a clean boost after my reverb tank to give the amp a little push without driving the reverb but I have plenty of pedals that will do that but they don’t have quite as cool graphics 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    His new reverb pedal is a duel pedal and has the JR Barnyard on one side and the reverb which he says is a Chess Records style room reverb and not a 60s spring.

I'm trying to find measurements on his pedals as think a new board with that, the mystery brain and a tuner is all I would need.
  • I was thinking about the jr Barnyard then the out of stock message forced my hand. I have high hopes for the pescadoro even though I don't usually like reverb:)
    AlexO said:
    His new reverb pedal is a duel pedal and has the JR Barnyard on one side and the reverb which he says is a Chess Records style room reverb and not a 60s spring.

I'm trying to find measurements on his pedals as think a new board with that, the mystery brain and a tuner is all I would need.
    Ah, so the Pescadoro is the Jr Barnyard plus reverb? The JB is now back in stock - Tavo very quickly replied to my email, bless him. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Yes the pescadoro is jr barnyard on one side and a plate reverb / room ambient type reverb on the other.