The Jump/Swing Blues Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    @edenfield99 ; - nice work sir, thanks!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's try and keep this conversation going...what gear are people using to play this music? My main gear is

Guitars - '64 Epiphone Sorrento, '78 Ibanez 2635 or Gretsch Jet

Amps - Vintage47 Mighty Mini or Vintage47 Ric

Effects - Nocturne Jr Barnyard, JHS Milkman, Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale (amongst other options for the basics of pre-amp/boost, delay, reverb and tremolo). This will change shortly though as I've bought the Vintage47 tube reverb so once that's delivered I'll make some changes.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2018
    FWIW (i.e. not all that much) I get sounds that satisfy me (unlike my playing, but that wasn't the question) from the following:

Guitars - I'm not sure this is really so important, given the wide variety of both well-known and highly obscure instruments used by the original artists. I use an Aria jazzbox modified with Oil City HB-sized P90s, and a '79 Strat with an Oil City Tele bridge pickup, either on the bridge or neck and bridge positions

Amps - I only have a Tweed Champ clone which has a very good base tone for this kind of stuff but slightly too much bass for my liking

Effects - the Champ doesn't seem to like very many drive pedals but gets along well with a Formula no. 5 clone. I usually keep the drive very low, and also roll down the guitar volume. I find tremolo works well for this type of music, and use a Catalinbread Pareidolia harmonic trem. Finally, I have TC delay that I sometimes use, set to a slapback tape echo, and a Mooer Yellow Comp that I may use when not using the drive.  

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5029
    edited October 2018
    Amps - I have a Blues Jr and a Carr Sportsman. The V47 Mighty Mini needs attention, so I can't really count that. The 'swing' side - the 1938 ES-150 and the 1948 ES-300. The 'jump' stuff - an ES-295 reissue, an ES-5 Switchmaster reissue, the 1968 ES-330, and the 1955 ES-125 are the ones really. I manage to make all of them sound terrible, too! I just use a bit of reverb.

I fancy a Jr Barnyard, and either a bigger V47 amp, or the Nocturne Moonshine '39 or the Elektra, which looks great. I have to find a bit of room (and cash) first, though....
    Call me Dave.
  • I think I could do with a bigger V47 amp (the twin supreme) and keep nearly pulling the trigger on one but I need some proper gigs, more money and more room before I can justify it. Anyway if I needed a bigger amp for a bigger gig I have the Barnyard and a Louis Electric Buster which together would give me the sound anyway...I need help, I just want more stuff! 
    I'd love to hear the Jr Barnyard in action, I must admit. It might negate the 'need' for V47 (probably the Gibson 185 clone)
    Call me Dave.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Use my relic'd parts Tele, with a Mojo pickup set and/or Gretsch New Yorker with DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 pickup on a stick

Fender Pro Junior - much better than a Blues Junior. Can do cleans and is insanely loud. Much more "Fendery" than the BJ.

For Gypsy stuff I use the AER60 amp with the Gretsch or my maccaferri style acoustic with a Peche a la Mouche pickup.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited November 2018
    sorry to be very thick and somewhat behind the times* (but perhaps on a jump blues thread this is just about permitted) - but how does Spotify work? Is it a paid service? 

*I readily admit this is worth a LOL or two

• NPP said:
    sorry to be very thick and somewhat behind the times* (but perhaps on a jump blues thread this is just about permitted) - but how does Spotify work? Is it a paid service? 

Yes, you have to pay (there used to be a free option but I don't know whether that's still available). It's £9.99 a month for unlimited access, not that expensive when you think about it.
    thanks for the quick response! I try to avoid subscriptions where possible but I'll have a look through the playlist and may buy a CD or two.

• I am thinking about taking the plunge on a jr Barnyard. 

I usually use a fender d'aquisto for this sort of playing. But I've recently been using my coodercaster teisco goldfoil neck pickup to great effect. 
  • Duke Robillard as mentioned already, one of the keepers of the style, this is a good representation of him doing this really well 

It's worth mentioning that Chris Corcoran runs courses/workshops plus opportunities at Rimshot studios down in Kent to record a track with his band :-) (a friend of mine did this recently)

• I would listen to a lot more of this stuff but I'm logged on with a laptop and its speakers are crap, they can't reproduce anything with a lower fundamental than a guitar's G string. Neither have I found an audio out socket on the back or sides, otherwise I'd try connecting it to my stereo system :(

Why is audio on modern technology such utter shite?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14653
    tFB Trader
    Just heard the new Take That single - very influenced by the swing and jump styles of the early 50's - Hard for me to admit that I like any Take That song but this has  a good up temp energy about it
    NPP said:

Yes, you have to pay (there used to be a free option but I don't know whether that's still available). It's £9.99 a month for unlimited access, not that expensive when you think about it.

having taken some more time to investigate I found there is indeed a free option, and I'm currently enjoying one of your playlists @edenfield99 . Things did get off to a good start indeed with Big Joe Turner!

• I use any old P90 gibson with a Jr BarnYard and Quilter amp. Reverb to taste. :+1: 
  • BTW, do watch this:
    https://youtu.be/2_6uwMIoG6g
    And this:
    https://youtu.be/R_qlXRXr5yA
    Solid gold jump blues info right there. Now go seek out those players tunes. I first did that 10+ years ago and I Have still barely scratched the surface of it all. Best journey ever. :-)
    I use any old P90 gibson with a Jr BarnYard and Quilter amp. Reverb to taste. :+1: 
    Why did you choose the Quilter amp (and which model), may I ask? I know that Tommy H uses one, but just wondering what it offers for 'that' sound?

As a low cost alternative to a Gibson P90 guitar, I'd also suggest the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. It's surprisingly close to my 1955 ES-125 in tone and feel. 
    Call me Dave.