Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

JXG Les Paul - removed for breaking the “No Fakes” rule

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8740
edited November 2018 in Guitars £
The FS thread for a JXG Aged 57 Les Paul Jr has been removed because it breaks the “No Fakes” rule. For more details please read this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120189/no-fakes

I have left the comments here because people had already begun to discuss the treatment of fakes on the forum. Just for clarity, once we believe a guitar to be a “fake” the advert is removed. Re-advertising the same guitar without the logo showing is not allowed because it’s status has already been established. At least one member has been banned for doing this.

@dallcorp’s case is unfortunate. We rely on members flagging suspect threads. I read every For Sale thread. I also have a life, and it might be 24 hours before I read it. Even then my knowledge is limited, and I rely on more experienced members to spot issues. The guitar @dallcorp ;bought was only advertised for a couple of hours before being flagged and removed. Unfortunately he had already made contact with the seller in that short interval. 
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 19791979 Frets: 87
    What a beauty that is 
  • Holy crap....Do I want, but no money!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    A desirable beast indeed.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:

I hear you and you are right of course but if we stuck rigidly to that rule we wouldn't get to see that beauty !  That really does look the business
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    That particular forum rule does permit the sale of this guitar (in the classifieds).
    What it does not permit is at least one of the linked photographs.
    Or any reference to what is revealed in at least one of the photographs.

In another recent thread it became clear that at least 3 forum members (including me) had made an assumption about the forum rule. The assumption that fakes are not allowed.
    But careful reading of the forum  rule explains why that other sale thread was allowed to run. Even if one or two of us here were stunned as the penny dropped.

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Them's the rules indeed

Just as well my DC Junior (one of Graham's bodies painted by our own @SteveRobinson) bought here (Pre Rules Watershed) is a wonderful piece and is going nowhere!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Wang a piece of tape over the decal if it becomes an issue?
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Skipped said:
    That particular forum rule does permit the sale of this guitar (in the classifieds).
    What it does not permit is at least one of the linked photographs.
    Or any reference to what is revealed in at least one of the photographs.

In another recent thread it became clear that at least 3 forum members (including me) had made an assumption about the forum rule. The assumption that fakes are not allowed.
    But careful reading of the forum  rule explains why that other sale thread was allowed to run. Even if one or two of us here were stunned as the penny dropped.

This particular thread falls foul of the rule due to the linked photos, so the ad is not permitted IMHO.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Aha, genuinely lovely guitar this one. I had it before @Allo and @Miserneil was the original owner.
  • Very tempted, lovely guitar.
    How does it compare in feel to the real thing? 
  • So basically the rules say that if you can’t see a logo, it’s fine... lovely guitar by the way 
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Lovely guitar 87' GLWTS
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    edited November 2018
    My recent ad for an Alan Knight partscaster was removed under this rule despite my pictures deliberately not showing any logos.........what annoyed me was the guitar had previously been advertised and sold to me on this very forum!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited November 2018
    That's a shame, and I feel sorry for the OP, who clearly needed the funds, and embarrassed and disappointed at some forum members attitudes. It was a beautiful guitar, and I always assumed coming to this forum that JXG was a highly respected builder?.

I nearly bought it at 11:30 last night, as I was online right at the moment the sales post was created, but decided to hold back and have a think, which is unusual for me. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I spent £1400 on a guitar only to find out I'd been lumbered with something I couldn't flip if I needed to.

So what is the proper way in which a clone build like that can be sold then?. I ask because I'm a fan of LPJ's, and there are quite a few respected LPJ builders on the forum, so how exactly should the etiquette work then?. Or does it simply come down to the trademark and legality issue in this particular case?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8740
    MikeS said:
    ... What is the proper way in which a clone build like that can be sold then?. 
    It is permissible to sell a partscaster as parts. You can even sell the neck and body as separate items in the same thread, just not as an assembled guitar with a manufacturer’s logo. You might think that curious, but that’s the legal advice we’ve been given.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Good modding that.

I shall put you in charge of my final journey, it'll be just the one car the way things are going.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    edited November 2018
    photek said:
    Aha, genuinely lovely guitar this one. I had it before @Allo and @Miserneil was the original owner.
    Hang on, so this guitar has been bought and sold a couple of times through the forum but because one person has flagged this then it can’t be sold again? Am I missing something here? Because right now it looks to me like if your one of the regulars then it’s fine, if your not and some do gooder  decided he is against it then it’s not. It looks to me from that post that at least 3 forum members have owned it previously,  feel sorry for the OP. Surely the right thing to do would be message him directly, advise what needs to change and then move on? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7819
    MikeS said:
    It was a beautiful guitar, and I always assumed coming to this forum that JXG was a highly respected builder?.

Was . . . http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/70074/anyone-in-touch-with-jxg/p1

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    photek said:
    Hang on, so this guitar has been bought and sold a couple of times through the forum but because one person has flagged this then it can’t be sold again? Am I missing something here? Because right now it looks to me like if your one of the regulars then it’s fine, if your not and some do gooder  decided he is against it then it’s not. It looks to me from that post that at least 3 forum members have owned it previously,  feel sorry for the OP. Surely the right thing to do would be message him directly, advise what needs to change and then move on? 
    FWIW, I sold it privately to a forum member, I never advertised it on here.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
This discussion has been closed.