Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

JXG Les Paul - removed for breaking the “No Fakes” rule

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    mikeyrob73 said:

Hang on, so this guitar has been bought and sold a couple of times through the forum but because one person has flagged this then it can’t be sold again? 
    Not quite. Flagging isn’t sufficient. It needs to be confirmed. Once this happens it can’t be advertised as a guitar.

mikeyrob73 said:

... right now it looks to me like if your one of the regulars then it’s fine, if your not and some do gooder  decided he is against it then it’s not. 
    Categorically there is no favouritism. Statistically the problem occurs more frequently with new members because they are less likely to have read the rules. I can’t say whether or not people are more likely to flag threads from members who they don’t know. Either way, a flagged thread goes once illegality is confirmed.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26682
    edited November 2018
    photek said:
    Aha, genuinely lovely guitar this one. I had it before @Allo and @Miserneil was the original owner.
    Hang on, so this guitar has been bought and sold a couple of times through the forum but because one person has flagged this then it can’t be sold again? Am I missing something here? Because right now it looks to me like if your one of the regulars then it’s fine, if your not and some do gooder  decided he is against it then it’s not. It looks to me from that post that at least 3 forum members have owned it previously,  feel sorry for the OP. Surely the right thing to do would be message him directly, advise what needs to change and then move on? 
    #1 - If we don't know about it, we can't do anything. That's why we rely on flagged posts, and why we missed it the first couple of times.

#2 - It's nothing to do with whether someone's a regular or not. I'm the one who's personally liable for any counterfeit trades (as defined by UK law), and I'm not going to take the risk of being made bankrupt for anybody on this site, regular or not. @Roland does a great job of handling most of that for us, and it's greatly appreciated.

#3 - We rely on those "do gooders" in order to keep this site going legally. Can I assume that you're not that bothered whether this site exists or not?
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Of course I am, and thank you for correcting me on the points I made @digitalscream ;

i shall now stand in the corner with my head hung 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, that got a genuine "LOL". I've had a rough day, so...thanks :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited November 2018
    photek said:
    Aha, genuinely lovely guitar this one. I had it before @Allo and @Miserneil was the original owner.
    Hang on, so this guitar has been bought and sold a couple of times through the forum but because one person has flagged this then it can’t be sold again? Am I missing something here? Because right now it looks to me like if your one of the regulars then it’s fine, if your not and some do gooder  decided he is against it then it’s not. It looks to me from that post that at least 3 forum members have owned it previously,  feel sorry for the OP. Surely the right thing to do would be message him directly, advise what needs to change and then move on? 
    Nope I did my research before selling it, read the rules and contacted the admins to confirm I wasn’t breaking any.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I still stand by my comments that the folk who made an issue of this could have dmed the OP and advised what the issue was so he could have sorted it, instead of just being a wee baby and going running to teacher. 

Maybe I just thought we were a wee bit friendlier than we came across there. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    photek said:
    photek said:
    Nope I did my research before selling it, read the rules and contacted the admins to confirm I wasn’t breaking any.
    I would have thought that the advice you would have received from the admins would have been that selling it on here is against the rules? How did you manage to comply?

• Jimihendrix1987Jimihendrix1987 Frets: 225
    edited November 2018
    My apologies to the admin and moderators. I bought the guitar from this exact forum and although I was not meant to post the picture with the G logo on it, I forgot it in the exact moment I was posting it. Always rushing, unfortunately. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited November 2018
    Gagaryn said:
    photek said:
    photek said:
    I would have thought that the advice you would have received from the admins would have been that selling it on here is against the rules? How did you manage to comply?

The issue is the G Word on the headstock. If you make no reference and show no pictures then the cat isn’t out of the bag and as far as the forum is concerned it is just a Jr shaped guitar with no rules broken.

There are shops that sell Replica guitars with the logos on the Head stocks, they are just subtle with how they advertise and photograph them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I still stand by my comments that the folk who made an issue of this could have dmed the OP and advised what the issue was so he could have sorted it, instead of just being a wee baby and going running to teacher. 

Maybe I just thought we were a wee bit friendlier than we came across there. 
    I posted what I did as the classified rules are clear. I enjoy this site and people should respect the counterfeit laws that could cause problems for it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    edited November 2018
    @twinfan did you also have the decency to dm the OP and advise what he may have done wrong? Would that have been too difficult seeing as you were already on here and typing

“ excuse me mate, you can see the headstock on that pic, best shift it as it’s against the rules” 

i have helped plenty folk on here, uploading pics, advising that they may need a price On a listing, small things like that ya know, just generally being a nice human being. Instead of “ that’s fake, not allowed” how about advise him why it’s not allowed, or what he would need to do to make it allowed. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    Genuine question.... Can it be re-advertised without the offending picture?
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Hmmmmmm...........my ad did not show or reference a headstock logo........yet was still removed. The moderator informed me that they had looked at the previous vendor's ad on this forum (whom I had purchased it from) and were removing my ad because they assumed the headstock was unchanged.
    This appears to be a more aggressive application of the rules? Especially given that Photek and others appear to have been allowed to advertise as long as they don't show or reference logos?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @twinfan did you also have the decency to dm the OP and advise what he may have done wrong? Would that have been too difficult seeing as you were already on here and typing

“ excuse me mate, you can see the headstock on that pic, best shift it as it’s against the rules” 

i have helped plenty folk on here, uploading pics, advising that they may need a price On a listing, small things like that ya know, just generally being a nice human being. Instead of “ that’s fake, not allowed” how about advise him why it’s not allowed, or what he would need to do to make it allowed. 

No, I didn't message the OP. Why would I want to help someone sell a fake?
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    tone1 said:
    No.

Roland said:
    Re-advertising the same guitar without the logo showing is not allowed because it’s status has already been established. At least one member has been banned for doing this.

edited November 2018
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    Twinfan said:
    tone1 said:
    No.

Roland said:
    Re-advertising the same guitar without the logo showing is not allowed because it’s status has already been established. At least one member has been banned for doing this.

How about a clip on tuner obscuring the logo?   :)  
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    edited November 2018
    *edited as I was a bit out of order  

it was advertised as what it was as far as I can see. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739

Our advice is very clear: flag if you think there’s a problem. Moderators will then deal with it. This avoids acrimonious PM disputes about who is right or wrong. It avoids people posting criticism within the For Sale thread. Most importantly it allows us to protect the forum, and @digitalscream personally, from legal action. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    Nice, thanks for that mikeyrob73.

The guitar is a fake and the rules for (not) selling them on here are clear.

EDIT: Cross posted with Roland, who is of course spot on. Apologies for posting  in the thread.
This discussion has been closed.