...but baby it's cold outside !

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    If it's such a bad song, why have people kept on singing it for the last seventy-odd years?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24314
    Here we go again...  the hostility because I’m expressing an opinion that doesn’t fit everyone else’s.  Can’t we have a discussion about anything remotely controversial or topical without everyone (well, a majority anyway) running for their bloody pitchforks ?

It’s only a song for fuck’s sake!  

Jesus.  There is a sizeable segment of this place that comes across as little more than an angry mob of yokels when their world view is queried.  It’s just a discussion about song lyrics!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Here we go again...  the hostility because I’m expressing an opinion that doesn’t fit everyone else’s.  Can’t we have a discussion about anything remotely controversial or topical without everyone (well, a majority anyway) running for their bloody pitchforks ?
    It's not because your opinion doesn't fit everyone else's, it's that your opinion here is either seriously uninformed or just plain wrong, depending on whether you read anything about the original context of the song beforehand.

And in this case is very typical of the sort of ill-informed knee-jerk desperation to take offence that you so often - usually rightly - criticise others for...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/144745/why-are-so-many-people-desperate-to-take-offence

No offence intended .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    KILL HIM!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Emp_Fab said:

Which is precisely the point that most people are making.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Well as they say you started it, LOL
    I think its fine you express yourself here but when a whole load of others cry what a load of crap they are not an angry mob they are just a consensus, who find  it hard to believe a song from 1940's that is as much playing with cultural themes of good girl slightly naughty girl who has the 2nd martini when a good girl would of gone home.  Has nothing to do with #MeToo movement.

The fact that you find it rapey means you have stopped thinking for yourself about what is right or wrong and gone for the sort of media-driven feminist emasculation brainwashing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • I think society has moved on since it was written.  It doesn't need banning; it will just wither away like minstrel shows etc.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    It's all in the delivery, isn't it?

You could certainly make a very rapey version.  Or you could make a very knowing, coquettish, flirty version (e.g. Tom and Cerys).  Funnily all the ones I've heard fall into the latter category.  In order to make it rapey you have to remove the recording context and just read it "cold", and also already have a certain set of presuppositions.

However, if it has you bothered, don't ever listen to "Little Red Riding Hood" (Sam Sham and the Pharohs/999) because that's just out and out predatory masculinity. As for "Pretty Tied Up" by GnR ...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Emp_Fab said:

Jesus.  There is a sizeable segment of this place that comes across as little more than an angry mob of yokels when their world view is queried.  It’s just a discussion about song lyrics!

Get over yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

I think you need to learn to distinguish between personal hostility (of which there has been none in this thread, as far as I can tell) and hostility towards your opinion (which there's plenty of, because many - including myself - see it as representative of the root cause of much that's wrong with the world). It's perfectly possible to hold the latter without the former (which you yourself have done many, many times on here).

Don't play the victim just because you've discovered your opinion to be unpopular, dude
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2018
    This is rubbish. I told my missus it was cold out side and shoved out the door and locked it. I didn't need to write a song about it.

POS

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    So if I understand this correctly then Tom Jones should be up on a rape charge and every work of fiction should be, er, well, ok lets just ban everything just in case.
    B-b-but 'banning' is such a harsh word that people might judge me on so lets just say I am not banning it outright, just on every platform I have control over which is deffo not the same thing - deffo.

This is because I believe that all relations between the sexes are intrinsically misoginist because of exhibit A: the patriarchy and because ALL men are potential rapists. Also people work on a level of monkey-see-monkey-do so we should only see what we want monkey to do. And when I say we I mean I should decide what is  acceptable after I have ...er....seen it.

Alternatively, having to see people spout this kind of bollocks is a small price to pay for living in an open society and we should be free to say in reply, come back when you have a coherent argument because at the moment all you have is an opinion.

P.S. The real problem with the song is that it fails to stand up to slut-shaming :)
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3009
    And more from the Ridiculous Reasoning For A Ban List

Good King Wenceslas - why is it that only male saints should be viewed as capable of providing a feast?

O Tannenbaum - encourages the genocide of conifer trees all over the world

Rockin Around The Christmas Tree - As above, plus people rocking around anything can cause slips, trips and falls

Driving Home For Christmas - encourages day-dreaming when there's a need to control what is basically a bomb on wheels

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - puts huge financial pressure on struggling parents all over the world

Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer - encourages travelling in severe weather conditions with inadequate illumination

Away In A Manger - encourages child neglect. It is not acceptable to lay a baby's head on straw containing allergens and potential parasites that could cause conjunctivitis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    I always preferred the B-side, "Baby, it's hot in here, get your knickers off".
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Freebird said:
    I always preferred the B-side, "Baby, it's hot in here, get your knickers off".
    ‘Give over, Love, I’m suppin’ an ale’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Kilgore said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Which is precisely the point that most people are making.
    Just Bore Off
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    and as for the promotion of domestic abuse in Fairytale of New York ........................

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    Shrews said:

Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer - encourages travelling in severe weather conditions with inadequate illumination
    I’ve always thought it’s a song that excuses bullying.

The other reindeer laugh at Rudolph, call him names and won’t let him play with them - typical nasty child behaviour towards someone a bit different. It’s only because his differentness then makes him Santa’s favourite that they accept him - they’re never taught that their bullying was wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28230
    Let's hope Emp never hears The Bad Touch. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I don't really listen to lyrics much at all. I rather like the song but I had no clue of the content. It is in my fave Xmas film - Elf, with the gorgeous Zooey Deschanel so I have no plans to ban that.