...but baby it's cold outside !

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24311
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Here we go again...  the hostility because I’m expressing an opinion that doesn’t fit everyone else’s.  Can’t we have a discussion about anything remotely controversial or topical without everyone (well, a majority anyway) running for their bloody pitchforks ?
    It's not because your opinion doesn't fit everyone else's, it's that your opinion here is either seriously uninformed or just plain wrong, depending on whether you read anything about the original context of the song beforehand.
    An opinion cannot be "wrong" - you can't just pigeonhole people into 'correct' and 'incorrect' !!  I

digitalscream said:
    I think you need to learn to distinguish between personal hostility (of which there has been none in this thread, as far as I can tell) and hostility towards your opinion (which there's plenty of, because many - including myself - see it as representative of the root cause of much that's wrong with the world). It's perfectly possible to hold the latter without the former (which you yourself have done many, many times on here).

Don't play the victim just because you've discovered your opinion to be unpopular, dude
    I disagree.  Tell me these posts are completely playing the argument and not the man....

>I'm starting to think you've never flirted with a woman before 
    >the fact you take that line to suggest he's going to get her legless and rape her says more about you
    >you need to get out a lot more and stop being so damn petty-minded.
    >get a life

...and I'm not playing the victim at all - I'm just frustrated that, for some, it seems very difficult to separate the argument from the arguer.  I suppose that's my failing really - expecting everyone to be as dispassionately analytical of the issue as I am.  I wonder if I'm on the spectrum a bit ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996

‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’: The real story of the song

The Palm Beach Post in Florida ran a great piece on the origin of the seasonal classic, and an interview with John Loesser.

From the article by Scott Eyman: 
    As headline writers around the country compete to come up with variations on Baby, It’s Cold Outside, the crusading journalists at the Palm Beach Post want you to know the truth about the song, not to mention the phrase.

Like everything else in the world, it’s got a tangential South Florida connection. But it has little to do with this week’s blast of arctic air, or even the holiday season.

John Loesser as a boy with his Hollywood father, Frank Loesser.

“My father wrote that song as a piece of special material for he and my mother to do at parties,” says John Loesser, who runs the Lyric Theatre in Stuart, and is the son of legendary composer Frank Loesser (Guys and Dolls, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.)

Frank Loesser’s wife, Lynn, was a nightclub singer who had moved from Terre Haute, Ind. to New York in search of a career. She was singing in a nightclub when she met Frank Loesser around 1930.

The song itself was written in 1944, when Loesser and his wife had just moved into the Hotel Navarro in New York. They gave a housewarming party for themselves and when they did the number, everybody went crazy.

“We had to do it over and over again,” Lynn Loesser told her kids, “and we became instant parlor room stars.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Here we go again...  the hostility because I’m expressing an opinion that doesn’t fit everyone else’s.  Can’t we have a discussion about anything remotely controversial or topical without everyone (well, a majority anyway) running for their bloody pitchforks ?
    It's not because your opinion doesn't fit everyone else's, it's that your opinion here is either seriously uninformed or just plain wrong, depending on whether you read anything about the original context of the song beforehand.
    An opinion cannot be "wrong" - you can't just pigeonhole people into 'correct' and 'incorrect' !!  I
    Funny, that - you've argued exactly the opposite in many threads. Flat earth, anyone?
    Emp_Fab said:
    digitalscream said:
    I think you need to learn to distinguish between personal hostility (of which there has been none in this thread, as far as I can tell) and hostility towards your opinion (which there's plenty of, because many - including myself - see it as representative of the root cause of much that's wrong with the world). It's perfectly possible to hold the latter without the former (which you yourself have done many, many times on here).

Don't play the victim just because you've discovered your opinion to be unpopular, dude
    I disagree.  Tell me these posts are completely playing the argument and not the man....

>I'm starting to think you've never flirted with a woman before 
    >the fact you take that line to suggest he's going to get her legless and rape her says more about you
    >you need to get out a lot more and stop being so damn petty-minded.
    >get a life

...and I'm not playing the victim at all - I'm just frustrated that, for some, it seems very difficult to separate the argument from the arguer.  I suppose that's my failing really - expecting everyone to be as dispassionately analytical of the issue as I am.  I wonder if I'm on the spectrum a bit ?
    They don't seem like hostility (at least not in the context of a forum). Seem to be more along the lines of the difference between "You're being idiotic" and "You're an idiot".

The thing is, you're arguing from two incompatible standpoints here. First off you say that opinions (specifically yours) can't be wrong, and then you say that this should be dispassionately analytical. The latter requires facts, whereas the former requires just saying stuff repeatedly in the face of facts.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24311
    >Funny, that - you've argued exactly the opposite in many threads. Flat earth, anyone?
    Oh come on...  he was trolling.  Nobody seriously thought he really believed that did they ?!!

>
    Seem to be more along the lines of the difference between "You're being idiotic" and "You're an idiot".
    I don't see any difference.  In order to be idiotic, you need to be an idiot.  It's the presence or absence of the pronoun you that makes a difference.

>T
    he thing is, you're arguing from two incompatible standpoints here. First off you say that opinions (specifically yours) can't be wrong, and then you say that this should be dispassionately analytical. The latter requires facts, whereas the former requires just saying stuff repeatedly in the face of facts.
    Now steady on..... I'm still hungover.  I'll need more coffee before I can wrap my brain around that !  However, my initial reaction to that is - you're taking that out of context and then committing a logical fallacy with it.  Opinions can be wrong in the context where the opinion is a (dis)provable statement - e.g. "The world is flat".  Opinions on the interpretation of something cannot be wrong.  In this specific example, my opinion is that the lyrics do sound rapey.  ICBM argued that my opinion was wrong.  Who can say which opinion is right and which is wrong ?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    >Funny, that - you've argued exactly the opposite in many threads. Flat earth, anyone?
    Oh come on...  he was trolling.  Nobody seriously thought he really believed that did they ?!!
    Actually, he did. However, just hypothetically shift your perspective to consider the fact that your posts may appear to others to be trolling in a similar (although slightly less whackadoodle) manner...
    Emp_Fab said:

>Seem to be more along the lines of the difference between "You're being idiotic" and "You're an idiot".
    I don't see any difference.  In order to be idiotic, you need to be an idiot.  It's the presence or absence of the pronoun you that makes a difference.

Not at all. Smart people can say and do stupid things - doesn't make them stupid, just makes them astonishingly wrong in that instance.
    Emp_Fab said:

>The thing is, you're arguing from two incompatible standpoints here. First off you say that opinions (specifically yours) can't be wrong, and then you say that this should be dispassionately analytical. The latter requires facts, whereas the former requires just saying stuff repeatedly in the face of facts.
    Now steady on..... I'm still hungover.  I'll need more coffee before I can wrap my brain around that !  However, my initial reaction to that is - you're taking that out of context and then committing a logical fallacy with it.  Opinions can be wrong in the context where the opinion is a (dis)provable statement - e.g. "The world is flat".  Opinions on the interpretation of something cannot be wrong.  In this specific example, my opinion is that the lyrics do sound rapey.  ICBM argued that my opinion was wrong.  Who can say which opinion is right and which is wrong ?

Taking something out of context is exactly what you're doing with this entire thread! You're taking a song, removing the societal context from it, then deliberately (and knowingly) removing the original intent of the writer and substituting your own. What could that be construed as other than (at a minimum) "taking that out of context"?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Emp_Fab said:

>Seem to be more along the lines of the difference between "You're being idiotic" and "You're an idiot".

Not at all. Smart people can say and do stupid things - doesn't make them stupid, just makes them astonishingly wrong in that instance.
    Exactly.

@Emp_Fab - I suggest you read this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_People_Believe_Weird_Things
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    @Snags - top work for getting the word "coquettish" into modern parlance!  
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5373
    @MrBump I remain, as always, on the cutting edge of linguistic development
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16098
    Linguistic Development .......retro renaissance linguistic development in a rather charming and quaint way....I applaud it.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Man, @Emp_Fab would have a field day with Otis Redding.

'm gonna wait 'till the midnight hour
    That's when my love come tumbling down
    I'm gonna wait 'till the midnight hour
    When there' no one else around
    I'm gonna take you, girl, and hold you
    And do all things I told you, in the midnight hour

Run, lady!  Run and don’t look back!

Parental abuse?

Tie your mother down
    Tie your mother down
    Lock your daddy out of doors
    I don't need him nosin' around
    Tie your mother down
    Tie your mother down
    Give me all your love tonight

Mark de Manbey

... or some Yardbirds..?

Good morning, little schoolgirl.
    Can I go home with you?
    Won't you let me go home with you,
    So I can hug, hug, squeeze, squeeze?
    If you let me I can tease you baby.
    Hey, hey hey hey. Hey hey hey hey. Hey, yeah.

Mark de Manbey

... perhaps it's not best to gaze on the past through the lens of today?
    Mark de Manbey

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    On the subject of potentialy awkward lyrics, may I remind you of GnR's masterpiece that is 'Used to love her'.........

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    The blues song covered by Eric Clapton:

"Good morning, little schoolgirl.
    Can I go home with you?
    Let's dance, little schoolgirl.
    Let's dance, little schoolgirl.

Won't you let me take you to the hop, hop,
    Have a party at the soda shop
    So we can do the twist, do the stroll
    To the music of the rock 'n' roll.

Can I go home with you?

Can I go home with you?
    Won't you let me go home with you?
    Tell your mama and your papa that I love you.
    Tell your sisters and your brother that I love you.
    Hey, hey hey hey. Hey, hey hey hey.
    Hey, hey hey hey. Hey, hey hey hey."
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5373
    Everything Zodiac Mindwarp wrote, ever?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_Dave said:
    FFS. My take-away from that was the last bit - that somebody actually got paid, as part of their tenure as a professor, to write a paper on the racism of Jingle Bells.
    <space for hire>
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    The much loved Maggie May could be in trouble, seducing young boys and all that,

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you

It's late September and I really should be back at school
    I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
    Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
    You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
    You stole my heart and that's what really hurt

The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age..........

And there might be a knock on Sting's door too

Young teacher, the subject
    Of schoolgirl fantasy

Temptation, frustration,
    So bad it makes him cry

Erm....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Ban music and burn guitars .. that's where we're headed. Well done @Emp_Fab

I've just sent the synopsis for a new Doctor Who story called the 'Day the music died' in which the Doctor wipes people's memory of offensive tunes so the planet can live happily ever after. Mr Chibnut loves it ...

:-) :-) ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!