Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your year in gear, 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2659
    edited December 2018
    I had an incredible amount of overtime this year. The fatigue from the extra work affected my judgement so I converted most of the money into gear. Highlights:

Guitars:
    Fret King Ventura

MIM standard Telecaster

Greco Thinline Telecaster (thought this was last year, but no... plays and sounds wonderful - I'm interested to know what the pickups are - they look like WRHBs, but how authentic they'll be is doubtful. Good, though, and surprisingly jazzy.)

The Blingcaster (a partscaster with a MIM neck and a body that had been sprayed gold. Since then I've replaced everything except the neck - Wilkinson bridge, @Alegree pickups and only yesterday I fitted a Fender body I bought on here. Bling no more, though. I had meant to save up for a fancier strat, but I'm realising I really don't need to as this is almost perfect for my needs).  

A guitar made out of a Guitarbuild tele deluxe-style body, @GSPBASSES  neck and @Alegree  filtertron-style pickups, which Jonathan @FelineGuitars put together for me and is very fine. I didn't really plan for it to happen - I just got the pickups on a whim and then assembled the parts around it - but I'm very glad it did. 

Roadworn Jazzmaster - very lovely thing, which I wasn't playing as much as I thought I would, but it appears my wife has fallen in love with it, so all's well that ends well. 

I also upgraded the pickups in an Epiphone Dot, which improved it enormously. 

Amps:
    Roland JC40
    Fender Greta (bought at the same time as the JC40, almost as an afterthought, but it's perfect for the living room)
    Laney IRT-X FRFR 

FX
    Atomic Amplifire
    Helix LT

I have the 
    Helix plumbed in to the computer for recording and take the Amplifire out for gigging - the IRT-X is for those times when I need personal monitoring. In fact I think my needs might just as well be served by a Tech21 FlyRig of some kind, which would be a little less bulky than the Amplifire, but I'll just hold that thought. 

At the beginning of the year I was playing out (open mics, etc) on my Ovation nylon string, but now I've switched completely to electrics - mostly the strat sometimes the unnamed Filtertron guitar or a tele of some kind. 

For the future, there's another unplanned guitar coming in - @lamf68 is in the process of spraying a body for some more whim-bought @Alegree pickups - two WRHB-style pickups with a strat pickup in the middle, mostly because I'm curious about what it would sound like - and there's an old Fernandes neck waiting to be fitted. 

I'd like to try more things from FB-associated providers - I have a vague notion of having a pro-level strat made sourced from local makers, but it is just a vague notion at the moment. I've also a few old guitars from a while ago I'd like brought back to life (for example a pink Epiphone Flying V, which would be such an undignified thing for a chap in his mid fifties to be playing that I really need to try). 

On the whole, though, while I do think I'd like better versions of what I've got, there are no obvious holes in my accumulation of guitars, and the quality is now generally so high that any remaining problems are not the guitars' fault, and are entirely down to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In: Les Lius (fantastic), Barber Gain Changer, MXR Univibe, EHX Holy Grail, Tubescreamer Mini. All cheap.

Out: Flint, Carl Martin AC-Tone, Wampler Ace Thirty, a few others. 

A year of frugality! 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited December 2018
    rawk100 said:
    In - a set of strings

Out - nowt

Bloody useless, must do better in 2019!
    This man deserves a spell in the cooler lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited December 2018

Ugh

Y'know, I actually found a similar issue with my Decatone - it was nowhere near as loud as my JCA50H even after a revalve. No mods at all, it was just...odd.

That is strange actually.

This one was partly botched footswitch connection, and a mod of the SRV mod mini switch that allowed channel changing from the front panel.

The tech found that something had been wired up in such a way that it was dumping a bunch of signal to ground.

He stripped all the prior work out, returned it to stock, redid few solder joints he didn't consider up to par (previous tech), reinstalled the SRV function, replaced a couple more components that had drifted (screen resistors), and put in a loop bypass mod from schems that I'd confirmed with Mike a while back.

Looks mint inside. His work is very meticulous, not really distinguishable from original.

Then we cranked it to 6 at his shop. Glorious.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6119
    Too much in and out to recap or even remember. Highlights are CCK Infinity Reverb, Dunlop Echoplex and Es-225 (which initially I found difficult to adjust to but the reverb helped us bond) and an Epi solid fretless bass. Sold 50+ pedals which helped pay for the 225.
  • I like reading this but sharing mine is too sobering a thought like an AA meeting
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Out:

Gretsch Panther.
    Les Paul Standard.

In:

Nothing.
  • This year involved me building pretty much an entirely new pedalboard, buying about 4 synths/drum machines, buying 2 guitars, selling a guitar, and putting boutique pickups in to the guitars that I kept.

Oops. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited December 2018
    OUT : Les Paul Studio (bought years ago to mod, but never did).

IN :  Rift Tweed 15.
            Fender Acoustic Pro.
            Thorpy FX "The Dane".
            Custom Shop Les Paul Goldtop.
            Mark Bailey Custom Guitar (made to my own spec).
  • Only gear I bought this year was a Marshall DSL5, the new ones that came out. Didn't sell anything.
  • Out:
    PRS Tremonti 

In:
    PRS P22 

The P22 is awesome, really versatile. 

(I do miss the Tremonti, though  :/

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Out: nothing
    In: Tom Anderson Short Classic, HX Effects
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7816
    edited December 2018
    So without totting it all up in detail. It looks like way more £ ins than £ outs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    In: Helix LT and Alto TS210 FRFR speakers.

Out: a whole load of pedals, patch leads, power supply etc, Zoom G3 (a little sad to see that one go, but I no longer needed it), Boss MS3, Still have a couple of pedal board remnants left, plus the board but they'll probably go shortly in the new year also.

Also in: Gold strat partscaster I put together over the summer - did I ever think I needed this at all? no, but it turned out very nicely imho, and is getting used a lot. Out: exactly zero other guitars, I have a problem...
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Out: Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, Gretsch Electromatic G5122

In: Gretsch Jim Dandy, Teisco/Wollworths/Action 22/Sega Arse Gravy/Whatever it was called when it was sold new

Really glad I sold the les paul, I rarely ever used it and my mate plays it pretty much every single day
  • In:
    Fender MIJ Foto Flame Telecaster
    Deluxe Memory Man
    Chase Tone Secret Preamp 
    Boss GE7
    Boss TU12
    Suhr Reactive Load
    Way Huge Fat Sandwich 

In & Out:
    Fryette PS1
    Ceriatone Centaur
    Vertex Boost

Out:
    De'Armond M75

• OUT
    Gretsch Setzer SSLVO
    PRS CE24
    Axe-Fx Ultra
    Atomic FRFR
    Liquid Foot Jr
    2x homebrew expression pedals

IN
    Suhr Alt-T Pro (ZOMG so good)
    AX8
    Yamaha DXR10
    Digitech Drop
    Line 6 G10 Relay wireless
    Mission expression pedal

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    In:
    Gibson Les Paul Tribute Gold top (lovely!)
    Magnetic Effects White Atom (raucous!)
    Boss Katana 100 2x12 (useful)

Out:
    Errr... nothing...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42

OUT.

H&K tubemeister 18 head
    H&K 1x12 cab
    Zilla 2x12 cab 
    Pedaltrain nano
    Pedaltrain 3 H/C
    Tc nova system
    Wampler ego comp
    Tone city plexi
    Polytune mini