New Fender Tele hybrid released

What's Hot

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 616
    As much as I wanted to hate this I have to admit everything I've heard of these so far sounds really good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I think these could be really useful for live work in a pub and clubs cover band setting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    It is actually a concept I really like, and I’ve used several versions of the idea, from (at opposite ends of the range) an acoustic with magnetic and piezo pickups, and DI’ing an electric semi-acoustic (Rickenbacker). It works best with separate outputs so you can process the pickups independently, but is usable in mono, although overdriven piezo generally doesn’t sound good.

The Fender HMT was the best of the ‘mono’ solutions - but I hated the neck, it was wide and flat with huge frets, and unfortunately has a non-standard neck join so swapping it wasn’t an easy option.

I would only be interested in this new one if it came in a different finish though - like all black, so you didn’t have that horrible outline.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    JerkMoans said:
    It’s new. It’s different. It’s innovative.
    Nooooooooooo! At this rate someone will invent electric tuners!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Did'nt Kramer try this over 30 years ago with the Ferrington ? 

I bought one , and it was a poor acoustic guitar and not much better as an electric , looked pretty cool with the pointy headstock though .
    Pretty good for a sort of dobro slide sound when plugged in! Can’t Remember what happened to mine. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10241
    I’m not a fan of the design. I had a Stratacoustic. Someone borrowed it and I don’t think I even want it back lol. 
    I’ll have to admit that not long ago I nearly bought a black paisley Telecoustic... it just looked so cool :).

But it sounded like a very bad Ovation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    against all the odds and my expectations, I think this is REALLY cool - the addition of a 'sounds like a driven electric' mode is a great idea too

Red ones are better. 
  • I have to admit this has turned my head: sounds good enough for live work through PA with band, is slim like an electric guitar, 43mm nut, upper fret access.....

It looks "unusual" but I could probably live with that.

£1700 is priced similarly to an Elite Tele, so I would be looking for a high standard of fit and finish. And as a gigging guitar it will be making money to pay back the cost of purchase!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    MODS: Threads merged
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6080
    JerkMoans said:
    It’s new. It’s different. It’s innovative.

So the progressives of the guitar world will pillory them for it :D 
    It's a Telecaster. How innovative is that?  Fender are doing their usual dance; fannying about with a few classic designs. We can doubtless look forward to the thin skin, the relic, the original, the classic, the MIM, the Squier, The Affinity, the Bullet. Available at every price point.
    Jalapeno said:
    MODS: Threads merged
    Thanks - hadn't spotted the original 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I can't see these taking off.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    I watched the demo on Reverb and have to say that the plugged in sounds seem as convincing as anything I've heard at any price, so for the flexibility you get I don't see the price as being outlandish for what you can get from it. I guess Fender have an uphill battle because they've released cheaper (and very much shitter sounding) instruments in a similar format before and people will inevitably associate them.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I don't like that "plastic-y" DI'd acoustic sound. 
    I've listened to the demo now and it has no interest for me. The individual sounds are actually good, but the way they're controlled is no use to me at all. I have zero interest in being able to 'blend' from one acoustic sound to another, or in onboard distortion. What I want is a good acoustic sound, a good electric sound, a way of being able to blend between them to get a hybrid sound, a tone control (not necessarily treble roll-off, a mid boost/cut probably), and preferably the ability to send the two sounds to separate outputs.

• ^ so, a PRS Hollowbody?

I dig the concept on these, and most of the sounds. I’m not sure I’m their target audience, but would like to try one - especially if the inevitable MIM/far-east version ends up having the same electronics and modelling options.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I think this is a near-perfect gigging guitar for a lead singer/rhythm guitarist. 

The difference between this an every other hybrid I've seen is that the electric sounds are designed to sound good through a PA channel or acoustic amp.  So, some kind of rudimentary amp modelling built in, one assumes.  This means you can call up either sound just from the switch, with no need to manage separate signal chains or have pedals to compensate for the different response.  You could gig with just a clip-on tuner and a DI to the PA.

A few reasons why it wouldn't work for me:
    • I sing lead and play lead guitar.  I don't fancy trying to solo with 12 gauge acoustic strings with a wound G.  Not for a whole gig anyway.
    • I would want more control over the electric sounds - at the very least a proper tone control
    • I'd also want some control of the amp sim/LP filter or whatever it is that dictates the base electric sound (as well as the option to disable it)
    I do have some acoustic/folk projects where it'd be nice to drop in an occasional electric part, but I'd be more likely to choose a hybrid like this if it looked more like a traditional acoustic.

I'll definitely try one of these out though, when they start appearing in shops.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    Lewy said:
    I watched the demo on Reverb and have to say that the plugged in sounds seem as convincing as anything I've heard at any price, so for the flexibility you get I don't see the price as being outlandish for what you can get from it. I guess Fender have an uphill battle because they've released cheaper (and very much shitter sounding) instruments in a similar format before and people will inevitably associate them.
    Nail on head there I reckon 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    TimmyO said:
    against all the odds and my expectations, I think this is REALLY cool - the addition of a 'sounds like a driven electric' mode is a great idea too

I watched the whole thing, and really like it now !!! Actually have GAS but I also have a T5.