New Fender Tele hybrid released

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBM said:
     What I want is a good acoustic sound, a good electric sound, a way of being able to blend between them to get a hybrid sound
    It has that, demonstrated on the Andertons demo. Whether you think the sounds are "good" is another matter, but they can be blended via the second pot. Only one output though.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I think it does the acoustic side really well but it falls short of full electric.  Nothing to do with good or bad but just not in the realm of something like a Les Paul roar.  
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Think the acoustic sounds like a cheap crappy piezo tbh
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited January 2019
    ^ so, a PRS Hollowbody?
    They're not bad, but I don't like the piezo sound - it still sounds too much like an electric guitar with a piezo bridge, because it is... I think you need the wooden bridge with a bone/plastic bridge saddle.

I had a HB1 - purely electric - and found it odd to play because it was so light it felt like the body was barely there! But if I was still playing in the band I used PRS electrics with I would maybe have found a way to get on with it.

bluechargeboy said:

It has that, demonstrated on the Andertons demo. Whether you think the sounds are "good" is another matter, but they can be blended via the second pot. Only one output though.
    Yes, I did see that - although not in the Andertons demo, I watched the other one - but it's only one out of the five switch settings, three of which are pointless to me and the fifth is clean electric to overdriven electric so still not what I want. I'm not going to buy a guitar which has only one sound I would use out of five.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Like the blog author says, if the technology eventually trickles down to the MiM price bracket, interest will increase.
    it will have to trickle down even further for me ...like Squier or SX.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited January 2019
    "I am sure that this new hybrid guitar will divide opinions amongst guitarists worldwide"

Mastery of the art of understatement if ever I saw it...

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    "I am sure that this new hybrid guitar will divide opinions amongst guitarists worldwide"

Mastery of the art of understatement if ever I saw it...
    Divide as in separate the 1% who like it from the 99% who don't?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader

Cool little vid behind the development of the instrument

• I really like the look of these, especially the grey one
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I like the look, but sounds pretty poor.
  • I really like the look of these, especially the grey one
    Snap. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Took the plunge on one of these. Getting a good live acoustic sound has always been an issue and I liked the look and sound of the demos. Appreciate the looks of the guitar at a bit marmite but I like it. 

Anyway, like @ICBM says it depends what you’re after (personally I never took to two output guitars and have always hated piezos) but initial impressions are very favourable. There’s good variety in the acoustic tones and it sounds great through 2xDRX10s. Going to try recording some samples of it against mic’d up acoustic as well as I think - from first impressions - it could be a decent recording solution as well as a live one. 
    tFB Trader
    kjdowd said:
    Took the plunge on one of these. Getting a good live acoustic sound has always been an issue and I liked the look and sound of the demos. Appreciate the looks of the guitar at a bit marmite but I like it. 

Anyway, like @ICBM says it depends what you’re after (personally I never took to two output guitars and have always hated piezos) but initial impressions are very favourable. There’s good variety in the acoustic tones and it sounds great through 2xDRX10s. Going to try recording some samples of it against mic’d up acoustic as well as I think - from first impressions - it could be a decent recording solution as well as a live one. 

Have you heard about these hybrid strings specifically designed for hybrid guitars... They say that every other coil is nickel-plated steel, every other coil RARE phosphor bronze thus good for both piezo and magnetic pickups..  Never tried them though but I have read good things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-Strings-Zebra-Acoustic-Electric-Round/dp/B0002FOKQI

Rabs said:

Have you heard about these hybrid strings specifically designed for hybrid guitars... They say that every other coil is nickel-plated steel, every other coil RARE phosphor bronze thus good for both piezo and magnetic pickups..  Never tried them though but I have read good things.
    They're really good, especially if you want more of an electric-guitar sound from the magnetic pickup - they have a noticeably thicker tone than pure bronze strings and give a much better overdrive sound, but sound more or less the same on the piezo pickup.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Rabs said:

They're really good, especially if you want more of an electric-guitar sound from the magnetic pickup - they have a noticeably thicker tone than pure bronze strings and give a much better overdrive sound, but sound more or less the same on the piezo pickup.

Cool.. Cheers...   When I finally get back to work one of my first projects in line is a hybrid build.. I will definitely try these strings out.