Most valuable guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Did we do Pearly Gates already ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Knopfler's National?  He may have only used it on a handful of songs, but it's on the cover of one of the biggest-selling albums of all time.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    So with the news that Gilmour is selling both the black one and the white #1 one, that got me wondering what the most valuable guitar would be, if every famous guitar was lined up and sold on the same day. 

Off the top of my head the following seem obvious candidates

Buddy Holly's Strat

Think he had about 4 or 5 - all stolen
    Not quite. John Page restored the last Strat Buddy played, a 58 serial number 028228

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ee/e1/e5/eee1e519bfca51d63511238c46d97f2b.jpg
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    edited January 2019
    Anything from Essex Recording Studio on eBay 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    BB’s Lucille
    I think there were a lot of Lucilles.

miserneil said:
    Rossi's Green Tele and Parfitt's White Tele must be somewhere in the list, pretty iconic guitars even if you're not a fan of the band.
    Don't think they ever made it that big in the US so that would restrict the value.

So with the news that Gilmour is selling both the black one and the white #1 one, that got me wondering what the most valuable guitar would be, if every famous guitar was lined up and sold on the same day. 

Springsteen's Esquire

Think I've read somewhere that it is going with him in the coffin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most people would see him primarily as a singer and songwriter and not a guitarist.  Think that would count against it.

The most valuable would have to be from someone who was in a major band.  95% of the population woulnd never have heard of a few of the names mentioned in this thread.  It would have to be someone who is from a band that is a household name.

I suspect it would be the Red Special, as it is so unique.  It's also the only guitar that May has used for pretty much his whole career.  The Gilmour Strat is diluted by the 0001 Strat and by the Les Paul he used on the Wall.  Clapton has had several well known guitars.  Page has had a couple of Les Pauls, and some of his best known stuff was played on a Tele or Esquire.  Pretty much every Queen song was played on the Red Special.

Queen don't seem to be going away either (not just because they seem to have a song in every ad break).  My 7 year old daughter likes Queen.  I don't think she has heard of Cream or Led Zep.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

The Edges black 'Where The Streets Have No Name' Strat. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    JJ Cale's old casio
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Rabs said:
    I guess Clapton's Beano LP might be the motherload, though good luck to anyone trying to sell it

There's the Peter Green / Gary Moore / Kirk Hammett 'burst. Although it probably depreciates every day it's with Kirk.

Yes this one.. I do remember reading rumours that he paid 2 million for it..  But it was just a rumour...

I would say that Gilmours 55 Goldtop by rights should go for some serious cash as demonstrated in this vid (go to 4:22) and not just because of the music he played on it, but the fact its a nice early example of a LP.

Iirc the Hard Rock Cafe bought the Green Moore LP for $5 mil, but sold it at a loss to Hammett.

Kirk is gigging it too. As he should.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    LuttiS said:
    Rory Gallagher's strat sold for £25k a while ago I think...
    I missed that if true - I thought it was still in the family with his brother
    You're right, googled it - it was his Patrick Eggle guitar that sold.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-27000748

• Sid Vicious' white Precision bass? Apparently he had two, one was given away / stolen but Steve Jones has claimed to have the other one.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    steve jones white lp custom
    strummer ignore alien orders telecaster
  • Slash’s Derrig
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Kurt Cobain vandalism sticker Strat 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Beano would trump the lot if it appeared and was verified by Eric. Paul’s stolen Cavern violin bass would fetch considerable money. I’d put those two top of the list, but also least likely to happen. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited January 2019
    Did Hank Marvin have a particular strat or just use a selection - I’d have thought there are enough fanatics with cash to pay for his first strat.   

Tony Iommi’s first SG?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    Did Hank Marvin have a particular strat or just use a selection - I’d have thought there are enough fanatics with cash to pay for his first strat.   

Tony Iommi’s first SG?
    Think Bruce Welch owns the original 50's model - Can't recall the story now but didn't Cliff own it or buy it for Hank - can't recall how Bruce ended up with it - But believe he now owns it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

Buddy Holly's Strat

Think he had about 4 or 5 - all stolen
    Not quite. John Page restored the last Strat Buddy played, a 58 serial number 028228

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ee/e1/e5/eee1e519bfca51d63511238c46d97f2b.jpg
    maybe a silly question, but were any in the plane crash, or were they all with the band on the bus ?

Answered my own question - just found this which also mentions John Page

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/buddy-hollys-stratocasters.1119918/
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Roy Buchanan's Tele, Nancy.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    edited January 2019
    Cliff bought it for Hank. Was refinished white I think. Then went to Bruce who took it back to pink/red/whatever you want to call the colour and still owns it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited January 2019
    That Polish guitar that's on EBay at the moment and is mentioned in another thread on here.
    32k and will only appreciate in value given how famous the band is.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom