0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Midge Ure's Vintage V100MU?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Proclaimers acoustic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Proclaimers acoustic
    I've worked on one they used in the early days - a Martin Shenandoah series, I don't remember which exact model. Fixed the pickup on it I think - but it was about 30 years ago so I can't remember for sure!

Probably worth about £500 on a good day now. I suspect it may have earned them slightly more than that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Proclaimers acoustic

Probably worth about £500 on a good day now. I suspect it may have earned them slightly more than that :).
    I'd say at least 500 more...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jonathangus said:

I knew that wouldn't take long! :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• James Hetfield's white Explorer
    Zakk Wylde's 'The Grail' Les Paul

*puts on flame-proof suit in preparation*
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    Keith Richards' flame top Bigsby LP standard, used in the 60s would be a find.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27103
    GuyR said:
    Keith Richards' flame top Bigsby LP standard, used in the 60s would be a find.
    I thought that was with Hard Rock in Times Square - there was definitely a Keef-burst in there when I visited in 2006-ish. No bigsby, but holes from where one had been.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    Jonathangus said:

I knew that wouldn't take long! :)
    Too easy, really.  :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

George Harrison's first Gretsch Country Gent that he used on all the early Beatles recordings and gigs is another one - it's still out there somewhere. He swapped it to another musician (I forget who) in the late 60s after he'd stopped using it, who later traded it to a shop for something else without mentioning its history, and then it disappeared. And unlike the Beano Les Paul, it will be difficult to identify from photos because there's no unique wood figure easily visible.

• John_P said:
    Did Hank Marvin have a particular strat or just use a selection - I’d have thought there are enough fanatics with cash to pay for his first strat.   

Tony Iommi’s first SG?
    Think Bruce Welch owns the original 50's model - Can't recall the story now but didn't Cliff own it or buy it for Hank - can't recall how Bruce ended up with it - But believe he now owns it

That thing would probably fetch a serious sum- allegedly the first Strat in the UK, and the fact that that guitar on Hank's Shadows recordings is basically Ground Zero for British rock guitar.

See if you can find a 60s British guitar hero who doesn't mention Hank first on a list of inspirations. And see if you can find any guitarist who doesn't mention a 60s British guitar hero on their own list.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Just thought of another one: Randy Rhoads' polka-dot V. Not sure if it even exists any more; was it destroyed in the accident?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Nile Rodgers ‘Hit Maker’ strat. He still uses it, I think. How many great albums has that been on? All the Chic stuff, Bowie’s Let’s Dance, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I thinJohn_P said:
    Did Hank Marvin have a particular strat or just use a selection - I’d have thought there are enough fanatics with cash to pay for his first strat.   

Tony Iommi’s first SG?
    I think Hanks first strat is still owned by Bruce Welch and not likely to see sold any time soon. 
    Macca has never sold anything since he doesn't need the cash, so his stuff is likely to be rated highly. His hofner has been touted as very valuable but I think one was stolen and there are now 2 or more old ones in his arsenal.
    One thing likely to impact famous guitars is the ever ageing populous that grew up with these heroes, they have lots of cash but how many are willing to invest it now! The baby boomers are already retired or approaching that event, one day all these old guitars will go in a skip because the youths wont appreciate the association or the struggles of learning to play like your musical heros.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    James Burtons Paisley tele?
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2967
    baby snakes / roxy?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • AlexC said:
    Nile Rodgers ‘Hit Maker’ strat. He still uses it, I think. How many great albums has that been on? All the Chic stuff, Bowie’s Let’s Dance, etc.
    I think I saw a programme about Nile Rodgers and the guitar, it was very interesting. 

I saw think, as I saw it very late at night in a bout of insomnia and there's every chance that it was a hallucination.  A banal guitar based hallucination but one nonetheless. 
  • Prince's symbol guitar? Or his Tele?

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    Slash’s Derrig
    This and Slash's 'number one'. His main live guitar; I think it's one of two '88 LP plain tops that he had refinished from the red, orange, yellow clown burst to a more pleasant honey burst esque finish.