Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Waterproof jackets?

What's Hot

Comments

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I'd like a waterproof that didn't make me sweat buckets :( 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Forces surplus goretex jacket is a very good shout if you want breathable waterproof at a budget price. Look on eBay or surplus stores, many are like new.

I have a police one, de-badged, to use over my motorcycle jacket. Goretex is a great material, especially the paclite version which is thinner but just as waterproof.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2019
    Berghaus always good, picked up one of these end of line from Millets, lightweight and should be fine for wearing in warmer weather or in winter with fleece under

• My job involves regular days of surveying ecosystems in all weathers... I've tested lots of different ones over the years. 

My main jacket is a Regatta. Solid, reliable & cheap enough that if it gets ripped/torn on barbed wire etc then work don't complain about replacing it. 
    https://i.imgur.com/5MZpLCS.jpg

It's not particularly stylish, but neither am I (I hate hoods, so wear a wide brimmed hat. Just waiting for Vogue to call). 

Great picture. Love those hats too, I've had two and wish I could wear my current one all the time but their not too trendy here in Scotland lol. My wife also hates it so cant win lol.
    Nice jacket too :)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    Bin bag with holes cut out and belt around your waist. Seriously, if you want to stay dry in all weathers this beats all others - they all let water in eventually.

If your not requiring total exclusion, any of the others. Personally I like Paramo and Marmot.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited January 2019
    If you want a lightweight outer shell - cheap - and don’t mind camo, get a DPM British army gortex off eBay - cheap and fully waterproof.

Patagonia and Fjallraven are also highly recommend  B
  • Budgie said:
    Paramo

/thread
    +lots had a zip repaired on a 3 yr old jacket - they sent it back - had a small nick in it which may even have been caused by me - sent me a brand new jacket - better model worth about 50 quid more. Worht spending a lot of time looking at the different options. Their fit nowadays is a lot nicer than 10 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Budgie said:
    Paramo

/thread
    I’ve had the lot - Berghaus, North Face, Rab, Marmot, Jack Wolfskin, Montane, Arcteryx, and Musto etc for sailing... 

I have two Paramo that are about 5 years old and as effective as the day I got them - they are the best by a very long distance.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a 20 year old wax Barbour jacket .. still looks like new.

I also have a lightweight waterproof jacket - can't remember the make but it's breathable, lightweight and waterproof. It's designed for golf. I don't play golf but was recommended to look at golfing gear by a golfer.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4259
    Paramo for me, after having loads of gore tex stuff in the past. The Paramo is a bit heavier, but the whole Nikwax Analogy system is a better idea. It feels much more breathable too.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    I’ve got a gore tex mountain equipment one (not mountain warehouse) over a fleece it is great , good wired hood too. Get a wired hood if you can, stops it from slapping you in the chops when it’s wet and windy 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited January 2019
    BGG said:
    I'd like a waterproof that didn't make me sweat buckets  
    Goretex . Berghaus do some lightweights that are pretty good but not goretex and you do get sweaty in them. I think the Hillmaster may be goretex there are a few to choose from though can get expensive. My last two jackets have been Jack Wolfskin though none of them are lightweight ones.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Dominic said:
    Barbour.......for provenance sake
     Belstaff for provenance and style

This, muchly.

I have a Belstaff Roadmaster, had it for 9 years. I re wax it every year. Still looks really good (IMO) and is wind and waterproof. Best place to get a Belstaff is from motolegends. they do good prices, and cos its a motorbike store you get the benefit of them stocking the Belstaffs that have micro pore linings and thermal liners. Prepare to spend 5-600 quid though.

edited January 2019
    JAYJO said:
    BGG said:
    I'd like a waterproof that didn't make me sweat buckets  
    Goretex . Berghaus do some lightweights that are pretty good but not goretex and you do get sweaty in them. I think the Hillmaster may be goretex there are a few to choose from though can get expensive. My last two jackets have been Jack Wolfskin though none of them are lightweight ones.

Here is a test on moisture management/breathability. Paramo fabric, vs what I think it is safe to conclude is gore tex.

• Thanks chaps.  Lots of stuff I've never heard of... so I'll do a bit of research based on your suggestions.  Cheers.
  • Having spent most of my working life in the outdoor pursuits industry I can guarantee there is no better waterproof fabric than good old fashioned wax cotton. 
    ALL microfibre coats will eventually leak.
    Having spent most of my working life in the outdoor pursuits industry I can guarantee there is no better waterproof fabric than good old fashioned wax cotton. 
    Isn't it heavy, and not particularly breathable though? Not really a high performance option anyway.

The Paramo fabric I mentioned above, even if it eventually gets wet inside, it will then push the moisture back out through body heat. It works like animal fur, it's a pretty clever idea.
  • CloudNine said:
    Having spent most of my working life in the outdoor pursuits industry I can guarantee there is no better waterproof fabric than good old fashioned wax cotton. 
    Isn't it heavy, and not particularly breathable though? Not really a high performance option anyway.

The Paramo fabric I mentioned above, even if it eventually gets wet inside, it will then push the moisture back out through body heat. It works like animal fur, it's a pretty clever idea.
    Always coveted Paramo but never found one that fits, I don't disagree that there are more comfortable waterproofs out there but if i had to have only 1 waterproof it'd be a wax. In reality there's no 1 perfect coat, i've got probably 6 or 7 waterproof coats for different reasons or uses.
  • I got a Mountain Warehouse 3-in-1 type jacket, an inner fleece (which I'm wearing now actually) as well as a waterproof jacket. Its very good and I got it for £99 in a sale I think.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    CloudNine said:

I've got a wax jacket with a removable sleeveless inner. I call it my Poachers coat. It weighs a fair bit and the hood is useless. When looking for a waterproof i overlooked the hood on this jacket. I suffer with my lug holes and haven't worn it for a couple of years. I think the paramo fabric works similar to the Porvair breatheable porelle membranes we us in work though it would need to be fire retardant for us to use. Looks very good.