Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Waterproof jackets?

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Get a Gore Tex Active coat. Expensive but with it in my opinion. The only really waterproof and windproof but really breathable coat I've ever tried, and it's machine washable and a spin in the tumble drier reactivates the breathability.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Craghoppers 3 in 1 thingy where its a fleece lined jacket, jacket, or fleece.. its an Aquadry one waterproof, windproof and breathable.

Debenhams always have decent sales on Craghoppers stuff https://www.debenhams.com/search/Craghoppers/men/coats-jackets/raincoats-macs#filter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Remember someone on here praising https://www.alpkit.com/ on an old similar thread
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Find a brand that suits your shape.

I favour Montane because they fit people with broad shoulders.
    I find brands like Arc'teryx don't work for me, despite being really well made.

Wax jackets (Barbour/Belstaff) are all well and good, but they require maintenance and don't really work when it is really wet.
    I have a Belstaff wax motorcycle jacket that fits me better than anything else, but I can't use it for long rides in the winter as I'd get soaked through.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I have a really lightweight North Face that is great for hiking. Not for cold weather, but perfect as just-a-rain-jacket.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I have a really lightweight North Face that is great for hiking. Not for cold weather, but perfect as just-a-rain-jacket.
    They are great for keeping the wind and rain off, with a hoodie underneath they are fine in cold/snow I find.

Not good for sailing in a force 8 with torrential rain I learned, you need oilskins for that!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    I’ve had two Peter Storm jackets (Blacks own brand stuff I believe). Both were rubbish and went back. The poppers came off on one after a couple of days, the zip went on the other after two weeks. Their QC is pretty poor, I guess they must be made down to a price. I got a Jack Wolfskin one as a replacement. It’s very warm, as it’s one with the zip out fleece lining, but although it’s shower resistant it’s definitely not waterproof even though it’s a Goretex fabric. I’ve yet to find a jacket that doesn’t let water through eventually, unless it’s proper motorcycle gear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    I have North Face and Berghaus jackets and I have to say that, for me, the Berghaus is better. The Berghaus Deluge Pro Insulated is what I use now and it's spot on.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Wax jackets - I've worn my in total downpours for hours and its been fine as long as it was recently waxed. If not you do get leaks at the seams.

Also, with a  waxed cotton jacket you will need a liner as on their own they are cold. In cold weather, it takes a lot to warm them up.

Aside from all this technical nonsense, a worn Belstaff looks better than anything else in this thread, lmao.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I bought an excellent waterproof in  Patagonia with the name Montagne. I wonder if that's related to Montane.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    edited February 2019
    Another excellent brand is Mountain Hardwear, a little scarce in this country but excellent pro gear, I’ve got the sub zero down jacket, bro in law has the waterproof stuff ( he’s a mountain leader) great stuff if you can get it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I’ve had a Páramo Velez for a few years, excellent, far preferable to Goretex etc in performance and comfort in my opinion. Nice brand marketing too if that’s important.......just bought another couple of jackets on their eBay store. They sell discounted old stock as seller Páramoextras 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    scrumhalf said:
    I have a Lowe Alpine jacket that's close to 20 years old and still keeps the water out. You can also zip a fleece into it for added warmth. Excellent bit of kit. 
    Is it triple point ceramic?

I had one that we finally let go this year after buying in 1998

More than one outdoor shop told me something like "Goretex (or some other) paid them to stop making it because it's so much better and hard wearing" I need to fact-check that now the internet is more full of data
  • Well.... never let it be said that I act too swiftly or hastily!!!

Finally bought a jacket (10 months after this thread)... and went for a Paramo (after all the positive comments from various people in this thread).

Found a shop that had a few different models to choose from.  Will let you know how it performs in it's first downpour.

Thanks again for all the advice.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Well.... never let it be said that I act too swiftly or hastily!!!

Finally bought a jacket (10 months after this thread)... and went for a Paramo (after all the positive comments from various people in this thread).

Found a shop that had a few different models to choose from.  Will let you know how it performs in it's first downpour.

Thanks again for all the advice.
    Try it in your shower!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    I mainly have a Berghaus goretex thing with a zip-in fleece (they call it "Technical"); however, it is a bit of a faff getting it on when I've got a thinner fleece under it too.

I had a Barbour years ago, but I never liked the wax smell it had.

Musto are great, but it's pot luck whether you like the nautical theme.

Blacks seem to be having sales on at the moment.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

Just make sure it is genuine Gore-Tex with ykk zips

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    prowla said:
    Blacks seem to be having sales on at the moment.
    Blacks are like Sofa World. As soon as one sale ends, the next one starts.  ;)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Having spent most of my working life in the outdoor pursuits industry I can guarantee there is no better waterproof fabric than good old fashioned wax cotton. 
    ALL microfibre coats will eventually leak.

As will any wax jacket that you don't rewax, especially after a long time in a down pour.

Downside of wax jackets is that the actual jacket is cold for quite a while til your body warms it up. However, they do look good (IMO).

Belstaff Trialmaster Pro - 10oz waxed cotton, waterproof membrane and thermal liner. £575 at moto legends. These new ones have better zips. That will likely last you a lifetime, and get better looking with age. Just like yourself no doubt!