Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suggest a Fuzz that...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz? 
    Fussy about buffers. All the cool self-oscillation weirdness stops if there’s a buffer in front, and it just sounds very ordinary. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I had a chance to A/B the @Magnetic_Effects ; White Atom V2 against the @ThorpyFX Veteran Si 

Main conclusion is that it's a totally pointless exercise because they both sound great and completely different from one another.

I can see why people love the White Atom. It can go from a slightly fuzzy overdrive to a really splattery broken sound, but it never gets unusable or howls with feedback so it's a really nice usable pedal.
    It has lots of sustain and though it doesn't sound like a Muff because it's a bit more textured you can get those types of sounds out of it.
    It seems to play nice with wah, delay and boosts. What's cool is that you can keep it fairly overdrivey and then when you stack a boost into it you get more of the broken fuzz sound so you can easily have both sounds available.
    The amount of bass seems about right, but it would be nice to adjust it so it's good that they've added a bass control to the V3
    Only slight criticism is that you can't get a huge amount of level out of it especially if you aren't using a lot of gain and texture so it might not be a one click solo pedal depending on your amp.
    Overall a big thumbs up! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12923
    @monquixote ;

Thats pretty much exactly the problem I've had comparing different fuzzes - you like lots of different ones and they're all too different to try to choose between them!
    tFB Trader
    In this case it's not too much of a problem as I'll just keep both of them.

If I was still in my funk band I'd probably have the White Atom on my board as it's better for those infinite sustain Eddie Hazel type things whereas I'd be more inclined to use the ThorpyFX as a 60's rock garage band type thing.

The Thorpy really comes to life when you get it up loud and it's insane how quiet it is even when you've got it cranked.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    I've still never heard a better fuzz tone than an EHX Big Muff with a TS-style pedal in front of it. They're useless on their own in a band situation, of course, but with a TS in front, they're killer.
    tFB Trader
    Clecko said:
    I've still never heard a better fuzz tone than an EHX Big Muff with a TS-style pedal in front of it. They're useless on their own in a band situation, of course, but with a TS in front, they're killer.

You are totally right.

I never really got on with Big Muff type pedals and then I tried one with the gain back getting slammed by a TS and it was awesome.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Clecko said:
    I've never found a Big Muff useless in a band situation without anything in front of it.

The key is to use a big enough amp. A lot of people use small ones that are already at the limit, so the scooped sound of the Muff tries to make the amp produce more bass, which it can't, so it loses volume. But a big amp - even one running at the point of breakup, if it's done with a master volume so the power stage isn't being overdriven - won't do that and sounds massive.

Of course then putting a mid-boosted overdrive in front of it works even better too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Even if your amp can handle it you can end up clashing with the bass player.

The swollen pickle is the worst for that. Great bedroom pedal, but I don't know how you could use one live.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Clecko said:

You are totally right.

I never really got on with Big Muff type pedals and then I tried one with the gain back getting slammed by a TS and it was awesome.
    Just interested because on the JHS YouTube thing a few days ago he was saying about using a Bug Muff into a TS; although you have it the other way around in your description. FF to about 10:40. 

https://youtu.be/prcFwllEzl4
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.