Other Hobbies - do you spend as much as on guitar gear

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I used to spend on guitars. That stopped. I now spend on building guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Well, my car is off having around £2k worth of work done, so that's a couple of decent basses.

My hi-fi is long overdue for a service/re-cap, which may well come to something similar, and I'll be needing a streamer for it at some time; unfortunately the equivalent one to my CD player is £12k, so it might be a while.
  • Since acquiring all my dream gear, I genuinely have no guitar related GAS anymore! The only music stuff I've bought in the last 5 years are a Pedaltrain Metro and a Focusrite Scarlett.

Cycling however? Yes it can be done on a budget and done well, but I do tend to go a tad overboard. Stopped short of a Pinarello though, a Cannondale is swanky enough ;) Bank account does get a regular hammering if I'm ever in the vicinity of my LBS.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    johnbaz said:
    I'm in to Bonsai but also have loads of other hobbies- Most involve collecting though which can be rather expensive!

I collect watches (Have around 2,000 of them in total), Airguns (Around 150 at the mo!), I also collect knives, machinery and other tools along with binoculars/telescopes!

There's other stuff too!, I stopped smoking back in 2006 and found I had plenty of spare cash so that's when the collections started getting too big for the house, Think i'll be on 'The hoarder next door' before too long!

Oh, Also have an MG Midget in the garage to play with too!

EDIT- I recently bought six guitars in eight weeks, Even the missus started complaining about them being in the bedroom so most had to go in the spare room!!

John  
    I want to get a bonsai, again, killed the last 2...what do you recommend that is hardy and can live indoors.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Watches. Spent quite a lot on watches. Although admittedly I cashed some of that in for guitar stuff recently.
  • my hobby and profession is photography so over the years ive spent many times more on this than guitar related stuff, but it al has to and does pay for itself. actually havnt spent much the last couple of years as i seem to have all the cameras, lighting, backgrounds i need. and i find the gear quite unintersting so i dont spend time lusting after it,
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    KDS said:
    KDS said:
    hifi, not bought anything for ten years, turntable shopping demo booked at 9:30 this morning, serious £ involved. Unlike guitars get anything wrong and that is much bigger financial loss.
    How did you get on ?  Any good ?
    Nearly 3 hr demo, bought Rega rp10, cartridge phono stage. Sounded great. Tried load of floor standers, didn’t buy any
    Mmmm...nice !  Good luck with the speaker search.  Ooops....sorry to disturb your listening.  Gyrodec/Tabriz here.
    Excellent. What cart and phono stage did you get?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Since acquiring all my dream gear, I genuinely have no guitar related GAS anymore! The only music stuff I've bought in the last 5 years are a Pedaltrain Metro and a Focusrite Scarlett.

Cycling however? Yes it can be done on a budget and done well, but I do tend to go a tad overboard. Stopped short of a Pinarello though, a Cannondale is swanky enough ;) Bank account does get a regular hammering if I'm ever in the vicinity of my LBS.
    Super six ??? 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3626
    edited March 2019
    johnbaz said:
    I'm in to Bonsai but also have loads of other hobbies- Most involve collecting though which can be rather expensive!

I collect watches (Have around 2,000 of them in total), Airguns (Around 150 at the mo!), I also collect knives, machinery and other tools along with binoculars/telescopes!

There's other stuff too!, I stopped smoking back in 2006 and found I had plenty of spare cash so that's when the collections started getting too big for the house, Think i'll be on 'The hoarder next door' before too long!

Oh, Also have an MG Midget in the garage to play with too!

EDIT- I recently bought six guitars in eight weeks, Even the missus started complaining about them being in the bedroom so most had to go in the spare room!!

John  
    Hi John @johnbaz ;

I'd recognise those stats anywhere!

Nice to see you here. I'm Neil.C on TZ-UK. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I spent £650 on a pair of rollerskates.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Did it include short shorts, knee high socks and striped sweatband?
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    tekbow said:
    Did it include short shorts, knee high socks and striped sweatband?
    No, but I probably have about £300 of protective gear.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I do the vast majority of my big spending on music gear these days, but from time to time I do splash out big for my illustration / art stuff. Got an iPad Pro last week which will be used 90% or so on art, and a couple of years back I spent nearly 300 quid on paint marker pens.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27110
    Further posts above have reminded me of both travel and watches... at last count I’ve been to 18 countries in the last 5 years (i think). Some work, some personal, but about half of those were more than once.

I only have 2 expensive watches, but so far I’m doing a good job keeping GAS at bay. Unlike with guitars I don’t think I would want more than a couple more. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    My latest mountainbike cost more than all my guitar stuff combined...
    Then there was the cheap carbon Ulterga specced road bike last year, and my first carbon mountainbike the year before that.

Guitars are cheap!
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    viz said:
    KDS said:
    KDS said:
    hifi, not bought anything for ten years, turntable shopping demo booked at 9:30 this morning, serious £ involved. Unlike guitars get anything wrong and that is much bigger financial loss.
    Nearly 3 hr demo, bought Rega rp10, cartridge phono stage. Sounded great. Tried load of floor standers, didn’t buy any
    Mmmm...nice !  Good luck with the speaker search.  Ooops....sorry to disturb your listening.  Gyrodec/Tabriz here.
    Ex dem Rega rp-10 with factory fitted Apheta 2 cartridge, aria phono stage, Rega interconnect. All Rega front end. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    KDS said:
    viz said:
    KDS said:
    KDS said:
    Ex dem Rega rp-10 with factory fitted Apheta 2 cartridge, aria phono stage, Rega interconnect. All Rega front end. 
    Ooh nice :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gardening. The older I get the more I like it ... and it has its own GAS urges. Been growing fruit and some veg but plan to work less and open up the garden to more veg growing.

I'm a real sad old git .... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    m_c said:
    My latest mountainbike cost more than all my guitar stuff combined...
    Then there was the cheap carbon Ulterga specced road bike last year, and my first carbon mountainbike the year before that.

Guitars are cheap!
    For quite a while my mountain bike was worth 3 times the value of my car... Its quite an industry they have built. Every year, everything is "better" guitar gas is just baby numbers.
  • AllSaints leather jackets but I class them as guitar accessories. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom