Other Hobbies - do you spend as much as on guitar gear

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Camera and film equipment. Part job, part hobby. I like comic books too, but haven't bought any for a while. Most of my money goes on mortgage and pedals!

Did you know toddlers can survive on 3 MOSFET's a day!?!

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    m_c said:
    My latest mountainbike cost more than all my guitar stuff combined...
    Then there was the cheap carbon Ulterga specced road bike last year, and my first carbon mountainbike the year before that.

Guitars are cheap!
    For quite a while my mountain bike was worth 3 times the value of my car... Its quite an industry they have built. Every year, everything is "better" guitar gas is just baby numbers.
    There is quite a bit of disillusion within the trade just now with the endless 'standards'. I always used to go through a gradual change, maybe a new frame every couple years, with other bits being changed when needed or when I was feeling a bit flush. Over the past few years that's just not been possible, due to the seemingly endless changes in standards, and is why I pretty much ran that bike into the ground.

The last bike I bought complete, as the only things on my previous bike that would have fitted, were the saddle, drivetrain and brakes, and the drivetrain was worn out, and the brakes needing overhauled. The wheels and fork were too small (26").

The current bike was serious money, and took some serious justification. To put it in context for this forum, you could buy 2 or 3 Fender custom shop guitars for the same money.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I barely spend any money on guitars / gear. 

I think it goes on eating out, theatre, cinema etc. I suppose travel. I don't have a hobby like I do guitar. Which is a shame as it's such a solitary and sedentary hobby and it might be good to hook a group doing something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    m_c said:
    m_c said:
    My latest mountainbike cost more than all my guitar stuff combined...
    Then there was the cheap carbon Ulterga specced road bike last year, and my first carbon mountainbike the year before that.

Guitars are cheap!
    For quite a while my mountain bike was worth 3 times the value of my car... Its quite an industry they have built. Every year, everything is "better" guitar gas is just baby numbers.
    There is quite a bit of disillusion within the trade just now with the endless 'standards'. I always used to go through a gradual change, maybe a new frame every couple years, with other bits being changed when needed or when I was feeling a bit flush. Over the past few years that's just not been possible, due to the seemingly endless changes in standards, and is why I pretty much ran that bike into the ground.

The last bike I bought complete, as the only things on my previous bike that would have fitted, were the saddle, drivetrain and brakes, and the drivetrain was worn out, and the brakes needing overhauled. The wheels and fork were too small (26").

The current bike was serious money, and took some serious justification. To put it in context for this forum, you could buy 2 or 3 Fender custom shop guitars for the same money.
    To be honest, I've tended to run my bikes into the ground and then buy again new. I get about 10 years out of a mountain bike. My new one (a radon carbon slide) is already 5 years old and I've just replaced worn parts like for like as and when. The upgrade path is actually really difficult to get right now, even for simple items - though I have to say I do prefer some of the new standards, especially 27" wheels.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Skateboarding. £80 buys you a really good skateboard. £50 buys you a good pair of skate shoes. Lessons are free on YouTube. Most towns have a skatepark which is probably free. Bigger towns and cities have indoor parks for when the weather is bad which are usually about the cost of two beers for a couple of hours. Pads and helmet optional but maybe £100 for the lot. Most people already own a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. So everything for less than a decent Squier.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I take my hat off to everyone here... riveting hobbies. Being able to perform magic must be fascinating - and an infallible tool on hot dates. I take Rock and Roll lessons. Aye, that form of partner dance that originated from lindy hop. It might be somewhat antiquated, but I love it.
  • Nikc said:
    Since acquiring all my dream gear, I genuinely have no guitar related GAS anymore! The only music stuff I've bought in the last 5 years are a Pedaltrain Metro and a Focusrite Scarlett.

Cycling however? Yes it can be done on a budget and done well, but I do tend to go a tad overboard. Stopped short of a Pinarello though, a Cannondale is swanky enough ;) Bank account does get a regular hammering if I'm ever in the vicinity of my LBS.
    Super six ??? 
    CAAD
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...