How many used Helix?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
just had a quick peep on eBay at the daddy helix Floor unit.

seems to be loads on there!

why?

still haven’t tried one myself but are people still loving there Helix that have got one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26594
    I've had the LT for about 18 months now, and it's totally changed my (musical) life. Snapshots are magic, and I've now got my rig down to 22-24kg depending on which guitar I take with me.

I've found that, for live work, it's vastly better to use a power amp (the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, in my case) and a real cab (Matrix NL212) rather than FRFR with cab models or IRs. I honestly can't tell the difference between it set up like this and a real amp, and neither has anybody who's heard it.

Used the Helix (or Helix Native, actually) to record all the guitars and bass for our album, and the results were brilliant. The guy who mixed it barely did anything to those tones, and a couple of well-known studio engineers have heard it and were absolutely stunned that it wasn't a real amp.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2442
    I guess it comes down to investment and that thing we all love/ hate called GAS. If you have the thick end of a grand tied up in something and you want something else, it's an easy thing to get rid of. I do see a lot of people saying they sold it then instantly had a situation where it would have been useful. I do think having a Helix or an HX stomp (or insert other modelling product here) is a great piece of kit to have in the tool bag with you at all times just for that situation where you need it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I guess it comes down to investment and that thing we all love/ hate called GAS.
    That's the other thing - I've basically been cured of pedal/amp GAS.

That means I've gone back to GASsing for guitars and pickups, but I don't think that's a bad thing.
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I've been with a helix for  2 1/2 years and still love it.  The mini friedman JJ is the first amp to peak some actual interest. And I'd like to try a kemper, but that's just curiosity and the fact that we're all really fickle.

The unit has been in existence for 4years (?), meaning there are a lot of them in existence, so you're bound to see more coming up for sale.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Helix never cured me of any GAS, especially pedals. It's a great unit, but the Stomp would be enough for me and I'll get one one day. 
  • That’s great to know! I have always been interested in the helix as it could solve a lot of issues! 
  • I've had the LT for about 18 months now, and it's totally changed my (musical) life. Snapshots are magic, and I've now got my rig down to 22-24kg depending on which guitar I take with me.

I've found that, for live work, it's vastly better to use a power amp (the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, in my case) and a real cab (Matrix NL212) rather than FRFR with cab models or IRs. I honestly can't tell the difference between it set up like this and a real amp, and neither has anybody who's heard it.

Used the Helix (or Helix Native, actually) to record all the guitars and bass for our album, and the results were brilliant. The guy who mixed it barely did anything to those tones, and a couple of well-known studio engineers have heard it and were absolutely stunned that it wasn't a real amp.
    That’s really inspiring to know! I play mostly in ears so I guess I would need any of that unless I want the real amp feel. There are a few gigs where we don’t have in ears. But for those I can just run it through a monitor? I have a EV active monitor

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/active-full-range-speakers/electro-voice-zlx-12p-2-way-active-12-inch-speaker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxPf1xLL84AIVlOJ3Ch2wHAw-EAQYAyABEgKMxfD_BwE

Will this his be good enough to run the helix front if house then use this?
    Yep, that EV would definitely do the job. I tried using the Yamaha DXR10, and that was also excellent - it just turned out that FRFR isn't where it's at for my needs.
    <space for hire>
  • What are the modulation effects like? I have a strymon möbius and I love the harmonic trem, Leslie and envelope filters. Can it match the strymon? Guess I need to find out! But with the presets you just tweak each to your settings I guess. 
    What are the modulation effects like? I have a strymon möbius and I love the harmonic trem, Leslie and envelope filters. Can it match the strymon? Guess I need to find out! But with the presets you just tweak each to your settings I guess. 
    Well, I'd be surprised if there was much from the standard set of modulations that you couldn't do with it, although I'm not a massive fan of modulation effects.

It's worth noting that you've also got all the M-series effects in the Legacy group too, so there's a massive breadth in there.

If you've got an audio interface, you could always download Helix Native and give it a go for free? I think you get 14 days' free trial.
    <space for hire>
  • What are the modulation effects like? I have a strymon möbius and I love the harmonic trem, Leslie and envelope filters. Can it match the strymon? Guess I need to find out! But with the presets you just tweak each to your settings I guess. 
    Well, I'd be surprised if there was much from the standard set of modulations that you couldn't do with it, although I'm not a massive fan of modulation effects.

It's worth noting that you've also got all the M-series effects in the Legacy group too, so there's a massive breadth in there.

If you've got an audio interface, you could always download Helix Native and give it a go for free? I think you get 14 days' free trial.
    Does a vox air gt count? Does have a flat option. Granted it would show off the native as much as a audio interface would but might have a go?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    What are the modulation effects like? I have a strymon möbius and I love the harmonic trem, Leslie and envelope filters. Can it match the strymon? Guess I need to find out! But with the presets you just tweak each to your settings I guess. 

depends how particular you are about the strymon sound.

I sold Mobius after getting helix. I think prefer the helix + legacy mod sounds. but much prefer the interface, as they have less options on them! I found it easier to put on a different type of phase or flange that I know the ball park sound of, rather than trying to programme the Mobius to get that sound.

• sgosden said:

I sold Mobius after getting helix. I think prefer the helix + legacy mod sounds. but much prefer the interface, as they have less options on them! I found it easier to put on a different type of phase or flange that I know the ball park sound of, rather than trying to programme the Mobius to get that sound.

Thank you!

how much would a second hand helix go for?

is it worth buying new for reliability v used?
    sgosden said:

Thank you!

how much would a second hand helix go for?

is it worth buying new for reliability v used?
    If you're worried about the expression pedal, then you've got no choice but to go new.

Certainly, you shouldn't go for a second-hand LT.

With that said...if it dies and you've joined the Helix group on Facebook, most people with dodgy expression pedals have posted and Frank Ritchotte's given them a straight swap for a new one even if it's out of warranty. That's bloody good customer service right there.
    <space for hire>
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I’ve had two, one floor unit and one rack, they are excellent vfm compared to the competitors but always sounded too “digital” to myears though a lot of people love them
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    I've used Helix and Kemper ..........I came to the conclusion that you can easily dial either not to sound digital at all BUT they both sound digital when you use REVERB ......I don't know why but the clank and plink of any of the reverbs always makes the main patch sound very slightly digital and you can't escape it if you want 'verb
  • thats interesting! I guess i need to really buy one... 30 day return and trial it out or buy used! Thanks for all your advice. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2162
    I think it's like anything really. It depends on the user and the types of sounds they go for. 

I heard a comparison vid the other day, and I preferred the AFX2 and KPA tones to the Helix, but then I've heard videos where the Helix sounds awesome, too. So it's all relative, really.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Nerine said:
    I think it's like anything really. It depends on the user and the types of sounds they go for. 

I heard a comparison vid the other day, and I preferred the AFX2 and KPA tones to the Helix, but then I've heard videos where the Helix sounds awesome, too. So it's all relative, really.  
    I have had the Axe Fx2 and Fx3 and now have the Kemper, they definitely have the edge over the Helix to my ears, its not just the reverb. its getting your head around the fact that you hearing a "final" sound and not a source so the amplification is crucial to getting the best out of any system.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited March 2019
    sweepy said:
    Nerine said:

I have had the Axe Fx2 and Fx3 and now have the Kemper, they definitely have the edge over the Helix to my ears, its not just the reverb. its getting your head around the fact that you hearing a "final" sound and not a source so the amplification is crucial to getting the best out of any system.
    They all have positives and negatives.

I really like some of the Helix delays, but one thing that irritates is the reverse delay is limited to 2 seconds delay time.
    Edit- I meant 4 seconds.
    The FX8 and Axe FX II has a reverse delay up to 8 seconds long, which is much more useful.