How many used Helix?

What's Hot

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I bought a second hand Helix LT. Love it so much I sold my amp and now just use the LT with an Alto TS312 speaker. 

Haven't been able to use it live yet but I'm more than happy with the tones I've been getting. The added bonus of space and weight reduction helped the decision too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    It's worth adding that I went to see a professional band using just Helix with pedals into a PA and I did NOT like the live sound for a small room....whilst I use ear protection at gigs I felt there was just no ommpphh...but that could have been the PA or the venue. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I guess it comes down to investment and that thing we all love/ hate called GAS. If you have the thick end of a grand tied up in something and you want something else, it's an easy thing to get rid of. I do see a lot of people saying they sold it then instantly had a situation where it would have been useful. I do think having a Helix or an HX stomp (or insert other modelling product here) is a great piece of kit to have in the tool bag with you at all times just for that situation where you need it. 
    True. I also think some people don't get on with technology - you can very quickly dial in a decent tone on a valve amp. Just checkout comments on various forums and FB with people who never bothered to read the manual or watch any of the zillion vids on YouTube and who find products like the Helix too complicated to use.

I have an HX Stomp which sounds great and is easy to use.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    I've noticed this too.

The Helix popularity seems to be in a downward spiral.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Helix totally cured my GAS, have bought next to nothing for 3 years.  Keep thinking of selling it and going for a rack version :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Gassage said:
    I've noticed this too.

don't let the facebook or TPG cultists hear you say that!!!!!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    Gassage said:
    I've noticed this too.

Really? My social media feed would beg to differ.

I don't think its popularity is spiralling, it's just that its growth is slowing because it's reaching saturation of the available market (ie guitarists who aren't inextricably wedded to the idea of glowing glass bottles).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7542
    Gassage said:
    I've noticed this too.

There are lots of Strats for sale too. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Gassage said:
    I've noticed this too.

I imagine it' simply that Line 6 have sold a bucket load of them, also they released other versions which might hit players needs and it's been out for a while and some people just get itchy wallets and can't stop themselves from buying the latest and greatest version of a pedal.

I think I bought mine 4 months after launch. It remains my single best gear purchase ever, it's used every day for guitar, bass, vocals, VSTs, practice and recording. Sure it has some weak stuff, but those 4 extra loops cure that and the things you can actually do with it are mind blowing.

I'm looking into going the same route as @digitalscream and just getting rid of most of my other gear... except my Brunetti. Just because it's nice to have choice :)
  • TimmyO said:
    Gassage said:
    I've noticed this too.

There are lots of Strats for sale too. 
    Yeah... those Strats!  Huh.... they'll never catch on.  :-)
    You lot- Helix in a downward spiral? Pearls before swine, I tell ya.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7542
    Gassage said:
    Penny drops.... doh 
    Red ones are better. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    Gassage said:
    You getting one, then? :D
    <space for hire>
  • I keep trying the Helix, and constantly walk away unimpressed.   That said, as Ive used an AFX of one sort or another for 12 years now - I guess I like the Fractal set up and sounds. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7299
    sgosden said:
    What are the modulation effects like? I have a strymon möbius and I love the harmonic trem, Leslie and envelope filters. Can it match the strymon? Guess I need to find out! But with the presets you just tweak each to your settings I guess. 

depends how particular you are about the strymon sound.

I sold Mobius after getting helix. I think prefer the helix + legacy mod sounds. but much prefer the interface, as they have less options on them! I found it easier to put on a different type of phase or flange that I know the ball park sound of, rather than trying to programme the Mobius to get that sound.

Thank you!

how much would a second hand helix go for?

is it worth buying new for reliability v used?
    If you're worried about the expression pedal, then you've got no choice but to go new.

Certainly, you shouldn't go for a second-hand LT.

With that said...if it dies and you've joined the Helix group on Facebook, most people with dodgy expression pedals have posted and Frank Ritchotte's given them a straight swap for a new one even if it's out of warranty. That's bloody good customer service right there.
    As a counterpoint I had one with a dodgy switch on arrival and although Frank reached out it ended up going back to the retailer. My situation was a bit different as it was B stock I guess but the unit had clearly never been used..no fingerprints on the casing, screen covers still on etc.

I realise that Line6 arent under any obligation to go beyond their usual agreements with retailers so I dont think its necessarily a black mark against them just more a "dont count on them doing this for everyone" kinda thing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Gassage said:
    Its funny after you explain it :)
    sgosden said:
    Gassage said:
    Its funny after you explain it :)
    A damning self indictment of my wit.....

• I have taken the plunge and ordered one. 

After listening to countless vids I think the more you learn about it the better. Out the box its not going to be great but after tweaking and learning i think this could be just what i need. 

I understand this is split, like/hate but on paper it does a great deal and ticks all my boxes. I'm not selling all my amps and pedals just yet!
  • I have an LT and it's cured my GAS for pedals and amps. I use it with a pair of studio monitors and although it was a big cash outlay( and yes I could've got a really nice second hand tube amp for the same money) it's a lot more flexible and sounds really good.
    I will say that it is also pretty easy to make it sound crap. The best advice I can give is take a look at Jason Sadites' more recent Youtube videos for tips, start with the Placater, Litigator or Cali Texas amp models and maybe save yourself a bit of time by buying the Ownhammer Core Tone IR bundle.

• I have an LT and it's cured my GAS for pedals and amps. I use it with a pair of studio monitors and although it was a big cash outlay( and yes I could've got a really nice second hand tube amp for the same money) it's a lot more flexible and sounds really good.
    I will say that it is also pretty easy to make it sound crap. The best advice I can give is take a look at Jason Sadites' more recent Youtube videos for tips, start with the Placater, Litigator or Cali Texas amp models and maybe save yourself a bit of time by buying the Ownhammer Core Tone IR bundle.

Thats good to know. Can you combine speakers e.g. Blue and gold in a Vox 2x12 cab with the ownhammer bundle?

I'll check out those amps to start for sure.