Eastman SB59 issues, advice appreciated!

What's Hot
gregmgregm Frets: 49
Decided to believe the hype on the new Eastman Sb59 and bought one, after a lengthy delay before delivery I noticed two issues straight away.

Firstly the top outline around the cover for the pots cavity is messy and looks like they carved a bit too much away.

Secondly the guitar is setup to the recommended Les Paul action height on the 12th fret, but the bridge is very low. There is maybe another turn left on it before the wheel would be hitting the surface of the guitar. This means obviously I can't lower the action which I prefer on my guitars and secondly over time as the neck will move forward the only choice I have is to file the saddles on the bridge to lower the action.

I have raised this with the shop I bought it off, said I was not happy and offered 3 resolutions. My money back, or that Eastman be contacted and see what they would be willing to do or that my guitar is swapped. But if it is swapped I wanted to be able to pick the guitar flame as I did with my original order.

The reply from Eastman was that as they carve their maple tops closer to a violin arch (as they are a violin company), which is higher than other les paul designs this is the reason that the bridge is like this and it is completely normal. They also said that the bad finish around the cavity cover is also completely normal and expected as all of their guitars are hand made and the corners cannot be made as sharp as it can with a CNC router. That this is the way the guitars were made in the 50's and completely normal.

The responses from Eastman I find insulting, so they are saying as it is handmade, quality should not be expected and they have re-designed the les paul so that the bridge can't be lowered without filing the saddles on the bridge?

Also have to say the case that came with it is the cheapest looking one I have ever seen, and there is no shielding at all in the pots cavity which causes a hum. They didn't even seal the wood inside which from my limited knowledge means that the wood will still be absorbing moisture and can cause problems in years to come?

Am I being fussy here and over thinking things? Would anyone else here be happy after spending over €1800 on a guitar to have a bridge setup so low and is obviously pointing to a badly setup neck angle? The mistake on the back to me should have put this towards a Grade 'B' guitar instead?

What would you do?

Would appreciate any advice or opinions? Thanks

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RebarRebar Frets: 134
    No doubt, there are loads of Les Paul experts on the FB who can discuss the specs of the instrument and plenty of people with technical expertise who could comment on how best to set the guitar up. However, from what I see and what you have said, I would take the refund and spend the cash on a secondhand Gibson or a high end Japanese LP. In either case, the quality should be much higher and (if it were me) the issues you have pointed out would bother me to point where it would spoil my enjoyment of the instrument. Why would you bother to enter into a debate with the company when you are not 100% satisfied and their attitude is so dismissive? Take the cash and run!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I'd return in it. The control cavity routing is cosmetic but no excuse really. I have handmade guitars with near perfect cavity routing.

I would think the neck angle is not correct for the bridge to be that low to the body. Do a quick Google and there are loads of images of Eastman guitars that don't have the issue you have so its not by design I would suggest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Send it back for a refund.  At that price you don't want to have to compromise on this surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited March 2019
    I would send it back. It looks quite poorly finished. The bridge aspect would be an issue as well. Get a refund and get a Gibson. 

They aren't cheap guitars!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    There have been secondhand R8s popping up for around the £2k mark - personally that's where I'd put my money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    I have a few Gibsons, nothing high end and it was the reviews comparing these to historics that clinched it for me, the whole hand made message does make the brand stand out but as Rebar said it has ruined my enjoyment of it and can't see this changing. If the response from Eastman had been more accepting of the quality issues then I would have been tempted to get it swapped and give them another chance but now getting an R8 or R9 does seem like the way I should have gone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Unacceptable issues here. Go for the refund. 
    Just to be clear they haven't offered me a refund, I gave them the 3 options to get this resolved that I mentioned above. I am not sure if they will give me my money back at this stage! They wanted to have the guitar picked up and then see what was to be offered, but originally the guitar took 3 weeks to be delivered and I was not happy to send it back and wait again to see what happens!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Here's my SB59/v, action at the 12th fret is 1/16" Low E and 3/64" High E and plays beautifully. Neck relief at the 7th fret is approx 1/64".

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

If you bought online you do have a right to return it for a refund. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    get a refund its not fit for purpose, simple as that...dare I ask where you bought it from....dont be shy in telling us on here either...with the know how on here you will get this sorted in your favour pronto...the guitar is wrong it goes back you get your money, buy something 2nd hand of someone here    simples as Theresa Maybot May would say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    You absolutely have a right to return it.
    Not sure whether you’re in Northern or Southern Ireland, but give either Moloney Music (Galway) or Matchetts Music (Belfast) a call and see if they can provide contact to the Eastman rep for the UK and Ireland. From threads I’ve seen on the jazz guitar forum the US rep is very helpful. 
    Rebar said:
    No doubt, there are loads of Les Paul experts on the FB who can discuss the specs of the instrument and plenty of people with technical expertise who could comment on how best to set the guitar up. However, from what I see and what you have said, I would take the refund and spend the cash on a secondhand Gibson or a high end Japanese LP. In either case, the quality should be much higher and (if it were me) the issues you have pointed out would bother me to point where it would spoil my enjoyment of the instrument. Why would you bother to enter into a debate with the company when you are not 100% satisfied and their attitude is so dismissive? Take the cash and run!
    You have hit the nail on the head, it has spoiled my perceived enjoyment of it. The wood used is very nice and it sounds great but since I got it I plugged it in twice. Appreciate your advice, cheers.
    The response I quoted above apparently came from the director of Europe for Eastman! The guy that designed it! The shop I bought it off contacted him. I haven't been able to find any contact details for Eastman outside of the USA anywhere online. Thanks for the replies, I was doubting things as the shop owner and Eastman are saying there is nothing wrong with the guitar like this.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Return it. The cavity would be fine but the bridge looks too low unless they offer a partial refund. You wont have issues with the neck pulling forward like on an acoustic but you might want to lower the action in future. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The cavity I believe is an aesthetic thing, “by design” rather than a factory mistake.

Even if they’re maintaining there’s nowt wrong with it, you’re still well within your rights to return it, it’s not a custom made thing.
    gregm said:
    The response I quoted above apparently came from the director of Europe for Eastman! The guy that designed it! The shop I bought it off contacted him. I haven't been able to find any contact details for Eastman outside of the USA anywhere online. Thanks for the replies, I was doubting things as the shop owner and Eastman are saying there is nothing wrong with the guitar like this.

They would....they don't want a return.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    Just looking at a used SB59? and noticed similar 'rough' cut edges around the control cavity - In line with your pics @gregm and similar to @RiftAmps ; - My bridge looks to be somewhere between the 2 - Higher than yours @gregm so I can easily get another thumb wheel in, at least and has a slick easy action, so little need to be much lower, if required
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Someone's badly over-sanded or had a small router fudge with that cavity lip, it's more than a result of normal by-hand slightly imperfect work or anything like that. Main thing is that neck angle is all wrong - I'd send that back no question.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Unless your relief is super high, that neck angle is wrong.

With the bridge to the deck and a normal relief, your strings should be pretty much resting on the frets if the neck angle is correct.
This discussion has been closed.