Got my Les Paul re-fretted by @FelineGuitars

What's Hot
Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
edited March 2019 in Guitar
The date stamp of my guitar (allegedly) makes it 31 years old – you might remember a thread when it was 30 years old, where I mentioned that it could probably do with a re-fret.  The long n’ short of it is that I put it off for about five years.  Namely over binding, nibs, what frets to get and who to do the job.  Or at least who wouldn’t either fuck it up, or give the guitar back feeling different (be it real or perceived).

After scanning the forum, a recurring theme was that FelineGuitars had done a good job. I made a point of checking out his guitars at the Guitar Show in 2018, and liked how “the blue one” felt 3 . After nearly a year of more huffing and puffing, my guitar approached 31 years old, so I booked a Health Check with Feline.  Another factor in going to @FelineGuitars was this story, which I enjoyed reading.  And if I’m honest, it gave me confidence that if the work was farmed out to an employee rather than done by Jonathan himself, it would be in safe hands.

At the Health Check, we talked about stuff like how/what I played (edited highlight) and I asked questions about binding, nibs, frets etc.  I was offered a short-term fret dress or a re-fret. I tried his guitars again and it was comforting to know “the blue one” still felt good, so I asked if mine could be re-fretted like that, including an earvana nut.  FWIW, there was no point worrying about nibs as they were mostly worn down anyway.

I got a call a few days later, saying the fretwork was done and suggesting it would sound better with pots and caps replaced (IIRC from 300k to 500k).  I put my faith Jonathan’s suggestion and got that done too.

Two things to note.  Firstly, when I got the guitar back, it didn’t feel any different to before I dropped it off.  But I noticed my playing had improved – for example, chords were easier to wring out or play delicately and single notes easier to hold on and add vibrato to.  That was probably from all the playing I’d done since leaving it in the shop (not).  Or more realistically, work done had made the guitar easier/better to play.  You decide. 

Secondly, I’ve only played amped up three times since getting it back.  But they were at volume through my familiar amp,  alongside bass, drums and other guitars.  The different pots did make a difference and I like it - feels like my volume knob goes up to 12 now.    \m/  

I kept the old nut, pots and caps, in case my 7 year-old son doesn’t want the heirloom.  Or if he grows up to be a cunt, I'll sell it to spite him, and spend the money - to go the way John Entwistle did. [/bucket list]  

No pics I'm afraid, as we can’t upload to this forum and I don’t have an image hosting account (don’t want one).  If we ever meet and I’ve got it with me, feel free to have a look or ask for a play.
9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    I like the use of the C bomb, it's in context and I think it adds a frission to the tale.

I've had a couple of Feline LPs in the past and the fretwork has indeed been outstanding, not that you need me to tell you that :-)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5403
    If it's the one you had yesterday, it sounded lovely. Probably not down to the fretwork, that, but nonetheless.

Although I think you'll need more than 500k pots to drown out @GuitarTango ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    What pickups has it got?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • No idea on the pickups.  It's an '87 model, I bought it in 1993 and AFAIK the friend it came from didn't change them.
    Snags said:
    If it's the one you had yesterday, it sounded lovely. Probably not down to the fretwork, that, but nonetheless.

Yes, that's the one.  Kind of you to say, even if you were the other side of the room.  :)

I could have gone louder... just chose not to ;)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    I sincerely wish that Feline would open a northen - York in fact - branch as it's a bloody desert round here if you want a guitar fettled properly.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    He did my PRS with 6100’s in 2013. It’s an amazing guitar.

Yes, now I’m in Nottingham, it’s a bit far to go. 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    No idea on the pickups.  It's an '87 model, I bought it in 1993 and AFAIK the friend it came from didn't change them.
    Snags said:

Yes, that's the one.  Kind of you to say, even if you were the other side of the room.  :)

I could have gone louder... just chose not to ;)
    Sounded good to me , wish i hadn't sold my Gibson Studio, but my back could not stand the weight :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Snags said:

And the BJ suppose to be boxy... (Amp we are talking about)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Jonathan at Feline has done work to both my Les Paul's, largely installing some BKP Nailbombs and making sure they play nicely, and he's done a fantastic job. Both guitars are still sounding amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Jonathan is a total gent and Tom is a really nice guy too.  If there's one thing I miss about London it's Feline Guitars!  They were always so polite when I visited and really down to earth.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My Charvel needs a bit of fettling, I'm going to be taking it to Feline I think, as I'd like an Earvana nut too.

That story about the Judas Priest Les Paul is amazing!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2 said:
    He did my PRS with 6100’s in 2013. It’s an amazing guitar.

Yes, now I’m in Nottingham, it’s a bit far to go. 
    Mine has 6100 fretwire, IIRC...    If anyone tried his blue guitar at the Guitar Show last month - same as that.
  • Snags said:

And the BJ suppose to be boxy... (Amp we are talking about)
    BTW, I was playing a Marshall JCM900 4501, 50W 1x12 combo.  Forgot to change it to pentode (after reading a thread last summer) so it was still set at triode/25w/low.   :s
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I had my LP Studio re-fretted by Feline a few weeks ago with Jescar wire and added an Earvana. It's an absolute joy to play now.